This is why I hate modern gamer culture

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Gojira Prime, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One hour on Xbox live with a mic is way worse than that. And that's just the 12 year olds.

3. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Kid's don't play outside anymore, and they end up like that. Disgusting. It makes me fortunate to have lived through an age when I could thoroughly enjoy NES and SNES.

4. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So what he's literally saying is "yo man, behavior that would be inappropriate in another social setting is just part of this form of social interaction, it wouldn't be the community if we weren't allowed to do things that are considered objectively repugnant, so deal with it"

Fantastic.

5. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I honestly think adults trying to justify this type of behavior is far worse than stupid kids screaming things they're not even going to remember in ten years.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Agreed. But those 10 year olds grow up to be the adults that attmpt to justify those behaviors.

7. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

True, which is why I include XBox Live when I say "modern gamer culture."

8. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
    This is why I haven't bought any system past a PS2.

I was at my friend's place Saturday and played Gears of War 3 online. I had never played it before, and I did not yet know how to mute other players. Holy-mole are these kids annoying and whiny. They constantly complained, screamed, yelled, cussed, the whole nine yards, whenever they got shot or lost. One kid actually left his controller mid-game and went off to make popcorn. You could hear it popping over the headset. Annoying as hell.

Heck, back in my day the most "tantrum" you'd get out of a fellow player was a good ol' "awwwwww!" or "darn" said in a fun "ah, ya got me! lol" kind of way. It was all in good fun. Maybe a shaken controller, stomp of the foot, or slap on the sofa here or there. Ah Goldeneye, those were the days.

Maybe the reason why kids these days act so unruly when they play video games is because they're no longer playing split-screen, sitting elbow-to-elbow next to a friend or sibling, who would be in arms reach to kick their teeth down their windpipe if they ever went into a full blown rage. They're all alone now, sitting in a room, free to do and act however they want.

When I played multiplayer, we learned to respect and congratulate each other on a good fight or a well deserved win.

Anyways, the Gears 3 whining got to the point where I just stopped caring for the game, so I popped in Twisted Metal and all was good.

9. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I just join a friends party or start one of my own when I play online, saves the hassle of having to listen to it

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    Y'know, it's not Xbox live, but online gaming in general. You get the same kind of people no matter where you go, PSN, Steam, Live, or hell, the internet at large.

Just remember they're not all bad apples. It's just the idiots usually have the bigger mouths.

11. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The problem with modern gaming culture is, well, there is no culture anymore. Thanks to the internet anyone who's anyone has access to gaming (not that it was ever different in that aspect before, I just mean there's a wider variety of people who have more access to interacting with more legit gamers and usually making us look bad, such as the fellas in that vid). And I agree with netkid. Back in the day being a gamer meant going to the arcade or sitting down and having fun. Nowadays it's just whoever's the best and if the game meets our expectations or not.

12. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

And to add, there are usually mute buttons and whatnot for online capable games...

13. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    I tried to stay away from current consoles, but finally purchased a PS3 about 4 months ago. I have never gone online with my PS2, so this was going to be my first experience with it. EVEN with all the advance knowledge that I had...I was still shocked to see just how pathetic people could be online. Mind you that I have only played two games online so far. Red Dead Redemption, and Ghostbusters. My third attempt will be the Transformers game War for Cybertron.

Even though Ghostbusters is a team game, where the main goal is to work together...you get that occasional baby who isn't scoring enough points, or wants to grab every power up, and they leave before the level is completed...wasting your time. I was lucky enough to have a friend who also purchased this game to team up with. She also helped me a lot with Red Dead Redemption for trophies, that are next to impossible to get the normal way since they are too hardcore and just want to kill instead of help.

I've come across a lot of assholes in RDR, and they were over the age of 18 (mentally, probably less) and from the U.S. The only people that I found during my time online that were pricks and outside the U.S. were Hispanic, since they were speaking in Spanish over the mics. I found a lot of very cool and helpful players from the U.K., which was nice.

I can only imagine the Horrors if I was dumb enough to play the trendy "Call of Duty" games online. -_- Kids, or adults with the brains of a child do this crap because they can hind behind their anonymity and feel that they can't get caught for what they do. For them, I'd love to pull a "Jay and Silent Bob" and get their address and pay each of them a nice little visit. :) 

TL/DR:

Most gamers online are assholes, just not all of them. When you find a good player, it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

14. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Ohh you have no idea" - Alfred

15. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Just imagine playing Mario Party or Mario Kart 64 online with voice chat. Imagine the pure verbal carnage that would come with every Chance Time.

Oh god, there are raging kids with mics everywhere. In fact, I was just playing Black Ops just a while ago and there was this complete douche who whined every time I killed him (Which I did quite often). By the sound of his voice he was most likely 15-17. Hearing him flip his lid every time I shot him down just made the game more entertaining.

16. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I think "serious" competitive gamers (both the actually serious and the XBL kids who think they are) in certain genres tend to insulate themselves too much to understand how they look to others. I don't think they should be confused with "modern gaming culture" at large, which has other problems entirely.

This is just a shame though. They can learn to talk trash and still be nice. Just ask Terry Bogard.

17. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Like flamepanther said, there's still plenty of ways to shit talk and do it in a way where people know you are joking and everyone can enjoy the games. The female in the article definitely seemed like she had a legitimate complaint and was being harassed by a group that just did not like her for whatever reasons.

I always had the opposite experience playing with our fighting game community. It's a predominately male hobby, so when a girl showed up to play some games or play in a tournament, everyone was usually overly nice and tried to help them or get them interested so they'd show up more often. As you can probably tell not a lot of these guys have GF's :) 

I will say that you guys that think this started with online gaming are completely wrong, though. This has been going on since the late 80's/early 90's when competitive fighting games first emerged in the arcades.

18. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If you and your circle of friends think its okay to make racist and sexist jokes amongst each other, then fine. Don't be surprised if the whole world doesn't see the same way you do.

19. DroidsBane

DroidsBane Bonkles FTW

by some cruel act every matchmaking game i went on in Reach i ended up in the same match as some annoying kid, he kept team killing and shouting the usual 12 yr-old BS, what was more annoting was i couldnt boot him from the match (it was Infection), since then i only party chat with friends.

20. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

The fuck are you talking about? Those misanthropic 12 year olds have always been around. So long as there has been any kind of competitive* gaming there is the issue of getting trash talked by an idiot 12 year old. Who lacks the vocabulary and in some ways maturity to properly trash talk you. And can dole only out the sexist/homophobic/racist remarks. I was getting cussed out by 12 year olds while playing the old Half-life 1 online games (Counter strike, Day of Defeat) ten years ago. My brother used to make it his mission to put down the really irritating ones every round in CS.

*And by competitive I mean high scores or winning an online match of some kind.