This is how figures become unattainable!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers On Ebay' started by Omegax80, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Omegax80

Omegax80 Using a Positive Rifle

News Credits:
  2. alldarker

alldarker M.A.S.K. Crusader

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My thoughs exactly... I very recently (like, this weekend) acquired a minty fresh MIB G1 Thunderwing complete with inserts and instructions (not through e-Bay, by the way), and it cost me a LOT less than this!
    It actually led me to ask (on this board) for a price check on G1 Thunderwing, because I just could not believe the pricing of some of the recently finished e-Bay auctions.

3. Omegax80

News Credits:
    I see someone on the boards offering $400 for a Shattered Glass Rodimus. That is insane. The buyers are driving the prices up way too high!! STOP IT!

At this rate I may never get my hands on a Thunderwing. I'm glad you were able to get one in box, but I just want a loose complete one in decent shape!!

4. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    Jesus thats a high price. I sold a thunderwing a while back for much less than that. Incredible the price some people are willing to pay.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well if that's what people are prepared to pay, then so be it.

6. simplygriff

simplygriff ยต - Elitist Dick

News Credits:
    Insert obligatory "...makes me consider selling mine" comment here. :lol 
    -G

7. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Not totally unexpected I would say. :popcorn 

I've been on another thread here on TFW2005 where a fellow member wouldn't bat an eyelid at drawing out USD $500 for a MISB.

In fact, there are people out there whom are willing to pay serious dough in order to get themselves the toys they're hankering after.

Some of 'em would rather pay more so as to cut back on waiting time, some others understand that it could take a very long time for an item to even show up for sale, especially if its rarer than rare & complete in pristine condition.

(We all hear stories about how some of us had been waiting like forever just to piece a toy complete. Some had reached the finishing line while others might have died trying)

All these reasons fuel that buying craze at times & you can't help it... :lol 

8. Malach Ra

Malach Ra TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Just check out my thunderwing/black shadow auction. Too high?? LOL

9. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:
    For as long as i can remember, Thunderwing has been one of those figures where a good example can go for a fairly high price.

Still, i'm looking forward to the inevitable digs at eBay that get recycled in a case like this.

10. exomega255

exomega255 Emerald Green

News Credits:
    if some members have amazing jobs and salary, I don't see why they can't offer a price that's high for the rest of us.

11. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Are you joking or serious? Because people can pay whatever they choose for an item. Without sounding harsh, why should they care about what other people/bidders can afford?

12. Omegax80

News Credits:
    A little of both, i mean this SG Rodimus went for $200...
    BotCon 2008 Shattered Glass Rodimus - eBay (item 160483209781 end time Sep-19-10 12:59:18 PDT)

I guess I feel prices for some of these are getting ridiculous.

I have never seen a Thunderwing go for that amount before. I'm feeling that it will soon be the going price for it. Could I spend $150... sure, but $350? Nope. I thought others would share similar feelings.

13. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

Oh don't get me wrong, I think that is way too high a price for that figure, but sadly certain TFs seem to have taken on a life of their own on the aftermarket and as a result they are now very 'elitist' toys which very few of us will be able to afford.
    And this is due to the fact that people with a lot of money will always be able to outbid those of us who haven't got as much money.
    Sounds simple I know, but for whatever reason Thunderwing is one toy that is now in high demand and reasonably rare (at least in good condition) therefore making him incredibly expensive.

14. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wouldn't be shocked if it's shill bidding. A couple friends bid it to a ridiculous price. Then when the auction is over they go to another account and do it again then to another to finally sell it. If ebay didn't hide buyers tags it'd be easier to follow.

15. Sangron

Sangron Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I paid $180 for mine

16. Automorpher

Automorpher Autobot Slut!

News Credits:
    Unlikely.

If its an auction style listing, we would've at least seen the Bid History/how many people actually bidded on it but that information is missing on that page...

More likely a Fixed Price/Buy It Now listing instead. ;) 

17. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's true. Same principle I just never looked at it that way. I know ebay sucks at policing and dominates on making the site more lame :)  I desperately want a gnaw to finish out my childhood collection (though small it is) but I would never pay near that amount.

18. CyberShadow

CyberShadow Wheeljacks Lab

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Agreed. I wouldnt pay this much for the figure... and there are not that many figures that I would, but thats just me. The fact that the figure is on for this price shows that the seller thinks that at least one person out there will, and as long as people keep paying the high prices, these prices will continue to exist. If it sells, it obviously isnt too expensive.

19. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

That's basically what I was trying to say, although not as eloquently!

20. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I dunno how finding one in good condition became a rarity factor, but I'm sure the fact Thunderwing was rampaging throughout Stormbringer and easily destroyed Nebulos has some part to this. Maybe the upcoming Deluxe Thunderwing also has sparked interest in the original.

I blame the FP Shadow Scythe upgrade.

Patience, you should be able to find one for what you would consider a fair price soon enough. Plus, you could always use Generations Thuderwing as a stand-in when he comes out. It won't be the same as the real thing, but it will be far cheaper and much better as an actual toy compared to the original Thunderwing.