This is not good news Sony.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by funkatron101, May 15, 2006.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I love how they put this on thier site as if it were positive buzz about their new controller.

http://www.us.playstation.com/News/Stories/4344

The article itself says "Unfortunately for Sony, the admission by one of the Warhawk developers that his team got its hands on the new controller less than two weeks ago reinforced the impression that Sony only added motion-sensitive technology at the last minute in a hasty attempt to match Nintendo."

Oops, looks like you didn't read it all the way through..

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    "Representatives from Sony didn't return requests for comment on the report"

That's my favorite quote.

3. Superman_Alpha

Superman_Alpha TF: Animated FTW!!!

Priceless

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've always been of fan of all the main console makers, but lately, the more I read about Sony and their copycat tactics, proprietary media, and insane pricing, the more I find myself hating them and wanting them to fail.

5. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't see the big deal in regards to the motion sensing controller. It's not like Sony's claiming they invented the technology. They saw something innovative in a competitor's accessory and they added it to their own. If they didn't do it, fans would be screaming that Nintendo's revolutionary and Sony's falling behind.

6. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Fans are screaming that now. It's just sad that Sony seems to have rushed it in really quick to steal some of Nintendo's gusto. Even one of the developers mentioned it seems tacked on for nothing more than to steal Nintendo's thunder.

7. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Nintendo wanted to be revoloutionary, and it looks like they got it a little sooner then they expected.

I do think it's a poor rip-off, though. Sony really didn't need to have the gyro at all. I'd take vibration features over the gyro anyday.

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Anyone watch the kojima interview on gamespot? even he's upset about the removal of the force feedback, and he too says he's only known about the gyro feature for a few weeks.

9. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

Personally, the whole "we had to remove force feedback to implement gyroscopic controls" sounds suspiciously like a smokescreen. Have we all forgotten that Sony lost that lawsuit over the Dual Shock force feedback and have remained steadfast in refusing to pay up for a license to use the technology? It almost seems like they were dropping that technology entirely and had to replace it with SOMETHING.

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Jeebus! Does nobody at Sony have their shit together anymore? I knew Kutaragi was crazy for some time, and a lot of the PS3 crap an be attributed to him, but this? You'd think their people would know not to post an article accusing Sony of struggling to "keep up" with Nintendo.

11. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

The deal is that this reeks of a panic move. The addition is a poor imitation of the Wii, and obviously completely unnecessary, as the PS3 was never going to have it. It's not so much that its wrong to do, as it that the way Sony did it just makes them look... pathetic.

12. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I know the guy that runs SOA’s internal security and I saw him at a wedding the weekend before E3 and he was agitated that Sony wouldn’t let them attach the game pads to the kiosks for security (remember when the Game Cube pad got stolen). He said they wouldn’t tell him why but word was coming down from on high they where just going to have security looking over every ones shoulders.

So to protect Sony this guy is supposed to know what’s going on but they didn’t even tell him.

13. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i think what it shows is that sony is getting scared of nintendo. looking at how the ds has been outdoing the psp i would be scared too. they don't want to lose their momentum. they've already got the pure horsepower over the 360 but they need something over the wii as well, it's just too little too late for too much.

14. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

DS VS PSP is totally different, though. Nintendo has had a strong hold on the portable market for, well, just about since
    the original game boy. It's more lke how Sony and Nintendo had the market for consoles, and now Microsoft has butted in.

15. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

it's not really all that different. the psp is a more traditional system that is touting it's extra features and higher specs while the ds is less traditional, has a new type of input, and wasn't designed with really high specs in mind, more based around the experience.

take that and replace "psp" with "ps3" and "ds" with "wii" and it's exactly the same scenario, just in console form, not portable. before the psp was out a lot of people expected sony to just move in and dominate because of the sheer cool factor but the lack of innovation and high price point have been holding it back, especially in japan. sony is obviously seeing that people have an interest in the wii controller and hastily added a tilt feature to it's controller as well to try and make it look like they are innovating as well. the last thing sony wants is for the whole psp/ds thing that's been happening for the past year and a half to be a foreshadowing of how the ps3 does against the wii. remember both companies are from japan so regardless of whether we think japan matters here or not that's where they are looking, and looking at japan and now the e3 reaction sony is probably a little scared right now.

16. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Thats exactly what I was thinking, those force feedback lawsuits.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/new_media/1815764.stm

Microsoft was in there as well, but they settled and coughed up the dough.

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/2003/07/29/news_6072673.html?sid=6072673

Whereas Sony lost their case and are being prevented even selling Dual Shocks anymore, pending their appeal.

http://www.joystiq.com/2005/03/27/sony-forced-to-stop-selling-ps2s-dual-shock-controllers-games/

Wow, I didn't know the actual outcome of the lawsuit, all I was aware of was MS settling.

Dual Shock 3 is its current working title, but without any shock of any kind, dual or otherwise. It certainly seems like a last minute panic E3 affair doesn't it?