This is off topic but I need opinions. Very odd Ebay request.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HoosierDaddy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Decepticon. I'm no hero

News Credits:
    I recently purchased an item and it was paid for and received. Feedback has not been left for me by the seller but I did leave good feedback for them. But I got this email and a cancellation request by them.

"Hi, thanks again for your purchase. Could you help us save some cost by agreeing to cancel the original transaction? We will send a cancellation request, please click "agree", thanks a lot!"

I just don't know what to make of this? Ebay asked me to respond by Sept. 5 or the seller will cancel without my consent. What the heck? What should I do and what is this all about? Only thing i can see here is I could get left holding the bag. I cancel the transaction, the seller demands the item back, now that I have opened it and then I would be responsible to pay them a refund or something? I've been on Ebay for a long time and this is a first for me to have this requested.

2. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

I wouldn't do it. If I've received my stuff and they got paid, then the transaction is over. There is no need for further communication.

3. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
    My inferior intellect leaves me dumbfounded

4. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    Go with your gut and don't help scam the system.

Ebay does not hide fees from people and this guy knew what he was getting in to.

Worst case scenerio you don't go ahead with it and he leaves you a negative feedback. Which I am sure you can contest with ebay (save the email)

Best case scenerio it is only something he is trying to do and won't negative you for not agreeing. But I don't think you will be getting any feedback from this guy.

5. AutobotMaximal

AutobotMaximal Covert Collector

They're trying to get around paying EBay costs, etc. from the way it reads. That's against EBay's policy and I wouldn't be putting my account up for cancellation over it.

6. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Thanks for the advice. I don't care about not getting feedback at this point. I just don't want to put myself in a position to get screwed over, ya know?

7. HoosierDaddy

News Credits:
    Yeah, I've had my account for 10 years. I don't feel like losing it now over something like this.

8. blur3479

blur3479 Movie Prime Apologist

News Credits:
  9. Triple Melter

Triple Melter come on fhqwhgads

Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers.

OP: if you have your item there is nothing the seller can do to harm your account. A cancel transaction request has to be agreed to by both parties, so they won't be able to without your consent. You may want to report the seller to ebay however if you feel so inclined.

10. HighPrime

HighPrime Wake up with the King!

News Credits:
    I dealt with that guy before. Had the exact same request. I responded to the cancellation request with "no, that would be dishonest.' I then rejected the request through eBay. When you reject the cancellation, nothing can happen to you and no one will show up on your doorstep asking for the item back. This clown's attempting to skirt the system. What he should have done was list the item on TFW if he didn't want to pay the fees ;) 

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  11. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

listen to this guy.

12. Optimus1138

Optimus1138 Minecraft Addict

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This sounds like it could be a scam. If you got the item, and it's as described and in acceptable condition, consider yourself done with the transaction.

13. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Am I missing simething? If you accept the sellers request and the sale is cancelled then as far ebay are concerned it never happened. That means you.d have no trouble getting your payment refunded and keeping the item too.

Not saying you should do that but if the seller is opening himself up to being completely screwed over just to scam a few dollars from ebay then he sorta desrves it.

14. Bogatan

Bogatan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im really not suggesting you do it, either ignore or report the guy.

I just cant understand why someone would gamble throwing away what little protection ebay offers sellers to save 10%:

15. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Report them and tell them that consequences will never be the same.