This is how a Transformers fight should be!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by HawaiianBro808, Mar 13, 2018.

1. HawaiianBro808

HawaiianBro808 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

:D  :D 

Steven S. DeKnight has to be the next director for the reboot... I like his style.

• Like Like x 3
  2. snokoan

snokoan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well the movie isn't out it could be a bad movie but I can't judge the reboot is still a rumor I think

• Like Like x 2
  3. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Eh, they're already kind of like that. The problem is the lack of actual fights. Instead, we get wasteful visual gimmicks like the Driller or the magnet scene in AOE.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

I think the action and fights in Transformers should be this: Diverse!

The thing is Transformers as a brand is actually quite broad in terms of possible stories and characters. Likewise, the action should be diverse. It should not just be 1 vs. 1 robots fighting with fists and guns. There should be lots of different types of action scenes. And whatever one thinks of the films, they are indeed diverse in terms of action: robot vs. robot fights, humans vs robots, human-built robots vs alien robots, car chases, aerial chases, Autobots and humans fighting aliens, epic property destruction, etc.

Sure, I want action scenes with robots fighting robots, but I also want other things mixed in. I like that we've gotten things like the KSI break-in or Lockdown's minions chasing the Autobots and humans in the skies over Chicago among others.

Are there some action scenes that should have been executed better? Sure, but there are also some diverse action scenes done quite well.

So let's have some robots fighting each other as well as some other things. More, please!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Appleseed

Appleseed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    that is the main reason why transformers movie is getting worst movie by movie. they didn't focus on actual fight between transformers anymore. I meant who want to go watch it since can't see a good fight between them.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Moy

Moy Constructicons!

News Credits:
    Nothing close as epic to Transformers. But one advantage is the scale pacific rim characters are.
    This just highlights how much more memorable devastator would have been instead of the driller.

Unfortunately the good fights involve Bee, Optimus and the military. It would have been nice to see Jolt or Dino do a little more for instance.

These are some favorites:

• Like Like x 8
  7. TheSoundwave

TheSoundwave Hooked on a Feeling!

News Credits:
    I want to watch that clip, but I also don't want to see any more of the fight scenes before I see the movie next week.

• Like Like x 1
  8. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Transformers movies always have that kind of fight scenes (except TLK), but it lacks focus and emotion. We saw drift jumping and slicing decepticons in AoE but it's immediately cut to another action, the same with arcee when fighting sideways in rotf. Feels like everything's rushed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I disagree that's how they should look. Not because I don't like them (quite the opposite, I love me some Pacific Rim), but just because I don't feel like that style of movement fits the Transformers on the big screen. I'm finding it hard to put into words, so bear with me... The Jaegers in Pacific Rim, especially the first film, move deliberately, sometimes clumsily, to show that they're piloted (with great effort), and also that they're very, very large and heavy. The cybertronians are smaller, and more importantly, mechanical beings. Moving (in either mode) is as easy to them as it is for us, especially after the long, long lives many of them have had. I think it should look more natural, even graceful for some of them, and they should be able to use their robot, alt mode, and the transition between the two as a seamless way of moving to suit their purpose. It should seem more reflexive than forced. They could also potentially move in ways that the human body (or a giant-sized metal simulacrum) cannot, in terms of range of motion, flexibility, or actual body parts functioning differently than our own limbs (though some Jaegers do this at times as well).

In terms of how the scenes are staged and edited, yes, I prefer the style of Pacific Rim to the fast cuts and whirling, frantic shots of the TF films.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Anthony Hopkins with a submachine gun. 'Nuff said!

If you want a good example of a fight sequence, look at the bits from the Transformers Ride at the Universal Parks.

The mix of robot and vehicle combat is exactly what Transformers should be about. Not human bullshit.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

What are you talking about? They all had plenty of robot fighting scenes. Whether one liked them or not is up to debate, but posts like these are some of the most baseless I've ever seen.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NemesisPrime12

NemesisPrime12 Well-Known Member

Good list, but.. no love for ironhide & sideswipe vs the dreads?

• Like Like x 1
  13. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yes, quite. It was widely regarded as the best theme park attraction at the time (now, Escape from Gringotts superseded it).

• Like Like x 1
  14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    They're really not. Punches are thrown, but the characters in the TF movies are far too weightless. Strikes are far too quick, abstract, and often characters look propelled by their fists verses actually throwing punch. They will flop around like ragdolls and leap and roll constantly, again as if just propelled by an unseen force and not themselves. TF1 had the best fights to me because despite the shaky cam, the actual choreography felt far more polished. Not perfect, but better.

Add to that often poor camera work and again, the shear speed, and the only TF fight I ever thought was genuinely good was the forest fight and the beginning of Optimus and Lockdown's fight. And even then, both those fights feature a lot of the aforementioned cons, but generally excel in other regards. As Aernaroth mentioned, TFs shouldn't be as "clunky" as the man-made, manually piloted Jagers, but they're so damn phony and removed from the world around them.

And for what it's worth, I really don't think the action in PR2 is that great from what I've seen. The grit and weight the first movie's fights had is totally lost. The Jaegers are unbelievably nimble and not limited by the control scheme they logically should be. These things are titanic yet it seems like they're less immersed in the world than the first movie's robots. Debris and dust is minimal, and without ambient things like rain and seawater to constantly create that tangible bridge between the environment and the robots, they look incredibly cheaply composited in. (A flaw a lot of the TF movies post-ROTF have IMO. Any time a TF doesn't leave visible footprints on whatever Earthen surface it's fighting on it distracts me)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Regarding the Pacific Rim clip posted above, my comment is still accurate, for, the characters look weightless here as well in contrast with the first Pacific Rim film where the characters actually moved with force.

I agree with you, however, I would say it depends. For Optimus, yes, a more clunky weighty fight would feel more accurate but for characters like Bumblebee, their agility would make things more interesting to watch. A few fight scenes were analogous to what I just mentioned such as the Forest fight with Prime and Megs clanking around and the DOTM highway scene with Bots quickly jumping in and out of bot/alt modes. I agree that the fight scenes in TF1 felt the most realistic with Bots such as Prime feeling heavier. That aspect is really emphasized in the scene where Optimus has to hide from sector 7. By the way he runs, you can visualize how massive he really is.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    I'd say they don't look truly weightless, just not as heavy in their movements as their size and the first movie would suggest. They look about half the size that they are but still move with that sluggish girth. In fact they move similar to what I'd imagine robots at the TF size would move if real physics were applied. (Except for the whole being unable to stand or move period part)

TFs honestly look... Indescribably light and fluid. As if they're held together with jello. They also react puzzlingly to other forces, like small explosions causing ridiculous recoils and backflips, or like I mentioned punches where the fist looks like it's dragging the body instead of the body propelling the fist.

17. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    yeah, if the tf movies did anything right it was the weight of the robots. there were small things like you mentioned with shit like minor explosions (rotf prime's exploding bullet fuckin rocketing megatron out of the factory, a single rocket launching sentinel backwards) but otherwise they seem to be realistically hefty.

18. Music

Music Primetimus Prime

News Credits:
    YouTube:
    Maybe weightless was a bad word. I say they do look impossibly light.

Yeah, the physics isn't perfect in Transformers, but it didn't seem all that bad either, at least in the first trilogy. Things got weird starting in AOE when Hound, a three-ton robot, is majestically (sort of) able to jump from building to building. It's okay; I don't count anything from the last two movies in any metric.

The first movie was definitely the best in regards to realism.

19. Fallout

Fallout ꧁꧂

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    honestly any fight choreography beats tfp's, where robots would regularly do ridiculous anime leaps into the air

20. transf0

transf0 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I really think TF1 nailed the fights (I know a lot of people don't like the camera movements but I'm fine with them). If you recall, they brought in actual martial arts actors with added weights and strings to simulate the bulk of TFs and taped and watched them for hours each day, it shows in the final product IMO.

• Like Like x 1