Thinking of selling iPad 2 for Galaxy Tab...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Los, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    So I bought the iPad 2 WiFi last fall for graduate school so I could rent textbooks. After finding that it was too hard to read accounting books on a tablet, the iPad mostly sits at home for watching videos or web surfing.

I like the iPad but considering how I use it, it is basically just an oversized iPhone (I have an iPhone 4). From what i have seen from Andriod the UI seems fresh and I like the idea of multi-tasking like a laptop (having more then one program running on the screen instead of swtiching to another app).

So I am thinking of selling my white iPad 2 and (based on online reviews) looking at either a refurbed Tab 10.1, a new Tab 2 10.1 or a refurbed 8.9 (Walmart has it complete with dock and keyboard). What I want to do is email, watch movies, listen to music, surf the web via wifi and occasionally edit word or excel files. I am not a huge customizer but I am somewhat tech savvy. I am not too keen on keyboard compatibility which is why I am steering clear of Asus Transformers.

I am leaning towards 8.9 due to size as I do find myself looking down more at the tablet instead of holding it up. The price is great too as I may also sell off the keyboard it comes with.

Any opinions from people who have these tabs or switched from one to the other?

2. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Dude, please get an Asus TF201. That thing is just like a better Galaxy Tab. There's little point to get a Galaxy tab when the TF201 is available (Transformer Prime).

The keyboard may be it's big selling point, but having used it for half a year now i can say that it's simply not the biggest draw of this tablet. The keyboard's a piece of crap, it's just an oversized battery. The keys are thin as hell and don't work unless you hit the center (the space bar is especially annoying for this). Seriously, throw the keyboard out the window. Preferably at someone you don't like. It's only good points are arrow keys (yippee, text editing is possible now), USB and SD slots (the tablet itself houses the Micro-Sim slot) and that it works as an extra battery.

But the tablet's processing power is just amazing. It can run so many apps at the same time without slowing down, which has plagued devices (especially my other android phones and my iPad and iPod Touch) i've had for ages. The TF201 runs very well, and it actually has a very good trackpad to operate and switch between apps (arguably one of the few good things that keyboard has). It's main appeal is the fact that high-quality graphics and complex games run really well on it.

Come to think of it, the main reason i got my TF201 over a Galaxy tab (aside from the fact back then the Galaxy tabs were dual core, i think they've since been made quad core as well to compete with the quad core TF201) was the fact it has an Nvidia Tegra 3 graphics card built-in. Still the best graphics card for tablets. Now, does this mean it'll look better than a Galaxy tab? No, frankly Galaxy looks better because Samsung's screens are great. The Tegra 3 chip shines when you run games with lots of good graphics, because it can handle a constant stream of lots of images and colours all at once, so much so that games are being made for the Tegra Zone, a series of apps with such graphics that only devices with the Tegra series of chips can run them. Any other device i have (which would be a few android phones, iPod, iPad) struggles with games that have complex and numerous graphics; the TF201 doesn't.

Of course, i'd still say switch to a Galaxy tab if you don't want the TF201, because frankly you can't lose by going to an Android tab. You say you are somewhat tech savvy, as long as you can navigate Windows and Microsoft Office style stuff, Android should be a piece of cake.

My main concern is still the fact you want to do text editing. The arrow keys on the TF201 are so useful for editing text, they're the main reason why i keep the keyboard around (accurately placing the cursor between letters in text is a pain in the *** without the arrow keys). Just don't type on the keyboard, because it'll be really frustrating and annoying.

As for which Galaxy tab model, i'd say get the new Tab 2 10.1 if only because a refurbished old model isn't really screaming "safe" nor "reliable" to me. The smaller tab...i don't know, every time Samsung puts out something half way in between it ends up being a flop (i'm looking at you, Galaxy Note).

I suppose if i had to conclude this post the main thing would be that i started out on the original iPad, and when i upgraded i looked at what was available (iPad 2, TF201, first Galaxy 10.1 tab) and chose the TF201 because it's specs were teh best of the bunch by far. Galaxy...if it had been cheaper it would have been a good middle ground, but the TF201 retails around the same price and just worked better and faster, and that Tegra 3 graphics engine was just too good to pass up. Going to a galaxy feels like a needless step back, as you may as well just get the Asus, but if you are set on a Galaxy then it'll serve you well, or at least better than the iPad did.

*Note: Yes, the TF201's first releases were plagued with hardware and software bugs, and i just got mine back from technical support after itr just stopped working entirely. However, newer machines should have no such problems, and Asus' technical support were quick and nice about getting my tab working again, so i was only out of a tab for 3 weeks (including shipping interstate). I wouldn't worry too much about it, since buying one now the bugs should have been removed (i've not heard of machines being bugged for months now).

3. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    All solid points. I have always owned Windows computers, have Vaio laptop at he moment. To be honest I am a little worried about buying a refurbed 8.9 from Walmart.com.

My concern with the Prime is the metal backing affecting wifi. Has it bothered you any?

4. Treadshot A1

Mine is the early release ( i got mine soon after launch iirc), so i expect that it's filled with bugs.

I've only had one issue with wifi, and that's connecting to temporary routers, like the little travel ones yuou take with yuou on holiday. Those annoy me to no end that my TF201 won't connect reliably. It will connect, but it sorta drops in and out. The same thing happens with my iPad and Android phones, so i don't know if i just set up the router incorrectly or not.

At home, i have no such issues with Wifi. I've noted that whenever my tablet drops out of wifi, my Galaxy S3 (another thing running Android 4) and my Win 7 laptop drop out of wifi at the same time, every time, while other devices (android 2.3, iOS, win XP) all stay on wifi. I expect that since the same three machines drop out every time and always the three devices drop out of wifi together, that i must have set my wifi up incorrectly. This is only a very rare occurrence, though. In half a year, maybe 3 times? Probably my wifi being screwed up. I do live in Australia, so internet connection is just shoddy in general.

Also, what tab doesn't have a metal backing? The iPad i have (original model) is metal on the back, same with my TF201. Neither have any issues.

There is a weird thing with the Prime that it has 'pogo pins' at the top of the tablet, and those are pins with springs on them. They sometimes pop out due to the springs, and that causes wifi to fail. Again, this is only a problem found on early releases (mine was early, but even mine did not suffer from this, so they fixed this one really early). This can be fixed just by squeezing the top of the tablet, but i haven't heard of the problem being widespread at all after teh initial few batches of tablets were released. By teh time i got mine (Jan 2012), the problem didn't occur any more.

5. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Not all the G Tabs have metal backings (the 2 10.1 does not not sure about the 8.9). From the reviews I have read online the main issue with the Asus Prime because it's metal backing causes issues with wifi and gps. I have seem online comments on reviews that claims Asus sent out a plastic piece to attach on the one of the tab's edges. I have never heard about software issues only this particular hardware issue.

But keep in mind that most of the reviews online test specs throughly, like battery life. So it sounds like you are not really experiencing anything unusual.

6. Treadshot A1

All i can say is that my Asus tab hasn't had any wifi issues which are significant. And that i don't use GPS so i can't comment on that part of it.

Oh, i should mention that the Asus has one drawback: No mobile data. Only wifi. Not a problem for me, but if you want a GPS it might be an issue for you.

7. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Sounds good. I am going to list my iPad 2 on ebay tonight an start looking at Primes. I dont use GPS and only use wifi at home or school.

8. Los

Los Now you see me...

Ebay:
    Some looked into it and I can't afford the Prime. I did go to a couple of Best Buys and each time the Asus was difficult in trying to play trailers from the Dark Knight Rises website. Anyone here have a Tab?