This key could have saved us from a terrible film.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:

LOL. KA, that was the funniest thing - thanks for making me laugh this morning!

I made my GF at the time (wife now) mad when, at the end of the movie, as "Jack" (Leo's character) is floating, frozen, on the board (Dumbass didn't have enough sense to find one floating somewhere else?), and I started calling him Jack-sicle...

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Seen Titanic. Hated the love story aspect of the film.

My brother had two Titanic movies, I believe they are S.O.S. Titanic and Raising The Titanic. Had anyone seen those two? I don't remember those movies well, I know that I have seen them when I was young, so I can't say how good they were.

3. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

What is the deal with that? I mean, a movie makes some money and you'll get EVERYBODY saying it was a trite piece of crap, even if it was actually a pretty good movie.

I personally liked Titanic. It did a good job of pulling you in by putting a face on some of the people that were on the ship. I'm not ashamed to admit that I like romance movies, and thought Titanic did a good job with the romance aspect. It wasn't over-the-top humping every second, yet made you believe that there was love involved. The fact that it made money doesn't detract from the fact that it really was a good movie.

As far as making a good historical documentary with some of the same footage, they did. I've seen it. It was an Omnimax movie where the basic premise was going down to the Titanic with the small camera probes that were used for some of the things in the big-time movie, and there were a lot of things from the main Titanic movie interspersed with it. It showed a lot of history of the company that owned the ship, and a big part of the movie was dedicated to recreating the actual wreck and how everything went down. It was a really, REALLY good movie as far as dry history goes, and didn't involve the love story at all. That's probably the movie most of the folks in this thread should have seen first, or instead of, the main blockbuster movie.

I do wish they would have reformatted that movie for regular TV and put it out on DVD in a box set with Titanic. It would have made a lot of Titanic critics happier than being stuck watching a movie they obviously dislike with their spouses who probably love it. And I'd love to see it again some day.

4. Arcee

Arcee Optimus Scourge Forever TFW2005 Supporter

The key is an interesting find. And I liked the '97 movie, though a movie with all true characters from the ship is better.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Yes... if you're going to do a movie based on historical events, the least thing the filmmakers could do is just focus on the people who were there, than use fictional characters.

6. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    The key thing is interesting, I never new about it. I still like the Seinfeld take on the movie.

George: So that old woman, she's just a liar, right?

Jerry: And a bit of a tramp if you ask me.

7. Night Flame

Obviously you're not a fan of historical fiction. Nobody claimed, at any point, that Titanic was going to be a documentary. Documentaries tend to be a bit dry and not very money-making. Something tells me that's not the aim of the Titanic movie that got made.

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

It's not that I don't like historical fiction, but... there was a book about Titanic that gives us stories from those who survived the ship's sinking, and I just thought that they could have someone play as one of the survivors -- doesn't have to be someone that was well-known -- and this survivor would be telling the audience his/her take on what had happened. I didn't say that it have to be done documentary-style... just try to present the true story in an entertaining way, that's my take.

9. Night Flame

Is there some sort of reason why historical fiction can work as well? Or is this one of those "just 'cause" type of things I'm never going to understand?

Like I said before, I liked Titanic, and a HELL of a lot of other people did too. Yet it's funny how now, looking back, nobody seems willing to admit it.

10. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ha, the thing is, if I liked the film on release, I'd have it in my collection, I mean I have some real turkeys on my shelf that get me a load of grief every time some friends came over. They marvel at how I could possibly have things like Street Fighter: special edition, Masters of the Universe and The Mummy Returns.

I dunno. I think with Titanic, once I'd seen it (at the cinema no less) there was never any reason to watch it again. IMO. I guess what I'm saying is its not that bad, but its not that great either.

11. Evil Porkchop

Evil Porkchop Pork, the evil white meat

It wasn't only the rupture in the side of the hull that caused the Titanic to sink. As the rip in her hull was only about 12 square feet. What caused her to sink was water flooding into the ship and slowly pulling the the bow of the ship towards the waterline until the water flowed over the bulkheads. Titanics bulkheads were not "water tight". So even if the ship would have hit the iceberg head on, it would have ruptured the hull and popped the welds/rivets, which would have lead to the same flooding that occured, but possible at a slower rate. I'm not saying that 'watertight" bulkheads would have saved the ship, but it may have saved more lives.

12. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Came in here hoping there's a key to lock Uwe Boll away.

13. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

A key? What the lookouts couldn't use a wrench to break the lock?

14. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Enter: Crow's Nest...

Lookout #1: "Dammit..Dave didn't give me the key to the binoculars case."

Lookout #2 "Aah..what could go wrong?"

Enter: Forward deck, where crewhands are busy rearranging chairs...

Kate: "OMG I hate being rich."

Leo: "Uh, yeah..me too."

15. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

There is, but Paul W S Anderson stole it because he needs Uwe Boll out there to make him look like a passable director in comparison.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    LOL. Does anyone actually have an Uwe Boll or Paul WS Anderson film in their collection?

I have 2... Soldier (cuz Kurt Russel is da bomb) and House of the Dead.... I have no excuse for that one.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I have Mortal Kombat, but I only paid £5 for it and i'm under no illusion that its anything other then amusing cobblers.

18. Mixmaster

Mixmaster 4F 68 A0 54 69 74 73 21

News Credits:
    Umm yes, Event Horizon :confused2 

It's not a terrible film, if anything too much got cut.

19. QuinJester

QuinJester T. Bison

News Credits:
    House of the Dead is good for comic "dear god what the hell are you making us watch?" value. Much like "Saw" it is best watched with a nerf gun in-hand ready to shoot the people on screen for being stupid, and a shot glass in the other to dull the pain.

As for breaking locks, heh. It's easy to say in hindsight "why didn't he just break a lock on the door?" Where the person actually there would have been thinking "shoot, it's locked. Hell if I'm going to lose my job for breaking this boat. Oh well."

I'll bet most people who said "why wouldn't they break the lock?" wouldn't have broken it if they'd been in that position, either.

20. Foster

Foster Haslab Victory Saber Backer #3 Veteran

News Credits:
    And Billy Zane should have had better aim.