Thinning Out the Collection

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Black Omega, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Black Omega

Black Omega Commander Panda Prime

I am working at thinning out my collection because the 7ft tall x 3ft wide bookcases I plan on getting only come with 5 adjustable shelves giving me a total of 6 shelves to display TF's on them. Additional shelves are not available to buy for these bookcases. While thinning out the 07' movie, G2 and Armada figures were no problem, other lines like Energon and Cybertron were particularly difficult. When you all decide to thin out your collections do you run into this problem too?

2. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

No room in a closet, attic, basement, etc? My game, or "man room," is only about 11ft x 10ft, and I hate clutter, so I only have 5-10 TF's displayed, but it's kind of a flavor of the month thing. I have my toys in Rubbermaid bins in a closet and every once in a while I'll crack them open and go... "oh yeah, I remember this one.. he needs to be displayed."

So my thinning out is really just packing them away. No problems there.

3. Black Omega

I live in a split level townhome so I don't have a basement or attic. And my closet space is currently taken up with other various home items and boxes to my reissued TF's. I think I have it paired down to fit the bookcases I plan to get. Just was curious if other people ran into the same issues that I have when they thinned out their collections.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Yeah, all my old Marvel stuff is boxed up waiting for me to take pictures of them and put up for sale.

I don't even have space for my few anime and DCDirect figures, though I'll be trying to make some for them.

5. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

With all the TFs that I have, and not much space to display them in my room, I decided to only showcase a handful of them in this small bookcase my dad brought home from one of the schools as they were going to get rid of it. On my top shelf there's Universe Unicron, Cybertron Primus, 20th Anniversary/MP Optimus Prime, Titanium War Within Optimus, and Titanium War Within Megatron; the second shelf has most of my Movie-verse figures, and the bottom shelf contains my TF board games (except for Monopoly) and some figures from the Unicron Trilogy that I have.

Everybody else is put away in a Rubbermaid tub, though at the rate that I buy new TFs, I may end up needing another Rubbermaid tub.... or see about finding another bookcase like the one I have. Of course, I got a number of TFs -- most of them I received in a trade but really didn't like them that well enough to keep them -- that I'm going to try and sell, so I can just focus on select toy-lines.

6. alfred p. sloan

alfred p. sloan Well-Known Member

I got a whole room (12 x 13). I thought that would have been plenty...

well it wasn't and I am quickly running out of room.

7. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I have a 2 3'x6' display cases and custom shelves that are 8' long. There are 2 of those shelves. I also have 3 other book shelves which have 3 shelves. With all that in a 8'x 12' area in the basement I do not have enough space. I have cut back on the collection several times. Cutting new stuff, then loose g2 stuff and now loose g1 stuff. Takes up a lot of space and I don't like keeping stuff in totes except for packaging. The decisions are hard and only get more difficult as i go along. I feel your pain....

8. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    For me, it's ridiculously easy to thin-out my Trilogy & Movie figures - while at the same time asking myself "Why did I ever buy this crap?" :lol .

When it comes to any other line (eg. G1, Beasties, MP/Alt/Binaltech, Classics), I just can't do it. I just can't bring myself to sell off any G1, Beasties etc. cos I simply luv 'em too much. :D 

9. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I just move the crap out and leave the good stuff on.

10. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    That's pretty much where I am. I had no issue culling the ranks of my A/E/C, BM, 07 Movie, RM, Universe, Tits collections, but I did it in phases. First phase being all the figures I really didn't want. Second wave being figures I kind of liked but were really meh.

11. Mr. Sparklebot

Mr. Sparklebot 'Til All Are Juan

News Credits:
    Sometimes. I usually have one or two figures I can take out and put in the toy bin to make space, but somehow they end up back on the shelf a week later, now more cramped than ever.

12. Renidragon

Renidragon Toys on my table!

I run into this problem, too.

There's a lot of toys that would normally go, but I like the character. There's other toys that I really don't care about the character at all, but I love the toy (Energon Landquake, I'm looking at you). Then there's the ones that either go together, or combine with others, namely the Energon Autobot Deluxes... By themselves, not really all that great, but I like the "Multiforce" combining aspect, and I have a lot of fun with that.

It's going to have to come down to a question of "which toys can I live without?"... which, of course, is all of them in a worst-case scenario. Since I don't need to go selling off all my toys though, I need to go and pick out the ones to go first, and it's getting harder to do that.

13. Deceptichage

Deceptichage Decepticon Land Pirate

News Credits:
    In 2001, two 2 x 3 shelves were more than enough for my collection. Now 80% of the collection is in storage bins.

14. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

That sounds about like me back in '02-'04 or so. It was one of the deciding factors in me selling off 3/4 of my collection. I've since did it again, and now I'm trying to decide again whether or not I want to do it.

15. process

process Hanlon's razor Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For display, I limit myself to three ~1 cu.ft. shelf cubicles.

MISB and MIB get strategically crammed in a closet, and the rest of my loose collection is stored in hand made trays that fit in your standard cardboard document box. It works pretty well, as I could fit about 30 carefully packed deluxe-sized figures in each box.

16. Black Omega

Well it's a bit of a relief that I'm not the only one struggling with this issue. I guess I'll have to see what I end up pairing my stuff down to. So far I've managed to set aside about 14 movie toys from the over two dozen I have. I've managed to set aside about a dozen of my Energon figs down from about 4 dozen figs. And I've decided to scratch even trying to collect anymore G2 figs so there is another dozen or so figs to set aside. But I'm finding Cybertron to be the most difficult to thin out. There are too many molds with great paint jobs in the Cybertron line that I just love too much. All in all I think I've got my collection whittled down enough to fit the bookcases I want to get. And since I'm only going to focus on G1 and Henkei/Classics I already actually have room to grow on my G1 bookcase and Classics bookcase. This is leaving quite alot of figures in the end for me to sell. I guess the work now begins. :D 

17. tf7

tf7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    my collection isn't that big, so i can't really give any opinions, but i have a feeling that when (or if) i buy leader starscream, my shelves will get overcrowded.

...come to think of it, they were overcrowded ever since ROTF Prime and megs came in, but they still fit... ::) 

18. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i just have enough to fit in my bookshelf i have to display but any more and ill have to start putting them in rubbermaids

19. kllrwlf

kllrwlf Well-Known Member

When I had everything in storage, I just bought what I wanted, played with it a little bit, put it on my desk, until the next one that I bought, then it would go into a box for storage.

Now that I finally have room to display them all... I realize how much I have, and now I want to thin it out... even though I have space.

20. jestermon

jestermon Well-Known Member

I have pretty much every toy since I was a child.

Unfortunately I had to sell things to pay my student loans at some point, it never seems to bring any happiness or even large amounts of cash to people who have done this.

I have a whole room full, I just can't sell some of that stuff, but newer stuff I bought out of impulse is a no brainer.

The enemy is ironically new toys.