This Is How I Think Hasbro Is Going To Be Able To Market TF2 Toys.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 31, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Alot of boardmembers have said that they'll probably skip alot of the Transformers 2 movie toys because It'll just be more of the same and if you have one Bumblebee, Prime, Ironhide, etc. Why would you need another one in a TF2 package? Right?

Well, that's where the trans-scanning comes in. If popular characters (Bumblebee etc.) scan new alt modes then I bet alot of these characters are going to be different (or slightly different) That way, we get something new in the movie and Hasbro gets a fresh set of movie toys to sell.

For example why would Hasbro put more yellow Concept Camaros with black stripes out there (in TF2 packaging) when they can have Bumblebee scan a different or slightly different alt mode in the movie and sell a fresh new toy that everyone will want.

What do you think?

2. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't know about entirely new moulds for all of them, but I wouldn't be surprised if they at least get new paintjobs.

3. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Yeah I'd have to agree with that.....I'm not saying that all of them are going to get new molds but, I bet a couple of them are going to use the trans-scanning feature in the movie that way Hasbro has new molds to market to collectors and kids.

I highly doubt all of the characters are going to come back for the second movie exactly the same because that would spell doom for the TF2 toy line. They couldn't possibly stick the same alt molds in a TF2 package and expect them to sell very well.

4. Transquito

Transquito Reach For The Light TFW2005 Supporter

Well, Hasbro could just pre-release all the orignal figures from the first movie. Those who will appear in the sequel, ofc.

If the movie script showed out like " the autobots gets new color scheme " or " that all of the autobots gets new molds ! " ... it would just be a cheap sale method.

1 Redecolor and 1 Remold is what i can take ... :p 

5. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I honestly doubt that everyone gets new bodies, mainly because the writers and Bay are still ultimately in charge of what happens in the film, and would probably rather not change up all the pre-existing characters and potentially confuse the audience just to sell a few more toys. (wouldn't be surprised if BB moves up from a concept Camaro to an early production model without any real mention about it, though)

I suspect we will see once the TF2 toyline comes out:
    . a few repaints and/or remolds of TF1 molds
    . some new molds for characters that stay the same, especially popular characters. (either in different size classes than before, or with a different gimmick package)
    . new molds for new characters (duh.)
    . new "kiddie line" toys, like Activators/Bumper Battlers/Whatever

My own guess is that TF2 movie toys will be successful, but not quite the "OMG we're PRINTING money!" success of the first film line.

6. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Don't blame me for the double post! The BOARD did it! :) 

7. diablien

diablien Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    TF2 = repaint city

8. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Mostly repaints + a few new molds

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I honestly see hasbro taking a second crack at alot of the old characters again. Bumblebee still lacks a true gun arm and his shoulder rocket. Ratchet needs his gun arm and sawblade. I do think hasbro will mix up some of the size classes as previously suggested.

Keep in mind that TF1 molds we based of incomplete or altered cgi models. Since the models will likely be used again Hasbro can make soem wicked detailed molds

10. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

I don't. I wouldn't expect them to go to all the expense of producing an entirely new figure that's essentially almost identical to one they already produced. Minor remoulds and new accessories (a la Final Battle Jazz and Premium Prime), maybe.

11. mordecai6

mordecai6 Mexi-con

News Credits:
    new gimmicks if anything. look at what the batman/spiderman toys do. It's basically the same character but with different weird suit or gimmick.

12. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

I don't expect the existing characters to change because they'd have to change the CGI for TF2. One of the reasons (I suspect) that TF2 is coming along so quickly is that they can use the renders for the returning cast.

That said, there's supposed to be a lot of new characters, especially Decepticons...and there's always repaints / slight remolds (Jazz into Ricochet), new videogame characters, etc.

The role-play toys seemed to be rather lucrative for Hasbro too - at least that's what I saw - so maybe there'll be more of those too.

13. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I don't know. I'm not expecting Hasbro to put out all new molds for the returning cast. Repaints or remolds sure, but considering that the movie is using the already designed renders (ie: no one has changed their alternate mode yet and probably won't either) I don't see a new mold hapenning.

Now, I suppose that it's possible that one or two of the returning characters could get a new mold in a size class that they weren't in the last time (like, I could totally see Bumblebe -the star Autobot- getting a Voyager class toy that was very altnernator like) or a Leader Class Starscream as he'll probably be one of the main villains. Hasbro did say at Botcon that any returning character was potential for a new mold though at Botcon... so who knows?

Though, we also now that there is going to be a whole slew of new Autobots and Decepticons (especially Decepticons). We know some of those now thanks to the spoilers from the casting call too:

Spoiler: we've got confirmation of Arcee, Jetfire (as an SR71 Blackbird), an Audi R8 and two twins that turn into an icecream truck... yikes...

14. JOHNDILLINGA

JOHNDILLINGA This Space For Rent!

News Credits:
    Here's my take on it.

Optimus (Leader Class) (Don't have it)
    Will most likey remain the same the only remolds I think he will get is opening chest pannels and a Matrix.

Optimus (Voyager Class) I'd like them to give the Voyager version a detachable Gun arm and his knife, balljointed head and the ability to transform the Engine compartment so it is flatter against the figure's back and is not so top heavy on the back. The mold is already a solid figure and imo the best version of Optimus out. Only real change would to make him slightly larger to stand over Ratchet and Ironhide but not Leader class sized.

Bumblebee (Concept)
    There's not much more you can do to make this figure better unless they retool the head to be more movie accurate and make it so you can slide down the battle mask, Make his gun smaller and have it so it can slide on to the arm instead of fitting in the hand.

Ratchet
    A ball jointed head his chain guns for the left arm and a better axe for his right arm and to incorparate his arm blaster into the design.

Ironhide
    A better transfroming design (too much hanging back kibble), balljointed head, Better acurate looking Cannons.

Arcee
    A better mounting piece for her crossbow weapon the current figure's weapon doesn't stay on so well.

Megatron (Leader Class) (Also don't have)
    Will most likely remain the same with some minor changes.

Megatron (Voyager)
    Also the best version of Megatron, does need some retooling, remove the Ice parts and put acurate parts in their place. Retool the radius of the arms so the fusion cannon can be held by both in combined mold. also make slightly larger to stand taller then Voyager Starscream.

Starscream (Voyager)
    This figure needs to be completely redone, get rid of the ridiculous missile launcher arms and realistic Paint job!.

Barracade
    Retool the waist and legs so he can stand properly! Flashing Light bar and redesigned arms.

Mostly I think all the figures need ruber wheels with clear transperant windows or realistic tinted windows.

15. nintendofreakgc

nintendofreakgc Bumblebee fan

Frankly, I'm surprised that Hasbro didn't hold off the Premium repaints until the new movie. Still, since those are already released (or heading towards release), I imagine we'll see more accurate toys of the returning characters. There would definitely be toys of some description, and I don't Hasbro could just re-release them or do a bizarre repaint of them because I just doubt that would sell.

16. Fort Max

Fort Max Too many is never enough. Veteran

News Credits:
    I expect Hasbro will just put some of last years toys back on the shelves but they'll be so many new movie character/off screen toys that no one will really care.

In other words, Bumblebee, Prime etc will be there for those who want them but they'll be plenty of new figures for those who already have them too.

17. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

So there were a lot of good toys created for the first movie, but we all know there was a bit of a rush on these things. That being the case, I suspect they have been reworking some of the molds that will be returning and I hope they redo some that might not, like Blackout.

I certainly expect better paint applications so that we don't have the premium experince again. The only way I see this happening is if Hasbro really believes this is a good marketing scheme. I thikn it would such big time personally, and I just don't see that happening. Expect some amazing toys for this next movie!

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I hope they give us working battle masks on the new figures. Imagine deluxe Bumblebee with a working bee mask feature. I believe the phrase that I am looking for is "hella tight."

19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

With other Transformers toy lines going on at the same time I wonder if they aren't just going to re-release some figures and then add the new movie characters into the line. A bit like how each Spiderman movie gave us pretty much the same Spiderman since he didn't change his crime fighting pajamas between films. Maybe not as many Primes and Bumblebees on the shelf as last time, but enough for the demand of kids that didn't have them the first time for some reason.

20. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, even if they do new versions of the returning cast... they'll really have to wow me to replace the one's that I currently have as I'm very happy with those. I understand that the returning characters need new figures to keep them on the market as well, but I definently am more interested in the new characters. Like I said, any returning character that gets a new mold is going to seriously have to wow me.