This S**ts Expensive

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clankizle, Aug 4, 2011.

1. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

I never really thought about how much money I spend on TF's til my girlfriend started looking at my recent purchases and I started to look at thing about what this hobby costs. I had stopped collecting for awhile and since Botcon have really tried to play catch up. All my little purchases ended up costing me 4 grand this month. Collecting is so expensive!!!!

Plus by buying I am signing up for the rest of hercules, the g1uppers menasor, the slagacon part II. I am just signing away future money. But it is worth it in the end when I walk around my Transformer gameroom and get to see what years of collecting have added up to.

2. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Damn dawg, thats like my yearly allowance on it, lol. Your back collecting with a vengence!

3. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    4 grand! D:

can i haz some? :p 

4. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hmm, and I thought spending upwards of 250 was bad, haha.

5. mentok27

mentok27 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't ran my numbers but in my 9 months of collecting I've gotten a lot of gear! I might take a full inventory

6. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    holy, smoly. I've been collection since 2007, have gotten everything botcon back to 2005 and my entire collection only averages 4k a year. Although that's still a lot.

I hope you have a nice job or your parents are indepently wealthy.

7. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Veteran

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Although I do keep inventory, I've found the best way for me to keep track of spending is too make sure my bills and family are paid for/taken care of first and then buy my plastic crack. This hobby is expensive and Id rather not know what I spend on a daily basis.

8. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah wait till you get into buying vintage and AFA-ed stuff! :ev: 

9. clankizle

I don't like AFA so much since I like to display my items out of box but I am well into my vintage collection, I have my G1 stuff, and moved to Overlord, Victory Saber. I remember my friends face when I ripped open Overlord to put his stickers on lol. I collect just about everything. (except Armada, I drew a line there)

10. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    IMHO you playing catch up on the things you missed. Once you have most of the stuff that you want, things will slow down a bit.

Here's some advice for you. Slow down on the spending. A lot of times people get burnt out on collecting if they buy to much stuff to fast.

11. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    ALL hobbies are expensive, but dropping $4Grand in one month on Transformers seems rather excessive. But then, I guess that all depends on each person's own opinion. It doesn't matter what anyone likes to collect or do, it will cost quite a bit. The key is self control and deciding what is worth getting and what isn't. My friend is into shooting, and guns are not cheap, neither is ammo. Another friend of mine is into collecting watches, and that is SUPER expensive. They all set aside a certain amount they are willing to spend each month and stick with it no matter what. It isn't easy, but it helps keep things (and the spending) under control. For me, I set my limit for buying Transformers to just $75 per month. There are very few exceptions because I have more than one hobby. If I only spend $50 in one month, I roll over the unused $25 to the next month and so on. At the end of the year, if I still have any excess left I put it in my savings account.

12. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    you didnt have to get everything

Thats pretty close to my budget for the year as I spend can spend 60 to 100 a week

13. Ribieconvoy

Ribieconvoy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I limit myself to 40 bucks a month. If I come out of the month with extra cash, I add it to the next, but I never dip into next month. I have other things to buy, including other toy lines, necessities, etc., but TF is still my main line. I had a period for a while where I was spending Waaaaaay too much on TFs and I didn't have enough for other luxuries like videogames or doing stuff with my friends. As long as you have the money to buy them though, I don't see why not though. But I would never spend 4000 bucks in one month! :lol 

14. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Takara Fanboy Collector

News Credits:
    ^Ah, pretty much the same thinking as you in that I dont usually afford/ collect AFA stuff. But I do draw the line when something uber rare like the C 10+ MISB, mint conditioned , pristine C-108 Artfire (the one shown in my sig) costs what you are spending for an entire month- yes its $4K for that!-, then things start to get into perspective on how prices have driven up tremendously to insane levels.

15. clankizle

I have cheerleaders that help me spend. Everyday I walk in with boxes my kids wanna see what I got and tell me how cool they are. lol. They like watching me put them on the shelves. On the other hand the GF is in the back not saying with her mouth but with her eyes "How much was that F'in S**t?" I took her to Botcon this year though maybe I can teach her yet.

16. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you can spend 4 grand without realizing it........I wouldn't worry about it.

17. ElectricPrada09

ElectricPrada09 Speedster.

News Credits:
    Four grand? And I thought buying a figure a week was bad. But hey like others said, if you can spend that much without realizing then I assume it's not hurting your wallet. So keep doing what you're doing. ..I guess. *Continues to scratch head on the idea of spending that much on Transformers in a month*

18. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    No Shit! :lol  I don't even wanna think about how much money I've spent on the plasticcrack in the past 6 months or so. I'm trying to finish off my G1 collection & I've only got 3 figures or so left to go. G1s are f#ck'n expensive! :lol 

19. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Just yesterday I finally finished recording my entire TF collection in Shmax, including date of purchase and price paid. Some of the prices I paid made me a little sick inside, that's for sure. Looking back now, I've made a couple of pretty bad decisions.

20. Dran0n

Dran0n miss me w/ that

News Credits:
    I think my entire collection doesn't add up to 4 grand. You're a champion.