Third Party apathy?

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kaymac, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Sometimes when everyone is freaking out over the new third party add-on or toy, I feel alone because I honestly don't really care about third party. Not that I don't think it's cool stuff, it's just way too expensive for the tiny figures they are, and I don't have the ability to see them before I buy them, and I'd have to buy them online, which for various reasons I do not want to do. Is anyone else in this position where they just don't care?

2. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Do not fear! You are not alone in your mindset!

Third parties mean almost nothing to me since I don't do any online shopping. Like you said, it's not that many arn't cool looking, but they just don't have much draw for me. To much risk, to high a price, not enough reward (and no brick and mortar, which is a minus for me as well).

3. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I am with you man. The third party stuff while awesome is just too hard for me to justify the prices.

4. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    I don't have a problem with them, but they're too expensive for me at the moment. I like to see pictures and reviews of the better ones out there.

The only one I seriously would like to have is FP Bruticus (and the combiner figures it needs to work), but I guess even now it's too late to get him; I figure that once I have enough money to spend on him without financial worries, he will be too rare to find. So, nevermind I guess.

Short story, I think many 3rd party products are cool but they're not my cup of tea right now.

5. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I get that; that's how I feel about movie toys. Cool, yes, but they aren't worth even the modest retail prices for me. I get far more utility from your typical Fansproject item than its monetary Hasbro/movie equivalent.

6. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I bought a few, got the bts-03 matrix pack, well worth the money. I do want a gear of war 4, but other than that, not really interested in most of it. Fun to watch reviews and such though.

7. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

They are awesome looking.

I want a ton of the new stuff right now.

But I've never been a third party person and the prices are damned hard to justify and I also cannot see them in person which bothers me as well.

I will probably pass on all of them because I would rather have genuine Has/Tak stuff..................

Still, the new stuff is damned tempting

8. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    I admit I'm impressed by a lot of it, but I really don't care to consider buying any of it.

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I really don't give a shit.

Some of it is cool, but expensive and way fucking overrated. My God, fandom, chill.

10. Timesynch

Timesynch Is a Bad Hombre!

News Credits:
    It all comes down to choices and more options for the consumer. This encourages competition between companies and manufacturers to step up their game and better advance the quality (and price) of their products. Consumers and companies both win. Believe me, I know first hand how horrible prices, service, and product quality can be when a single company dominates a certain market and has a monopoly over it. In such a scenario, who can consumers really complain to or turn to as an alternative?

Now prices are a huge factor but as I'm sure it's been said before, third party companies just aren't as big or have the capital/clout as HasTak and so have a lot of overhead to design and manufacturer their products in any volume as to make back a decent profit from limited runs/distribution and to keep staying in business. There is inevitably some mark up, but people gotta hustle and make their money. It's the way of the world.

This is a wonderful time to be a TF fan, I truly believe this, given the movies and all the multitude of options we have at our fingertips and the enthusiasm from the fandom has never been stronger. No one has to get a certain line or be hyped about a certain show or film, but the fact that we have the choice to get into or ignore as we see fit various and differing franchises within the ever growing Transformers universe, that's a great thing to me.

11. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

If I had a shit ton of disposable income to dish out $600 for a Devastator, I probably would; but it's kinda hard to get really worked up about these third party releases when they're so damned expensive. I know the cost of making toys independently of Hasbro must make the higher price necessary, but I'm not made of money. I'll just play the waiting game and let Hasbro take their sweet time making the homages I want.

12. Tracer

Tracer _

News Credits:
    this

13. Xaddion

Xaddion ...

News Credits:
    Most of it is just G1 pandering. Sure, sometimes they do something interesting like a Optimus Prime choo-choo or a Bus transformers, but most of the time it's either a G1 or classics character being sold for insane amounts of cash. Even worse are the weapons that cost more than the toy it's meant for. Yet they manage to profit is because of the online store being safe compared to the risks of retail that not even Hasbro would take lightly.

If Hasbro made a collectors line and put it up as a Hasbro Toy Shop exclusive, they could totally obliterate 3rd parties without having flops like MP Skywarp.

14. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    some stuff is epic...like the i-gear kup heads 2 pack for $12....

some is crazy...like ehobby kup's head for $24....or the add ons that were designed for the combaticons ROTF bruticus set.

and that not devastator set...they look neat...fuck definitely not $500 to $600 neat after shipping.

15. Gearshift

Gearshift Lady of the Dark Throne

News Credits:
    It's all about pricing.

If I ever bought a third-party item, ever, it would be City Commander. But that's goddamn expensive, so I'm a third-party virgin I guess ;) 

16. scubaboy31

scubaboy31 Digital Gypsy

News Credits:
    I love 3rd party stuff like headrobots cobra and my MP Starscream coronation set.

I really couldn't give a crap about full figures though, or the aesthetics of FP stuff ( way too anime mecha, not enough transformers IMO)

17. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Pricing has also thrown me off. I was initially planning to get the City Commander, but felt it looked too clunky to justify the high price, same thing happened with the later releases, but I'm pretty high on getting the FP G2 Trailer, the design looks really really good

18. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    After buying a handful of fan-company stuff, I'll go along with the "overrated for the price" sentiment - not for all, but many of them.

19. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

Right back at ya.

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    Prices are not an issue for me, quality and assurity is. Also, third-party IP theft is so hard for me to justify. :p 

^This for me as well! :D 

P.S. I frickin love this thread. :3