This is a question for the A/V nuts! I need some assistance!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by kronos, Jul 5, 2009.

1. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    Ok, heres the situation. I am getting Dish Satellite installed today. Since I work for them I get free cable. Anyway, I have a dilema. I cant afford another TV just yet so I want to use a LCD Monitor I have. It has 2 connections HDMI and a normal PC input. Now for the sake of saving money the HDMI port wont be used. What I need is a cable that converts the PC connection on the monitor to either RGB or RCA. I have a DVD recorder that I am goins use for the "reciever" for the coax line from the Dish tuner (for those that dont know, the Dish 722 has 2 tuners for 2 separate TV's). So the line I will be working with will be a coax going into the DVD recorder (just for receivers sake). Then use the RGB or RCA hookups on the back to connect to the LCD Monitors PC connection. I did lookups but didnt find what i needed. Just remember its gotta be cheap. This saves me some dough each month without the need to get a 2nd receiver from Dish and a new TV.

Thanks in advance!

2. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Awesome?

Great idea.

Oh don't be cheap. Go to Big Lots and buy a HDMI cable for $13.00 bucks and call it done. Not to mention, it's just the easiest way to go, really. And you'll have the best possible picture as well.

The cable most likely won't be able to do it on it's own, so you'll most likely need a modulator to achieve that desired effect. Problem is, by the time you buy the cable on it's own, you've already spent more than a $13.00 HDMI cable. Plus, it's Sunday. What store is going to be open that would have that kind of cabling? None that I can think of. And if you're think of going to a small, local business to buy said cable and whatever else, you'll spend far more money than HDMI.

Problem is, it takes a bit of money to save it in the long run.

You can still use your DVD recorder with the Dish Tuner AND connect it to your monitor. But to make the DVD recorder work with your monitor, you'll need that cable and a modulator most likely. (The cable for sure.)

And instead of using just coax to connect the Dish unit to your DVD recorder, use a composite cable as well. Use the coax for the recording, use the composite for better picture quality during viewing and playback.

I have cable, and I have the coax running to the unit, but use composite, component, and HDMI running to the TV, so I can watch it on different inputs. (My Dad has this nasty habit of playing the Wii, receiving a phone call, leaving it paused and taking up the use of three things at once.) So now I can watch TV on the ATSC or NTSC tuner in the TV, while the NTSC or ATSC tuner in the DVR is recording, and the Component input is being used by the Wii.

Problem is, I don't think you're going to get out of this one on the cheap. You're going to have to spend some money, but fortunately it won't be as expensive as you'd think. But you'll have to cave in for HDMI in the interim.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    my HDMI cable was 3 dollars shipped from amazon. just get one. dont buy into what monster cables and other companies say. a 90 dollar cable isnt any better than a 2 dollar cable.

4. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

There's no reason at all to not get an hdmi cable. Go to monoprice and get one for like 3 bucks. That way you dont need to waste time finding the cable you're looking for.

5. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
  6. kronos

kronos PSN = KRONOSX1

News Credits:
    I got into a debate with my trainer about this. I pointed her to the article about the HDMI cable using wire hangers. She was shocked. She said her husband went out and purchased 4 diffrent HDMI cables and spent over $250. I told her I ordered 4 cables and spent $20 (I order from Everyday Source). Needless to say she was more than pissed.

BTW, I am in training at DISH. I am in Tech (yeah, and yet I still post this). Been there for 3 weeks. Its crazy what goes into installing a Dish system. But I can now do it! If anyone has Dish, keep an eye out for the 922. Its going to change everything you think about cable tv providers.

YouTube - Dish 922 Demonstration

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Here's a little tip from your uncle Jeff. I have a 722 (and 622). Hook up your component cables (RGB) to the DVD recorder and the HDMI to the TV. Both the HDMI and component cables are active at the same time for TV1 on your 722.

I'm deep into this shit so if you need a better explanation let me know.

And yeah, the 922 is pretty badass. Sling built into the DVR? Sign me up! Can't wait to upgrade to that. I know some people that are beta testing it.