Third Party Pretenders

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by philipjreed, Sep 25, 2012.

1. philipjreed

philipjreed Well-Known Member

I'm still amazed we haven't seen someone produce a vinyl toy shell for use with Thunderwing, Skullgrin, or any of the other Generations toys that would look great with a Pretender shell. Hell, a massive shell for Bludgeon would be awesome!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stanalyken

Stanalyken Member

Yeah friend I am totally agreed with you if such things would be there it will really look great and also excitement would be tremendous to play with such toys .

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    It would be pretty neat. The only downside is unless they got creative, they most likely wouldn't really be pretenders.

4. philipjreed

I think the vinyl shell would have to open so you could insert the official toy inside.

5. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    Not too sure about having Pretender shells (since the figures that have been produced and upgraded by 3rd companies so far are already rendition of their shells and not the inner robots) but I sure as hell would like to see Thunderwing being upgraded and upsized! He's too puny at the moment.

Here's what I have as my classics pretenders

[​IMG]

6. MyTea Boc

MyTea Boc Beardy Boyo!

Ebay:
    I'm holding out for someone to give CHUG Thunderwing an upgrade set like Maketoys did for the RTS prime mold.

7. aprim

aprim Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think it could be done at least I been hoping!

8. CZ Hazard

CZ Hazard Sons of Unicron PTT

News Credits:
    There has been one sort of third party Pretender, a UK GI Joe / TF convention had an exclusive figure (maybe 30 pieces) of a GI Joe character with a small Transformers figure (minicon I think) inside.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

• rorc.jpg
      rorc.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
      Views:
  9. archieboy

archieboy Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or maybe use existing shells and update the robot inside? Give it better transformation and articulation?

10. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd rather have Action Master partners.

If they do pretenders, having kits for shells to make Bumblebee, Jazz, Grimlock, and Starscream Pretenders would be cool. Even if they're parts that connect around them and back together.

11. philipjreed

Action Master-inspired add-ons would also be cool. I've been wanting someone to make a kit for Classics Bumblee to replace his trailer with one that transforms into a helicopter backpack.

12. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd personally rather have just the inner robots updated. Unless it's someone like bludgeon, thunderwing or Longtooth.

However, if they were to make the shells. I'd want a figure of Scowl.

[​IMG]

13. philipjreed

I wish Hasbro would make new versions of the Pretender Monsters. For that matter, I'd buy a re-issue of the entire team.

14. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    Even as a little kid I didn't like the concept of the good guy Pretenders. Did they shrink to human size like Soundwave or were they supposed to be giant people? I think in the comic they were like huge humans when they encountered those crazy Space Amazons. Cover by Jim Lee. I don't recall any shrinking in the art when they transformed. As for the cartoons, I don't know what the deal was there. Even though my little kid brain was bothered by this whole pretending thing, I still liked the Decepticons just because they were badass looking monsters.

A Pretender shell for Generations Thunderwing wouldn't make much sense with him already closely resembling the G1 shell. But an upgrade kit for him would definitely be interesting. I'm thinking maybe Skullgrin would be the ideal choice for a new shell with the way he can fold up into a nice little brick. It should include a new head that resembles the G1 core bot.

I'm looking at that G1 Thunderwing picture some more and I want it. That's the kind of thing Takara and Hasbro should be reissuing. Instead of the same figures that have already been reissued again and again.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  15. Scaleface

Scaleface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There was an original pretender shell on shapeways once, but it's been long since deleted. You had to buy it in pieces, and it cost hundreds to make all the pieces.

There a teaser a while back to make a tiny inner robot for Generations Thunderwing and its recolors. This makes sense since Thunderwing is based on the shell.

http://www.allspark.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=84792

16. Deszaras79

Deszaras79 I ♥ Brickformers

Updated versions of the Masterforce Pretender cast, Black Shadow & Blue Bacchus..then I'm happy...for a short while.

17. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Amazingly there is an update on the topic of this old thread. I just listened to the Nonnef interview on the last episode of Transmissions.

TransMissions Episode 115 - Unleash The Beast! | TransMissions

The relivant talk takes place about 1 hour 11 minutes into the show.

Nonnef talked about a line of full toys he is developing. He refered to them as "Shell Formers" (wink nudge). The first two figures are a lion and a bear who are articulated figures made on injected silicone. Inside the shells there are fully articulated transforming robots. The inner robots can then ride their shells. We might see pictures at TFcon Canada, and prototypes at TFcon USA this year.

The "shells" will be made of the same silicone as the tires Nonnef is using to make the tires for the Combiner Warts Stunticons.

Sounds to me like Catilla and Chainclaw updates.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  18. Sa173533

Sa173533 Well-Known Member

Awesome! I hope the shells are articulated!

19. blackavar

blackavar Active Member

ohhh, a Pretender Ironblood Kraken, I was happier not knowing this existed, as now I want :( 

20. Scaleface

News Credits:
    Yes, he said they are articulated, but I don't know how much. I'd figure at least the 4 legs.