This makes me sad...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by BraveMax, Aug 17, 2006.

1. BraveMax

BraveMax Used to speak Japanese

News Credits:
  2. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    There was a thread about this a few months back. As a matter of fact, I think my comment to this guy might still be at the bottom of the article.

EDIT: ...and I still hate his work.

3. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

It's sometinhg kinda stupid :p 

4. Banshee

Banshee Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I fail to see the artistic value of this... The misshapen forms he's made don't look like anything.

5. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    Not really caring. It's his TFs, he does what he wants with them. Who are we to say to people on how they should take care of their own stuff?

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Some people get upset when people waste large amounts of food or money that could have gone to charity, etc. Food and money are limited resources and someone else could have better appreciated them. This isn't much different. Someone is taking TransFormers that someone else could have appreciated--whether that means cherishing them and keeping them mint, or playing with them until they fall apart--and wasting them. Now, I'll admit that this guy appreciates them as a resource for his "art", but anyone with much sense can see that his "art" is not worthwhile. It's not aesthetically pleasing, serves no functional purpose, and has no higher meaning. It's not even original. Frankensteined "mutant toys" are a topic covered in the first Toy Story movie, and as art it explores nothing that hasn't already been done to death long ago by the Dada and Pop Art movements. It's a complete and total waste.

7. Optimus-JD

Optimus-JD Team Laser Explosion!

Ouch. All I can say.

8. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:

Well said, and if I may add, this art guy is a douche bag.

9. JaviSRK

JaviSRK Push my button.

News Credits:
    Art is in the eye of the beholder. In the case of Venus de Milo, when is it art, and when is it just a statue? Sure, we as TF fans can see it as junk, but to other people it's art.

10. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

His art represents growing into manhood? Thats pretty stupid. It's not art. It's just Trasnformers glued to other Transformers.

11. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Who's to say if this is art or not?

Seems to me he thinks he has a point, and in the end isn't that all art is? Personal Opinion?

Now my personal opinion on this is... its a bunch of crap. There are many ways of trying to express inperfection... even with 'pop culture' media. For instance;

'Batman is a shining example of function. He has transformed himself from a traumatised boy into human perfection, capable of virtually god like feats. As a model for the transition from a boy to a man, Batman is a pretty tough act to follow. The Fatman series brings some balance to the idea and represents the multitude of humans and social realities stuck somewhere in the middle. No longer a 10 year old boy, but not quite becoming the world saving superhero either.'

And technically its not exactly demanding is it? Nah, IMO, its a bunch of crap. And he exhibits this stuff? Ah well, just proves that saying, ones mans poop is another mans art. Smelly art.

12. Paper Mariowned

Paper Mariowned Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So wait...he bends a few limbs on Scorponok and a Go-Bot and suddenly it's hard? Hmm, if he presented that as his first work of MisFormers art they'd have laughed and punched him in the stomach

13. flamepanther

He says that the point of his art is to instantly communicate a complex idea to the viewer. Yet it obviously does not do this most of the time and he has to explain it. His art fails to do what he says he meant it for. The idea he says it represents is also incomplete. It doesn't represent growing from a child into a man, it (supposedly) represents the failure to grow from boyhood to manhood. Okay, so what does it have to say about that failure? Nothing, or does the artist have to explain it again? Even the very (supposed) premise of his (supposed) commentary and examination is based on a flawed premise. TransFormers transform from vehicle (or whatever) "to robot... and back!". So men are supposed to become boys again? Also, if the vehicle mode is supposed to represent boyhood, then his misformers don't even start as boys. They're just abortions. How is not becoming a man a failure if you don't start as a boy? If that's all there is to it, he also shouldn't have to keep expressing the same unfinished message over and over. I surmise that he has found his "niche" that brings him attention (and money), so he keeps doing it until it stops getting attention. He's a one trick pony.

14. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Scorponok isnt posed, he's clearly breakdancing.

I dont get what the appeal of his 'art' is, perhaps to TF collectors who want the parts to rebuild figures, but otherwise, it looks like crap.

The Mirage flower is especially crappy in the respect that its nowhere near the size its depicted.

15. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    I think those are just reference pics (for size), and that sure isn't a gobot. Stupid as his work is, it's way more complex than that.

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah...there are -loads- of art pieces that one could rather accurately identify (in a literal sense) as not looking like anything, junk, stuff piled on stuff, etc. This just happens to be on-topic. :D 

Personally, I find 'em kinda interesting, especially the ones that actually aesthetically please, like the Energon Dreadwing flower or the "ring o' buildteam". Not to mention that loads of his source material could be had for insanely cheap loose at Botcon's dealer room. Also love his official-style instruction manuals, hehe.

That and I can't help but laugh at how utterly outraged some people get. ;)  The only -broken- stuff are like...basics and deluxes from RiD-onwards. And obviously this artist guy is getting some kind of enjoyment out of what he's bought, and that's really the whole point of toys.

*edit* Should add, I'm not poking fun at the dissections of the guys' intended message, mostly just the toycentric bits. :D 

17. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I guess if you suck at kitbashing, you just call it art.

18. flamepanther

I guess you overlooked the hacked off bits of G1 Grimlock and Silverbolt, among others.

19. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yep, missed those. :)  Though again, I've seen enough junkers of those two toys to not really blink at individual pieces.

20. Brave Magnus

Brave Magnus Drawings from Argentina! :D

News Credits:
    :lol 

I agree that this is some sort of art but seeing all those poor toys. He could sold the toys instead of using the pieces for his "art".