This Doctor Who fellow I've heard so much about...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bryan, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

My father used to love this show back in the day, and I'm a big enough SF fan that I'd like to give it a try. Read a few Wikipedia articles, and it looks pretty cool--and different, which is a plus. But it's been around so long, approaching it is a little daunting.

Any UK-type fans here able to suggest a good jumping on point?

Oh, and these are the options open to me:

http://www.netflix.com/Search?v1=doctor+who&type=title&row=0&dtl=1

Thanks.

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

The format of the show means that you can jump in almost anywhere and not be uttery bewildered, but the the new series would be the obvious jump on point for a noob since it assumes no prior knoledge whatsoever and explains itself as it goes.

http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Doctor_Who_Season_1/70050023?strkid=221973819_15_0
    http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Doctor_Who_Season_2/70059039?strkid=221973819_16_0

If you like those, come back and we'll get you started on the original series. The fact that it ran for so long and had so many changes means that your almost guarenteed to find something interesting in there somewhere, as long as you don't have any prejudice against vintage TV.

3. redsquadron

redsquadron Token idiot...

As much as it pains me to say it, I reckon you should start with the new stuff. Personally I don't like it, preferring the 'classic' series (1963 to '76 being the period I watch the most) but it's a good place for a new viewer to start - Just make sure you start right at the beginning with "ROSE" as it re-establishes the format for new viewers.

If you like the new series I do recommend the old though - It's a totally different beast and liking one doesn't mean you'll like the other (I'm living proof of that!) but there are treasures to be found.

The old series, being cheap BBC fare, does take a lot of determination to get past the bad (but understandably so) visuals to get to the charm, warmth and charisma underneath (which I feel the new show lacks). If you can manage that I reckon you'll be rewarded.

4. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Make sure you watch the Tom Baker and Sylvester McCoy series'!

And make sure you don't watch that godawful McGann one-off TV movie.

5. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

also, you need to watch some of the sixth doctors stories. very good storys and having a crazy doctor constantly beterate the annoying assistant that was perry was just so lol worthy

6. redsquadron

There were some great Sixth Doctor stories (THE TWO DOCTORS is my favourite) but he wasn't given the change to show his full potential.
    And while she was a whiner, I won't hear a bad word said about PERI....;)  First assistant to be seen in a bikini (and filling it out very well).

7. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

I watched some of the old Baker stuff as a kid (when TV reception allowed), but was never able to catch the majority of the series, and am still waiting for good (and moderately priced) DVD sets of early shows. However, as an avid SF viewer, reader, and (formerly) con goer, I knew plenty about the show to begin with.

So I was thrilled to get the new series, and despite initial reservations with the pilots villains (dept. store mannequins, which is classic "Who on the cheap"), quickly found it to be among the most wonderfully imaginative shows in many years. The series ignores its budget and really pushes the bounds to show the wonderful, the absurd, and the creepy (sometimes all in the same hour).

Overall the series is designed so that each episode stands on its own, but are much richer when seen as a whole (and with at least passing knowlege of the originals). So I highly recommend starting with Season 1 (or 27?) with Eccleston. And, again, don't let the BBC budget throw you.The artists do a great job with what they have - let your imagination do the rest.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

First disc of the new season (series?) one is in my queue. Right behind Transmorphers and Shooter.

Thanks for guidance--I usually rent TV shows for white noise while I study, but I'm kinda pumped about this one.

9. Javi 2 Suave

Javi 2 Suave The King Of Impulse TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yea at this point with the new series you are better off starting from the new season "1" and then going back to the older ones

10. Triggerhappy

Triggerhappy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd recommend starting with Rose like most other people and working your way through the 'new' Doctor Who..

but for old stories I'd recommend I enjoyed when I was getting into Doctor Who..

The Invasion
    The Green Death
    Inferno
    The Sea Devils
    The Talons of Weng Chiang
    Seeds of Doom
    Vengeance on Varos
    Ghostlight
    The Curse of Fenric

ENJOY!

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm with you squirrelcar, I added the two newer seasons of Doctor Who to my queue as well since everyone keeps talking about the damned show, and I only caught like half of an episode last season.

I hope we like it :D 

12. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *Cough*
    Genesis Of The Daleks
    *Cough*

13. redsquadron

Indeed - Just about the best DR WHO story ever!

14. Leo Primal-2

Leo Primal-2 Well-Known Member

Can I Recommend "Spearhead from Space"

15. redsquadron

You can! Pertwee is my favourite Doctor so I can watch any of his stuff over and over (although I prefer INFERNO)

16. RabidYak

Since were into naming the best classic stuff on DVD, this thread isn't complete without mentions for Tomb of the Cybermen, Pyramids of Mars, Caves of Androzani and Rememberence of the Daleks.

Pyramids is worth the money alone for the Sutekh mockmentary on the disc, best Who DVD extra evar.

17. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Seconded!

Seconded! Quite a list being built up.

Thirded

I would agree with all those except 'The green Death', I found that to be incredibly dull.

I loves me some Classic Who, even though it was gone from TV before I was even born.
    I wish the BBC hadnt lost the film reels of the Troughton era story with the Yeti's in London Underground.
    (The one where the set looked so realistic the BBC were accused of having snuck in and filmed inside a real underground in secret)

That first episode looked fantastic, I just wish I could remember the name.

18. RabidYak

The Web of Fear

19. Leo Primal-2

Leo Primal-2 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I have Inferno on DVD, but haven't had a chance to watch it yet

20. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube: