This is why I love my new comic shop.

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Spider Striker, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Upon hearing that Gary (the store's owner) had not seen "Titus," quite possibly the greatest TV show ever, I loaned him my DVD box sets. I had no hidden motive in doing this. I just thought he should see it, and hey, his is the only comic store I've found that just let's you come in, sit down and read without paying a dime (a service I've made very good use of).

Yesterday, my roommate and I made our weekly comic run, during which Gary returned the last set. We hang out for a bit, shooting the breeze, talking about how stupid FOX was for canceling such a great show, and then me and the roomie decide to check out.

My total came to $13 and some change, and after taking my debit card, Gary pauses.

"No, let me redo this," he says, clearing my order. He then re-scans my new stuff (I had bought some back issues) saying "I was being quite the bastard."

I blink in confusion, but figure that something just scanned twice or the like and he's fixing it.

"You loaned me DVDs and entertainment," he says. "The least I can do is give something back."

My new total is $8.47.

After paying, I say "I'll have to loan you some more stuff now."

His response: "I like this theory."

Love that place.

2. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Yay for Comic shops... mine just try and make me buy more stuff :( 

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

It's kind of like the bar I go to with my buddy Mike.

No cover, don't pay for beer, and the waitresses are hot as hell. It's all understood.

4. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's ALL about customer service.

For example, one of my new Anime renters works for my local Gamers. He brought two disks he rented back and informed me that they were a little scuffed and his player had trouble reading them. Before I can say anything, he then tells me that he took them into work and had them buffed.

I thanked him and the next time he came in to rent I told him it was on the house along with any others he wanted. To which he said he'd clean up any more he found that needed it.

Good deeds and favors should always be rewarded on both sides of the counter.

5. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    They make me try to buy more stuffs as well :( 

6. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I want to go to that bar.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I love talking to the guys at my shop. Very awesome and cut me deals all the time.

8. Edge

Edge weapon of destruction

I changed shops as well recently its the same I can stand there and shoot the breeze and given all the stuff thats going on with changing over they have been more then helpful getting issues the other place seems to be missing when I go in. And are being very gracious as all this goes on. I may of lost a discount by going to this place but paying full price I'm finding I get what I pay for.

9. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

The guy in my comic shop seems rather friendly but I think it's mostly because the place doesn't get a whole lot of business. I'm not a regular comic buyer (that may change with the industrial rev. TFs, woOO!) but every comic book place I've known of in this town has sank.

10. thefrozenred

thefrozenred 4 8 15 16 23 42

Ebay:
    Being a regular at my shop has recently had its benefits as well, in the way of being offered the variant Daredevil #82 and Astonishing X-Men #13 covers at normal retail price. Both of which currently sell on eBay for at least twice the cover price.

11. Dalarsco

Dalarsco Kickback=ROCK

My nearest comic shop was too far away to get to regularly, but recently a new one opened up on my route to school. (Right across the street from my old school. Too bad it couldn't have opened up before graduated.) Now I can actually buy comics regularly, and go in every Wednesday and chat with the guy who works that day about the various stuff we read. This rapor has probably caused me to buy more stuff. It's simple business sense. Treat all your customers like friends, and they will tend to spend more money. :thumbs2: 

12. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The guys at the comic shop I go to as friendly as well.

Unlike Forbidden Planet (especially the one in Edinburgh) where they are stuck up there own asses.

13. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I was going to the same shop for 15 years or so (ever since I started collected the TF comic after the cartoon was canceled) so I knew the guys there quite well. After following them through two moves (each time closer to my house) they went out of business. I had been getting a 10% discount or so and it felt like the end of an era. But they refered all their long time customers to another comic shop less than a mile away. I know the guys there well too. One of the guys from the old shop now works at the "new" shop. The "new" shop is where I got most of my back issues since the old shop really didn't have a selection anymore. Anyway, I still get a discount at the "new" place too which also specializes in used books, mainly sci-fi. The old place had model kits and model trains as well as comics. The owners of the "new" place also adopted a cat last week. Her name is Friday, because that is when she found her new home.

14. Shipwreck

Shipwreck Will smack your bitch

The comic shop that I go to the owner is a prick. He doesn't even allow one to browse through a comic because it is not a library.

15. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

I wish I had my old comic shop back... they were awesome as hell in there. They gave me free stuff, discounts, Customer appreciation nights once a year... it was awesome. The one I go to now is terrible. The guy who works there doesn't have a fucking clue about comics. He orders in for Teen Titans Annual #1 what was requested for the boxes plus one for the shelf. And guess how fast that one on the shelf sold?

My lifelong plan is open my own comic shop that was everything my old shop was and a heck of a lot more.

16. Neomarsala

Neomarsala Transform and Roll Out

My comic shop is too far away for me to go there regularly. I probably make a trip there once every two weeks or so. I haven't really gotten to know the people that work there, but they are all pretty nice. They have pretty good sales about 2-3 times a year(50% off back issues, 25% off TPBs, etc...).

17. ArmadaJetfire

ArmadaJetfire <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

Love my comic shop. Guy always cuts me deals, loans me his DVDs ( and vice versa), Lets me take stuff and pay for it next week, stuff like that.