Third Party Companies & Alternators

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Razerwire, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I was cleaning my ALT shelf today and go to thinking "What if third party companies picked up the Alternators torch and ran with it?"

Hasbro/TakaraTOMY seem to have shown no interest in reviving the line so what would happen if, say, TFC or FansProject decided to do ALT-like figures?

Costs and licensing would probably be the two biggest hurdles to overcome. I'm not sure if they would be able to make 1:24 figures with such detail and charge under $100. Licensing would be difficult as well. They'd pretty much have to make the alt modes in likeness to the actual cars but not have any of the company detailing on them.

But if they were able to pull it off, I'd be one happy camper. Hell, at this point I'd even take new ALT heads! :D 

2. siniquezu

siniquezu Well-Known Member

They had the matrix gas can for alt OP

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yup, and that thing was awesome.

But I'm talking full figures of ALTs from third companies.

4. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    There was "Metals Transform Car" which had quite a few releases and another "brand" that made Alt like toys.

5. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Metals Transform Car was pretty much a straight up KO company.

The other brand was RoadBots which made rather subpar and the majority were non-1:24 scaled figures.

RoadBots were probably the closest to get to what I'm talking about though.

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I would love to see someone pick up the Alternators ball and run with it. However, it would be really difficult to get the car companies on board with these smaller companies. That was one of the big draws for me with that line.

I still have hope that some day they will return. Slim hope mind you... but still hope.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I wouldn't mind some high-quality and affordable Alternator-like third party offerings. I find it amusing that one of the downfalls of the Alternators line was that most car companies (*cough*Volkswagen*cough*) didn't want their vehicles associated with war toys.

Then GM got the exclusive deal with Hasbro to make the first Transformers film more or less something of a car comercial, and then the second movie followed suit. While it wasn't the only reason Alternators failed, I'm betting VW is REEEEALY wishing they had Bumblebee promoting their vehicles again.

8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Wasn't iGear thinking about making the ALT Bumblebee from VW but instead went with the smaller less detailed version?

9. Dr. Grimlockisking

Dr. Grimlockisking Twitter @GrimlockIsKing TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Did the Alternity figures fall under this umbrella? I guess I'm not for sure since I really didn't pay that much attention to them

10. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Weren't Roadbots actually licensed vehicles? I wonder how well that endeavor did for their company.

Licensing would be the killer piece but I think it would be amazing if FP took up the Alternators cause. If the licensing was handled that would add an air of legitimacy to a 3rd company and since they wouldn't be too G1 based (aside from the head) they could be easier to sell as a stand alone line.

11. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Alternity is like Binal Tech's little brother. Smaller scale and more advanced engineering.

Roadbots were licensed. Which makes me think that if a third party company were to do something Alternators-ish that getting licensing may be possible.

Roadbots had good ideas but the materials they used and some of the designs just seemed elementary compared to what TFC or FansProject could pull of.

12. davehammer

davehammer Well-Known Member

iGear is doing an Alt BB, new mold and all. Looking pretty good too.

13. Razerwire

News Credits:
    That one's only 12 cm which means it won't be in the 1:24 scale that's pretty much the standard for ALTs.

14. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

I know it's only tangentially related, but regarding licensed vehicle knockoffs, I'm surprised and a little disappointed that no KO company has tackled the Aveo Swerve from the first movie. You'd think that there would be a horde of collectors beating down the door of whatever group made that mold available again.

15. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

These would be great, more G1 themed weapons for the older alts would be neat, ones that could store some how too as random stuff in the cars.

Why in the world would a 3rd party company want to try to get real lisensed vehicles instead of just making really detailed cars that resembled real cars like Transformers toys started off.

Also, if small figures and add-on kits are so expensive from 3rd party companies imagine how much a full sized alt would be.

I understand that they are small runs and couldn't be as cheap as Hasbro toys but some are crazily priced.

PE Eject and Rewind would be great,but way too much.

16. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    For a $100 or less i can't see it, just too complicated of figures for a company that produces small runs to keep costs that low on a true Alternator type figure. Look at the prices FP has charged for some of there stuff and how much other original figures from other 3rd party makers have gone for.

None of them have been close to Alternator complexity. I am sure FP could pull it off but it would not be cheap.

17. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If anything they could start small. I would love to see alternator scale bikes, atvs, and other small vechiles to test the waters but keep size/price down

18. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Happy Well had a gold mine with what they had access to, but they just couldn't make the robot modes great. Also, they used their budget on LED weapons and chrome armor. I advised them against it.

I can see something done given the $20 or so price range of the Road Bots and the official licenses. I'd much prefer Hasbro/TakaraTOMY to pick up the torch again, if at all, though.

19. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Yeah. The Roadbots alt modes were great but the robots were just terrible. I'm still amazed at how they got licensing.

As for the ALTs, I'd love for Hasbro and TakaraTOMY to revisit them but as each day passes I just feel it's less likely. The entire line was geared towards such a small niche that they were undoubtedly losing money on it.

So if we are to see a release it'll probably be a single figure via convention exclusive like SDCC Hot Rod was. TakaraTOMY probably has a higher chance of releasing more BTs but with Alternity existing even that seems unlikely.

20. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Landrover and Jag were just missed opportunities by Happy Well. The toys in alt mode are pretty cool, but the robot modes are horrible. I have been playing around with my Landrover again over the last couple of weeks because I want to make a Brawn out of it, but a part of me thinks I may be better served just making my own from scratch. I'm still debating.

I totally agree with everything you've posted above. I really thought we'd get Frenzy from the Rumble mold at least, since it would have been a straight repaint. Hasbro would have to get those licenses back again, though.

Now that GM is backing the movies and that the movie bots are what's making money, a revival seems even less likely.

Enjoy the HA line, because I think that's about as close as we'll ever get again.

Aside from customs :)