This hobby might be getting out of hand...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Blue Meanie, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

at least for me. I feel overwhelmed with the amount of items flooding out in these lines. Very high dollar items as well. Some of you know that I am a completist, and buy doubles of just about everything and occasionally troop build. That doesn't even count my G1 collecting which I won't talk about. I took a good look at what I spend each month on transformers and was shocked. Now granted we had a long lull after the movie and I bought nothing, but sheeeeit I have been fooling myself or something. Do you all really pay attention to what you spend or are you a 'I want it, I buy it" person? I don't put my toys on credit cards I pay cash at least which is good...but. I have money in AIG and am looking at the market every day watching my money vaporize, and I have a 2nd home I haven't been able to sell since we moved out. Today I am coming back from my preggo wife's first sonogram and I look at her and my daughter and said to myself, "WTF am I doing?" I look at my collection now and feel weird. Did the switch in my head just flip? Please tell me no. My buddy told me how he was struggling to buy a few Star Wars figures a month and I felt the dreaded shame. I am going to be downsizing for sure now, I need to either stop collecting or figure out how to fight my compulsion to buy what I miss. They could at least try not to overwhelm us. Which is why so many people were happy when they delayed alternity.

2. Code

Code Banned

Ebay:
    the death of all completists / double buyers is inevitable, unless they are filthy rich

3. Blue Meanie

Yes but being a completist or even a double buyer is quite possible without spending insane money, as long as they don't release so much at once. During the movie run I spent less than $500 a month.

4. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

Dude I know exactly what you mean. As of this month, I too have decided to stop collecting indefinitely. Did the same thing you did and realized I was way overspending. I may pick up and item hear or there that I really like, but other than that I will pass on it for now. Was also buying Star Wars stuff, which when combined with Transformers is way too much.

5. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I went through a small completist thing with the movie figures (repaints and all) It was at the end of the line that I just said what the hell am I doing. Do I really care about all these figures is it that big of a deal to not own 1, 2 or more. I'm back to focusing my collection on just what is really important. I can't imagine what a completist for all TF lines must spend a month.

6. bw_rhinox

bw_rhinox Well-Known Member

Blue Meanie, I've seen your collection and it rocks, and I feel exactly the same. I am also a completist, or WAS. I just downsized my collection from 2200 to just over 1300. The fact that they are releasing tons of stuff and some at very high prices has turned me away from being a completist. I now ONLY buy Tranformers that has made an appearance in the show and I no longer can afford to buy doubles or variations.

7. Code

Code Banned

Ebay:
    not sure exactly sure how you could be happy about spending less than $500 a month...

If you spend less than $100 that's good.

but if $500? is your... bar? that's... kinda crazy

Means you will spend $6,000 a year on toys and you are fine with that?

8. -Mainframe-

-Mainframe- Well-Known Member

Buy what you know you truly like. That should fix your problem.

9. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I have majorly scaled back on collecting, I still buy high dollar items, but only one or two a year so that I can save up for them.

10. Midnight

Midnight Nerdicon

sometimes ill go hungry for a couple of days just to feed my collecting habits.

im not an addict though,i can quit whenever i want.

i mean,ive never tried it but im sure i could do it...maybe.

dont judge me!

11. Blue Meanie

As a completist budget yes. Yearly spending always looks ridiculous when you budget monthly. Going to 3 movies a month or a 2-3 Bluray movies looks like a ton.

Edit: I saw what you typed before the edit. If you think I am gloating I appologize and it was not my intention. I have met some collectors that make me look like a joke with budgets to the moon, and there are a ton of other completists on this site. A lot of them got fed up or gave up at some point and this forum is really the ONLY place to find people that have been in this situation. I mean really, where do you go for advice on what to do about your toy collecting that doesn't get some sort of ridicule.

12. ILoveDinobot

ILoveDinobot Arise Rodimus Prime

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I don't have enough money or room to be a completist, nor to get all the TFs I really want, such as LioKaiser and MetalHawk. So I just make do with what I got. I have a few doubles too. But doubles of everything would be too much.

13. xZAOx

xZAOx Yep.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As a "mold completist" for current lines, and for G1 I want pretty much everything, it's definitely gotten more expensive as of late.

Animated and Universe are really cranking out some product lately. Plus some random Japanese items I've been picking up here and there...yeah, I'm feeling the pain in the wallet. I'm debating scaling back some lines of non-show toys (mainly BW and BM), but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it. And those aren't really expensive though, obviously, it's just space issues.

14. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

I totally feel you, and as soon as the Universe line (and 25th Anniversary) I'm going on collecting hiatus.

15. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    I hear you. I'm not spending quite as much, but I do max out around $200-$400 a month depending on what comes out (those damn Diamond busts are killing me). Hopefully Hasbro will focus more on Marvel and GI Joe in the coming years and give our poor wallets a break. Not likely with the nostalgia craze in full gear, but a guy can hope.

16. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Yeah, I tried to be a completist; that didnt last long.

17. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, I used to be a completest back during the A/E/C days. Towards the end of Cybertron, around the time the Classics started hitting the shelf... I took a long hard look at everything I had and how much money I had spent on it (not even talking all the money I had dropped on reissue or original G1 pieces) and I came to the same realization as you... I have a wife, a little girl, a car and a mortgage... how can I rationalize spending this kind of money on Transformers?

So, from last year onwards, I've been downsizing my collection. Pretty much looking through stuff and if it doesn't fit in with any of the other stuff I've got (like, I bought some stuff just because it was Transformers and it was a 'rare' item) off it goes to be sold. I've got a much smaller collection now and, not only does it display nicer, I'm happier with it as it has quality (what I consider to be anyways) over quantity.

As for the stuff that is currently coming out... I had to make some rules for myself over this last year and a half. 1) I don't buy repaints unless they're of a different character (and than only if it's a good repaint) 2) I still buy high dollar items, but only if it's something special (like the upcoming armor for Ultra Magnus) and I have to save for it out of my normal TF budget and 3) I budget myself so much money for Transformers a month and spend no more than that.

18. Lucs

Lucs This Guy!

News Credits:
    Funds are looking tighter for me right now since I moved to an apartment with my fiancee. Before the apartment my problem was that I was running out of space. Granted it's a lot of Alts and custom Alts, which take a lot of space, but it's just gotten so overwhelming when they're all on display. There are so many that I don't want to even attempt tfing or reworking the display.

Now that I'm in a smaller space I'm deciding what I want to display and what I want to store. I know once I get a house I will have a workshop or room dedicated to my TFs and customizing but for now I really hate the idea of storing a huge chunk of it.

I want to sell some stuff that I'm not really into but I feel like I might regret it later if I end up with a huge room for displaying stuff

For a while I was selling old stuff and customs and I only bought more from those funds but I stopped having the time to sell and customize and I still have the time to buy

19. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    It sounds like you've had to step back and take stock of your life, and you've realized what's more important...and it ain't your collecting habit.

Its okay to downsize, its okay to stop buying. Asking yourself 'WTF am I doing?' means you're realizing there's a problem here, and that's the first big step in getting it under control. You've got a lot on your plate already that needs your time and money, kowtowing to an obsession/compulsion isn't serving that.

Maybe a good second step would be to go through your collection and ask yourself what each figure means to you, and get rid of the ones that don't mean much. Then ask yourself that every time you go to buy something new. Instead of going cold turkey.

--Moony

20. LordStanley1893

LordStanley1893 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Trying to buy everything is an uphill battle. If you like being a completist, try to just complete one or two lines and then buy what you like. I almost have the complete set of Alternators, it's a small set so its not too bad you could always try that. I don't know how anyone could be a completist of a main line especially post movie.