Thinking of using superglue on FP Explorer

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by 009*, Nov 24, 2010.

1. 009*

009* That Guy In Nebraska

News Credits:
    I noticed that some of the joints on my Explorer/Blastoff are loose in the combined form, specifically where the ball joints where the legs attach, and joint where the Bruticus hand goes.

I considered using superglue to tighten these joints, but I'm concerned about the glue reacting with the plastic. Has anyone done this before, or can give advice?

2. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've superglue tightened the hips. Works just fine, no negative reaction.

I prefer to use Loctite Gel for this sort of application. Less messy. Just squeeze two or three tiny drops onto the ball, snap the joint back together, and just keep moving the joint around for a minute or so while the glue cures. You want to make sure you keep moving it about, not only to spread the glue around, but to make sure the parts don't fuse together.

3. 009*

News Credits:
    I was planning to use Krazy Glue and let it set overnight before reattaching the legs.

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'd hesitate to do it that way, because it won't dry with an even coat, leaving the ball lumpy, and thus losing the smooth articulation.

If you do the "dry overnight" method, I hear it's best to use the watery, brush-on kind of superglue, and brush on a thin, even coat over the entire ball.

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    That won't give an even coat on the ball, meaning your joint will stop moving in certain directions, or crack the socket. It's not going to tighten the joint.

6. Satomiblood

Satomiblood Prototype Black

Try using Future floor polish instead. It won't hurt the plastic at all.

7. 009*

News Credits:
    Okay, so if I use Krazy Glue and mx-01's method of moving the parts while the glue cures, should I detach the legs again after a certain amount of time, than re-attach them later, or just leave them on?

8. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just recently used Locite Super Glue to tighten some ball joints on Sidearm Sideswipe.

I tried to apply as little as possible while coating the entire ball. I then put the leg back on and moved it around to spread it. Next I removed the leg again and let it dry. When I put the leg back on in a minute or two it was perfect.

I don't know if that's the best way to do it but that's what I did and would do again.