Thinking of getting my dad a DS for X-mas

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Thorns2010, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Thorns2010

Thorns2010 Well-Known Member

Hey all, looking for some input here.

My dad turned 60 this year, and as always I'm at a lost for what to get him for Christmas. He loves puzzles and brain teasers, so I've been thinking of getting him a DS with at least one of the Brain Age games.

My question is, does this seem like a good idea? I've never played any of the games, and haven't heard a lot about them. He isn't super into technology, but I would think the DS is basic enough that he would enjoy it.

So TFW2005 members, I beseech you, what are your thoughts on this idea?

2. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    I would say yes. The way is see it if you get him Sodoku or another puzzle game that uses paper in conventional means, it wont be too much different from the real thing using the stylus. That way he doesnt have to blow on the DS or any other weird movements or things that normally put people off of videogames. Nice and simple.

3. Dr. Lucky

Dr. Lucky Well-Known Member

Did you see the Penny-Arcade comic about this on Monday?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/12/03

That about sums it up. My dad uses my sister's DS all the time. My mother-in-law uses mine or my wife's DS a lot, and my mother-in-law was just playing Wii Sports Tennis with my wife last night. The DS and Wii both are totally accessable to this generation of people. Brain Age is a good start for sure.

My dad is younger than yours (46) so he winds up playing New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart too. He used to play Mario Kart with me on the SNES when I was in grade school. My mother-in-law is in her sixties though, and she like Brain Age and some of the other puzzle type games.

4. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I bought a DS when the new lite came out a couple of years ago and I liked it. Well my mom saw it and asked for one last christmas so she got one. Then I decided to get my fiancee, adamantly against games beforehand, a DS and now she plays FFIII and all my other games. Lol, it's actually gotten into the more hardcore games like Viva Pinata on the 360... hahhahaaa ;)  So in a word, YES!