This key could have saved us from a terrible film.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tikgnat, Sep 23, 2007.

1. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  2. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

eh. I never finished watching the movie even though Im totally fascinated with the Titanic.

Interesting bit of history. But I was under the impression that the second pair of binoculars were themselves lost or misplaced somewhere on the ship. I wonder if it would have made a difference.

3. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Even as old as it is 'A Night to Remember' is a far better movie.

--Moony

4. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

If the captain had rammed straight into the iceberg rather than trying to dodge it, we would've been saved from a terrible movie.

5. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

I.... what?

6. X-BRAWN81

X-BRAWN81 Survived Huriicane Dolly

I concur, A Night to Remember is by far the best Titanic movie out there. I know its one of my favorite black & white movies.

7. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

The only good part of that movie is Kate Wenslet naked.

8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

I know it doesn't make sense, but that's the way the Titanic was supposed to be "unsinkable".

You've seen the movie, I assume, so you know that the bottom section of the ship was separated into numerous compartments by bulkheads; the idea was that, even if some of those compartments were filled with water, the ship could still keep going. If I recall correctly, six such compartments was the maximum.

Now, if the captain had ordered the ship to maintain course and ram into the iceberg head-on, only a few of the front compartments would've been filled with water. However, in the process of dodging it, the iceberg tore a very long rupture along the side of the ship - easily consisting at least seven compartments, over the maximum limit. As the front of the ship was submerged too much, the water started flowing OVER the compartments, causing the ship to sink.

9. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

I enjoyed Titanic, the movie gets way too much hate.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I didn't know this--I honestly thought you were saying the ship would have sunk faster, preventing them from making a long film about it.

But that's much more interesting.

11. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah, I have heard this too. Supposedly, the exact thing that happened was really the only way this ship could have sank. They did exactly what they shouldn't have when they turned the ship. We had the titanic exhibit in Birmingham, and they mentioned this.

Really amazing, when you think of it, everything that had to happen for this ship to sink happened - no binoculars, way the ship hit the iceberg, the exact place it hit the iceberg (causing the front end to sink first, raising the rear and causing the bow to break away from the stern) - crazy!

That movie got on my nerves (looking at you DiCaprio!) but I think in some respects it was a very poignant look at class-divides and, to some extent really, was quite heartbreaking. I don't think it was horrible, it's just they played it so much for so long, it got annoying. Factually, it was actually surprisingly accurate.

Plus, Kate Winslett looked HOT in that movie! And, even though I didn't like DiCaprio then, he has done some really great acting, much to my surprise, such as the Departed, Blood Diamond, Catch Me If You Can, the Aviator, and Gangs of New York.

12. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    And thousands of lives dying!Gesh I feel like people our more focused on we could of avoid a movie than we could of avoid people dying

13. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Hey, I don't even think Titanic was "terrible"; I was resonating the first poster's message. :wink: 

14. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I don't think Titanic holds up well in regards to all time classics. It's not really a bad film, but because it was so big, it is hard to take it seriously now.

15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

Well like they said above, A Night to Remember is a much better movie.

What ruined the '97 Titanic movie was the unnecessary inclusion of the tacky love story.

16. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

IMO Titanic is like an afternoon TV melodrama that accidently got given the budget of an old style Holywood mega epic, its a crime that they didn't simultaniously shoot a proper historical film about the disaster with the same sets and props before they chucked a load of water over it all.

17. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

So they're saying that if they this key they would have had access to the binoculars that would have spotted that iceberg and saved the ship and everyone aboard huh? And they knew they were traveling through iceberg invested waters since, ya know, they were sailing through the north Atlantic at the beginning of spring right?

And yet the dumbass Captain, First Officer, and everyone down to the lowly peon that was physically freezing his sorry ass off sitting in the crow's nest never had the simple thought to BREAK THE DAMN LOCK TO GET THE BINOCULARS OUT?!?!

1st, it wasn't thousands, that would mean that at least 2,000 people died when the article says it was 1,522

2nd, it happened nearly a century ago, so it's safe to bet that those people would have died already anyway

3rd, everyone's gonna die so no need to get all defensive about it and just make light. If that does bug you, I think you should know that practically every doctor makes jokes about their patients, even the one's who died, it's the only way they can stay sane in the face of so much death and sorrow.

18. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    'Excuse me? You want to break the lock on that locker on our maiden voyage? Get the fuck off my ship.'

True words.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    this made me LOL.

think i watched it 3 times at the cinema, the then GF made.

ok i fess up, it was all me.

i dont think the key wouldve really made a difference but its prolly effective to hype up that auction. dude who won it prolly sail over the site and 'oops i dropped it in the ocean' gramma winslet style. the he plays the celine dion track on his ipod.

20. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Even that wasn't really the problem. A good solid romance, even hitting the same basic themes, could have worked well, but the characters were paper thin, some of the performances were horrid, and the plot cliche'.