This is why I hate modern gamer culture

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gojira Prime, Feb 28, 2012.

1. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

that aris asshole needs to be taken out back and get is hands broken.

2. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    For the record, Aris has apologized –but he is still an idiot.
    Sure, there’s free speech in America –absolutely.
    Then there’s also socially being an ass.

If I’m hanging out in the bar with my friends I may speak one way, if I’m in more mixed company I temper my language accordingly.
    If there are a camera and microphone present, I may even consider that my words and actions will be placed on historical record forever.
    It’s not censorship –it’s being socially adjusted.

Not only did he demonstrate poor social skills, but he then sought to verbally defend them.

It's a shame, really as he had an opportunity to be part of something that could have brought fighting games, and games in general, to another place.
    Instead he just acted like an idiot and thought to legitimize his actions with the argument: Hey, this is how we act. Deal with it.

I totally agree.
    And I’ll also state that for every hundred ‘Youranidiot’ or ‘T-BAG-U’ morons that I have run into have not in any way diminished the fun that I have had playing with friends online.
    I have made friends with several people from this board playing Street Fighter.
    When Gears of War 3 first came out I spent almost every night ‘hanging out’ with my nephew in New Jersey, a friend I work with now, and a friend I used to work with.
    Those were great times.

Are you okay? BUSTER WOLF!!!
    :thumb 

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Smasher if our Halo Reach session were ever broadcast, we'd be in prison. Maybe just as well, lmao.

4. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

He apologized.

...nope, I still think he should have his hands broken.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

For all its family friendly credentials, the Mario franchise inspires more rage and abuse in both myself and other people I know IRL then anything else in gaming. I've often played Kart with a group of articulate middle class professionals and it inevitably descends into the worst language and blackest humor you could possibly imagine within 5 minuites.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Oh yeah.
    Ivan was in rare form that night. :lolol 

7. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Fuck I need a time machine.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I just watched all 13 minutes of the video in that link.

Aris' claims that 'the fighting game community is under attack' are complete excrement.
    It's simpler than that. He was filmed acting like a moronic ass and now he's being called out on it.
    The guy obviously thought that camera + microphone + cute girl = Howard Stern opportunity.
    The problem is that girls on the Howard Stern show are going on the Howard Stern show.
    The girl in this equation was there for a video game tournament\show.

But he kept slogging ahead even though she obviously wasn't playing along.

9. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    :lol  So would I. As someone who's played quite a few games over Xbox Live, I think it's safe to say that Call of Duty is where the worst people are at. They're pretty much inhuman.

You and me both. :( 

10. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It's to the point that I play exclusively in a party with my friends online, we're all approaching late twenties mid to late thirties in age and honestly, we don't have the patience for it. We'll go online to try to engage with people every once in a great while, but it's few and far between.

I find it quite funny how quickly you can get this behavior to stop, most of the younger generation online have no clue how stuff can be forwarded/sent/complained to Microsoft about. Case in point, I was playing Grifball a couple weeks ago on Reach, and accidentally killed a teammate while going to hit an opponent (happens ALL the danged time in this mode) and the 8 year old (I'm assuming) got pissed, sent me a very vile and threatening message about it through Xbox Live. I politely informed him that I was forwarding it onto Microsoft due to the threat, and he could explain to mommy and daddy how he got banned from Xbox. He then initiated a voice chat, I figured, "sure, let's see what happens here" and then tried to speak in a baritone voice :lol  "you shouldn't have done that to me", I laughed, and told him to knock it off, he wasn't fooling anyone. It was part of the game, it wasn't intentional, and if he is going to take it that seriously, then maybe he should go to a different game mode. He apologized and I let it drop. I've encountered him in a few matches since and he's toned down a bit. I'm guessing mom and dad might have had something to do with it, but it still strikes me as funny how many of them think they can get away with something until someone actually calls them on it.

But yes, online gaming sucks for the most part now in the "popular" games. And this whole thing was deplorable.

11. Thalack

Thalack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The online gaming community is why I'm back to playing mostly single player games. I'm sick of the people and their attitudes. It's kind of sad and sickening to see people acting like this, and I've dealt with a ton of these similar asshoels in WoW. That game I'd say is about 1% reasonable, sensible people, the other 99% are these idiots. I've had some many threats from players, either saying they'll make sure I never raid again to as bad as saying they'll find out where I live and kill me. It makes me wonder how they interact and conduct themselves in real life situations.

12. Starfire22

Starfire22 :D

News Credits:
    Reminds me of the time me and my friend played MKwii, with him using the blue shell in mushroom valley (with me ending up in the bottomless pit), and ending up with a fight...

Yeah, mario kart isn't good for people with anger issues. :lol 

13. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I never said idiot 12 year olds were something new. What I meant was thanks to online gaming it's easier for them to interact with people like you and me and act like douche bags. Such things didn't happen before because most of the time you'd be sitting down playing splitscreen with your buds, not random lil kids from across the country.

14. shumworld

shumworld Well-Known Member

I remember one time I played Gears PvP. I got blown apart and all of a sudden I heard someone screaming in speakers... "i got you SHUM-BITCH." I prefer CO-OP over PvP any day.

15. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I used to get really angry when I would play a game and loss. Now, I play and have fun rather I win or loss. As for this guy, he appears to basically be saying I can mock anyone I want if there are a girl and a gamer. I didn't read it all the way but that is what I got out of it.

Funny you should mention that, I remember playing DOTM one time and this kid said and I quote: "Whoa, Barricade is sucking b*tch." It appears to be the way of the world to not treat people with respect. Of course that wasn't directly at me but I have been called an a**hole as well. I just shake it off and ignore it. Fighting back dosen't get you anywhre.

16. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    I remember joining an Escalation game in WfC one time, and it was populated by foul-mouthed idiot children. They seemed to be more interested in chasing each other around hte map and whacking each other than actually fighting the enemies - when they discovered I was getting most of the kills, they screamed at me to leave (which I refused to) over and over. Since I don't use a mic, my silence just infuriated them more...until the shotgunners started to show up and they needed help getting revived... which I refused to do. When the host finally ragequit, cursing me the whole time, I was laughing my ass off :lol 

17. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    Makes you wonder where the picked up such nasty language. They obviously weren't raised right.

18. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I get the whole letting loose around your friends and using some language you wouldn't normally use while playing video games (kind of a stress release), but what these "gamers" have turned into is just plane sick... Makes me glad I tend to stick as far away from online gaming as I can.

19. Dirge121

Dirge121 I'll be your end of days

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Party Chat/Auto-mute > dealing with morons
    That is unless you want communication to be mostly questioning/insulting your sexuality and family relations.

But yeah, competitive online gaming is super duper shitty and not something I find myself missing.

20. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    The last time I participated in any type of online gaming was at a friend's house.....back in the Halo 2 days where this following conversation took place over the mic

Other people: You suck! We lost because you couldn't kill enough of the enemy!

Other people: Why don't you learn how to play better?

Other people: (add more insults)

My best bud: Oh...well I'm sorry I couldn't meet your expectations and kill more folks who obviously play this game more than I do. Tell you what, I'll go work on killing more folks in this game, and you all can go work on getting laid.

With that comment, everyone left.