This Old House and New England

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jorod74, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I mention the PBS series, but this isn't a TV discussion. Want to know about living in the New England area.

I watch This Old House with some morbid curiosity.
    I saw an episode where the crew wanted to buy a house to restore. a 900 sq. ft. house on just about 1 acre was $500k.
    Then the more i watch, the more i realized how hard it must be to live in New England if you work at McDonald's or the mall.

To build doghouse in New England can't be done for less than $75,000.
    it isn't the price of land, it is the permits, licenses, regulations, ordinances, EPA/Eco fees Structural codes, inspections and inspectors and somewhere down the line, Prognosticators...

I know I am using a bit much of the Hyperbole, but it is the impression i get from just watching a house get built.

so is it really that expensive to live in New England or is it the show?

I know the cost of living varies across the country, just curious about how i am perceiving something through the narrow window of a PBS program.

2. trump

trump WWBD?

Buy a house that looks good on the outside, fix the inside without telling anyone! As long as you aren't doing fancy stuff like granite, you can do a lot of it yourself, and not have to deal with getting permits unless you actually add on.

Also go rural. If you're not in a city, you only have to deal with county/state/federal codes.

Or buy a large patch of forest and build a secret house (plant a trailer house at the "front" of the property to throw them off). Though I suppose forest could be expensive.

3. KnightSaberAmi

KnightSaberAmi Nyan Nyan

Yeah seems like anything near the metros is priced hella high. The last time I looked at real estate prices south of Manchester, NH, I had sticker shock, and refuse to pay that much for a house unless I win the billion dollar lotto. However, like Trump said, its location, location, location.

4. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Both.

The show is going to showcase people with money to burn, because let's face it; rich people are more exciting to watch because they can afford cooler stuff. But also, the cost of living is generally much higher in New England because of space. Space is a commodity here, and the more you want when the less there is will cost you. An acre of land in the more densely populated areas of New England is unheard of. I have a 900 sq.ft. condo in a small, vibrant suburban city in Massachusetts (which happens to be very popular during October) that cost me $163k three years ago, but I have a tiny postage stamp of a back yard, not an entire acre.

5. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

you need a permit to build a doghouse?

(looks in his backyard) uh oh...

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    This is why i will never live in some places. People in California kept borrowing against their houses and the prices skyrocketed! They never paid much of anything except interest.

to get a shack in California you need close to a million. Take that million and build a home here and you got a mansion.

I am so glad I live in the part of the country i live. Shit is so far less expensive here.