Third Party Hasbro Does Not Condone Third Party Work, Will Never Work With Them

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by Dinobot747, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    I noticed this post on Tformers.com.

Pretty interesting. I wonder how this will effect Third Party products in the future. Obviously, they never were going to work with them, but to quote the article:
    EDIT: Perhaps this should have gone in the Third Party (or News?) discussion. Mods, move if necessary.

2. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    I believe that Hasbro can't legally do anything, right?

3. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    hope they can't. i actually want somthing from iGear atm. Give me Brawn first please!

4. Kaijumaster

Kaijumaster 335

News Credits:
    Hasbro as an entity cannot condone the actions of Third Party.

But as individuals they may enjoy them as much as we do. but 2 things to remember.

A) They can never say anything other than the fact the 3rd party DOES steal thier IPs
    B) It was a ridiculous question that only could be answered one way.

5. Might Gaine

Might Gaine The Devil Express

News Credits:
    Duh? In other news, the sky is blue. The sun is warm. Ice cream is sweet.

6. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Not sure how this is really news - did anyone actually think Hasbro would work with third party companies somehow?

Aside from maybe trying to poach some employees/designers, why in the world would they?

7. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    What they can do is tell stores like BBTS "Hey, it's either third parties or us... make a decision."

I'm pretty sure BBTS would drop all third party stuff to continue selling Hasbro merchandise.

The fact that Hasbro is making a stand like this, when previously they were silent, means someone finally pushed their buttons. Who knows what it was... maybe Hasbro is sick of being outshined by them on a regular basis? Maybe iGear pushed it too far?

8. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    Hahahaha frigging non news...

9. DPrime

DPrime Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Maybe... BBTS would lose a lot of business either way, I'm sure.

Hasn't come to that yet though - doubt it will any time soon. I'm not sure Hasbro can even do this anyway. I mean, can Apple tell Walmart or whatever, "stop selling PCs, or else you can't sell Macs or iPads or iPods."

I kind of doubt it. Wouldn't that fall under some kind of unfair business practice laws? I'm no expert, but I don't think it's as easy as some here say, unless they can absolutely prove that said items are counterfeit, and that's apparently very difficult to prove, even with some things that seem "obvious" to us, like the iGear Coneheads. After all, as long as a certain percentage of the item is different, it's not legally a counterfeit.

I'm not sure whether the iGear Coneheads fit that criteria or not, but neither Hasbro or Takara has done anything about them, so...

Or some public affairs guy screwed up. Or the question was asked in such a way that it required a different answer than they've been giving. Who knows?

At any rate, of course people are now jumping to conclusions again... I'm not worried about any third party companies going away, not any time soon anyway... It's CHINA people! :) 

10. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    We've been talking about this in the convention forum but last year's Botcon with soooo many dealers with 3rd party...everything from the guys trying to pawn the fake G1 stuff as legit and the CMHS KO's to TFSource having a HUGE iGear display while several 3rd parties were showing pics of upcoming stuff was pretty much way too "in Hasbro's face" for them not to take a hard stand.

11. seali_me

seali_me Well-Known Member

I wish both companies did and I wish they went all out on licensing them but I guess going after them is not that bad either. The list of companies Takara is going after is pretty awesome. If they did go after TFC, I hope to see them distributing Hercules aka Devastator at retail pricing then rebate. I say go for it Hasbro/Takara.

12. Anguirus

Anguirus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This is far from noteworthy.

13. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    ^would love me love me some ice-cream.
    And oh- it has been not-shocking news since like, forever. :D 

^Aigearrrrrrrr?! :ev: 

14. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I don't think they can ever go after the 3rd party companies that do add-ons for their existing product.

It gives consumers even more of an excuse to want and then therefore purchase their items.

15. stepsongrapes

stepsongrapes Well-Known Member

That would most likely run afoal of unfair competition laws (e.g., tortious interference). In the U.S. at least, a large player like Hasbro can't attempt to set up a monopoly through strongarm tactics like this.

It's more likely that Hasbro is exploring trademark, copyright, and/or design patent claims; possibly trade secret in the case of stolen/copied molds.

16. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    The fact Hasbro is saying something after years of being quiet certainly is, imo.

Coupled with that issue over Hasbro not wanting third party figures to be sold at Botcon (I don't know if that was resolved or not), it seems that Hasbro is finally starting to push back.

17. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I keep seeing posts like this, but nothing ever actually happens.

18. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    yup exactly. so I suppose Maketoys are going to survive?

19. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. This is the first direct response in a while, but how else are they going to answer? Something noteworthy would be something dramatic like shutting down a company or forcing the hand of online retailers to choose between their products and the unlicensed stuff.
    2. Was that Hasbro or FunPub that initiated that?

20. Dragonclaw

Dragonclaw Comic Ink - Dublin, CA

News Credits:
    Not exactly. It's not like Hasbro would be saying "Don't sell macross, Soul of ChoGoKin, Ultra-Act, Revoltech or 3A robots or you can't sell ours". There is no monopoly. The makers in question have certainly pushed the IP infringement envelope well beyond the legal limit and I can certainly see them cracking down on their own accounts who support them....though IMHO they should start with those KO Easter baskets at KMart and Walmart before they crack on BBTS and TFSource.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.