This Christmas, give a MISB to Toys for Tots!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by NormanB, Nov 20, 2006.

1. NormanB

NormanB Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Mods: if this needs to be moved, apologies. I figured the thread would get the most exposure here.

Hey guys, I am not a MISB collector per se, but I have more than a few Transformers that I bought (typically at ridiculous sale prices) and just displayed in the box/on the card for a while, then closeted.

Well yesterday, I dumped a bunch of my clearanced-out Target Unicrons and Toys R Us RID Car Brothers into the Toys for Tots bin at my local Toys R Us.

Everybody wins:

1. Me, I have closet space again!
    2. The kids who are getting awesome Transformers to play with
    3. Hasbro, because I'm doing my part to pass on TF love to the next generation of consumers.

So let me be the first to encourage you to share the love and pass along unopened Transformer(s) to your local Toys for Tots collection area! Remember, they only accept un-opened toys!

Holiday Cheers!

NB

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    When armada unicron was 8 dollars at target, I bought eight of them and they all went in the TRU toys for tots bin, and then they had no more room in the bin.

3. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Well-Known Member

I agree. Toys for Tots is a great program for kids. I recommend to anyone who can donate toys that they try to. I am always surprised at the amount of toys that people donate. Many times certain shelters or other non-profit places have to make multiple trips to get toys for their organizations.

I know this because I stand next to a box and then help distribute if help is needed.

4. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I want to do this this year. Last year I had some extra money and I was going to buy a Supreme Starscream and donate it, but the day I finally had time to go in and do it, they had removed the TFT bin. I wasn't too happy. Since the Starscreams and marked down pretty low I might have to try to do it this year, even though I don't have as much money as I did last year

5. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i was thinking the other day that i wanted to do the giant clearance buy for TfT....yay donations...

6. Robogeek28

Robogeek28 Who're you calling a geek?

News Credits:
    I plan on putting some MISB Transformers in the Toys for Tots bin myself.:thumb 

7. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I actually plan on buying $100 worth of classics and dropping them off at the TFT bin. One of each voyager and deluxe and an extra Bumblebee and Astrotrain.

8. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've bought TFs for Toys for Tots for the last two years. Plan to do it again, this year.

9. Kranix2k

Kranix2k Spare me this mockery!! TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for reminding me, guys. I have a coupla extras that I've accumulated over the past couple years. Y'know the ones where you go to the store and go "Oh slag, I cant remember if I have him or not....better get him just in case" then wind up already having it :banghead:  Now I'll have a good home for them!

10. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I hit up the clearanced Unicrons a few years ago and also got hold of a load of Sup. Starscreams last year. I've donated some of the Unicrons to United Way auctions, and I given a couple Starscreams to disadvantaged kids that I know personally. I've never seen such happy and grateful looks on a kid's face.

11. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    TRU's had the donation bins out since the end of October and, since then, I've been purchasing at least one TF (either a Basic or Deluxe...better to spread money out over a lot of small TFs than just a few large ones) for the donation bin every time I'm by the store hunting for stuff. I usually go to each of the two TRUs in my area at least once a week, so that's roughly two TFs a week. I've also been picking up clearanced Basics and Minicons from BBTS to add to the bins.

12. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I've done my donation round to Child's Play. You should too.

13. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    So far T for T is up one LOC Optimus and Classics Bumblebee (every kid deserves Bumblebee!) I'll likely be upping that sometime before the boxes go away.

14. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh, good, I have some minicons, and a clearance Unicron I can throw in there as well. Been waiting for them to show back up, guess I missed the bins last time I was there.

Much better than selling them on ebay for dirt.

15. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I just dumped a BOATLOAD of toys, Spiderman, Batman, and Transformers related this past weekend. It's a good program and it deserves our support.

16. TheMonarch

TheMonarch Still arching Venture

News Credits:
    Last year, my fiancee and I went on a Toys for Tots shopping spree. Our local drive was not doing so well. We dropped about $300 grabbing as many TFs, Ninja Turtles, EasyBake ovens, My Little Ponys, and etc. as we could. As we were headed out to drop them off, I remembered I had an extra Japanese Re-issue Hot Rod, Galaxy Force Starscream, and MP-02 Ultra Magnus sitting in my closet, so they ended up in the pile too.

We moved to Toledo this year and are not as well off as we were, since we both decided to go back to college. But we're doing our best, TFT have seen a Classics Jetfire and Classics Grimlock from us, and will more than likely see more as stores have more "It's even closer to Christmas" sales.

But man, I would have loved to see the face of the kid who got that Ultra Magnus.
    Thanks to all who have donated this year. Toys for Tots does a lot of good, and I'm glad to see TF fans helping out.

17. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Well-Known Member

I am always surprised at the amount of donations Toys for Tots receive each year. This appears to be one program people are not cheap on. The toy boxes fill up and so do the cash boxes. People come out of the stores dropping twenties in the box, some kids even drop their pocket change. It's all good stuff.

It's also cool when some of the old timers stop to talk with us. That is one of the better parts of volunteering for this program.

18. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

a couple of weeks ago i actually donated all of my non-transformer toys; about five big boxes worth. Had I the money I'd buy every new classics toy I saw and donate them.

19. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I donated some MISB Energon last year, this year I donated money.

I wanted to start something locally to collect specifically TFs for kids...It would help clear product off of the shelves, help the line out, and help out some kids. But the logistics of all that are beyond me, so I try to do any little thing I can to help out.

20. Dark Magnus

Dark Magnus Your opinion is wrong!

Ebay:
    I need to find a donation center near me since there doesn't seem to be one listed when I search in my area(Brandon, Fl specifically). I was gonna drop them off at a local TRU but I guess they already took the bin. Still, I try to do at least $100 every year.