Third masterpiece bought in three months with defects

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Oric, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I bought a masterpiece prime mp-04 back in october and one set of headlights were entirely missing. Then I bought an MP-06 skywarp with defective wings that could not be flipped up for transformation, now I bought an MP-02 Ultra Magnus with the headlights installed upside-down, is this anywhere NEAR normal for this line?

2. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    The Masterpiece line is at or near the top of the list of most QC issues.

I'm holding out on buying at MP Thundercracker because of that. But all other MP's I've bought had minimal issues.

3. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think I can reverse the headlights, I am still holding out for a junker of an mp-01 or mp-04, luckily BBTS is going to replace my skywarp, but I dont even want to bother them with this issue on Ultra Magnus, I just noticed it hours later after remarking on how I have never seen the paint apps on a masterpiece actually look this good. No blending issues, no spots, it looks like what you'd explect from a prototype.... except for the LIGHTS!

4. deltaprime

deltaprime The Christian Transfan

I wonder what kind of problems MP Grimlock will have....

5. GAUGE

GAUGE In Art, Nothing Is Impossible.

News Credits:
    Shhhhhhhhhhh, don't Jinx it dude!!!!

6. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    knowing my luck they will pin his head on backwards

7. d*r*j*

d*r*j* Active Member

Yeah the re-issues all have issues. MP-04 and MP-02 have a defective mold for the (robots) right chest door. Both have hit-or-miss paint jobs, MP-04 frequently gets packaged without all his parts (headlights, thumbs etc) and Ultra Magnus has the already mentioned upside down lights. There is lots of talk about Thundercracker and the new re-issue of Skywarp going wrong.

It's just the way Masterpiece is now...

8. Kimmer

Kimmer Well-Known Member

they really shouldn't call it a masterpiece when they're anything but. "masterpiece tf" is almost an oximoron now sadly.

9. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Anyone have any idea why this is occuring? Could this be why Grimlock is going for so much, to facilitate a new factory or workers or to recup losses due to returned merchandise?

10. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    My MP-01 Prime is good. Haven't had any problems with him. My Megatron I'm not sure about. I've never transformed him. What are some problems I should be looking out for? Hearing this stuff makes me a little nervous about getting Grimlock.

11. Oric

Oric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Megatron has some flimsy limbs, I found a regular screw driver tightening the shoulder joints made his transformation easier, the clips are prone to breaking where they connect as the butt of the gun meets the barrel. The issues wth skywarp/thundercracler seem to have stress marks right out of the box, and in the case of my skywarp had no stress marks but was impossible to bend atthe wing joints. Ultra Magnus' lights were installed upside dowen and I can attest to it that prime has his joints sometimes completely absent in the packaging. in my case a head light assembly on the left hand side.

12. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Toy discussion goes in toy discussion.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Well, for one thing, you probably just shouldn't handle your MP Megatron... like, at all. Also, he has been known to overbalance and fall to his doom, so leaving him standing is also a no-no.

If possible try not to breathe in his presence. I've heard that might also cause breakage. And his feet rust easily.

But seriously... treat that figure with care. The plastic is brittle, and in many important structural points, absurdly thin. Be especially careful around the knees.

On the other end of the spectrum, I've had NO problems with my original MP Optimus Prime or MP Skywarp. Skywarp seems to be much more resilient than my Walmart G1 deco Starscream.

zmog

14. minstral

minstral Member

My MP2 reissue has a faulty right leg that won't click into place, hence I can't get it to stand without toppling over. ActionHQ won't replace it even though shipped MIB. How can I return this to Takara (that Oric talks about?)? I'll fix it myself if I can get a right leg as a part or a junked MP2. Anyone know where I can get this?

15. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My Masterpiece GreenScream had part of the wing missing in the box, and my MP Megatron had the little folding red panel inside the leg break off the first time I transformed it.

16. 0R10N P4X

0R10N P4X Banned

News Credits:
    Is there a picture showing the problem with the new MP-2?

17. Shockscream

Shockscream Chairman of Nerd Day

News Credits:
    My Masterpiece Starscream has some trouble when it comes to moving his right arm up and down. Other than that, he's fine.

18. Lord Astrotrain

Lord Astrotrain trashbag godmaster

now i'm nervous about my mp screamer and skywarp that are coming. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

i was planning on getting mp megs, but because of his balance issues i may not. i have cats. cats who love to knock things over. and one who likes to nom on figures.

19. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    damn, bro, that sucks! those arent minor defects u got, theyre pretty bad.. i got the reissues too, but i didnt have such major issues.. bad luck :( 

20. Makxsh1mum

Makxsh1mum Well-Known Member

wow, thank god i read this thread. I'm not getting suckered into another "masterpiece". I haven't bought any MP's from the TF line, but was one of the original peeps who bought the Masterpiece Veritechs from Toynami and those were HORRRRRRRIBLE. Trust me, nothing is worse than toynami QC.