Thinking of attempting a reshell

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by cheetor71, Jul 17, 2010.

1. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

This is a Nissan Skyline GTR 1:24 scale diecast car. I'm not sure who or what I should use for a base model. Any suggestions will be very helpful.

Attached Files:

• GTR.JPG
      GTR.JPG
      File size:
      189.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    1:24 is about alternators scale right? I really don't know.

3. rumsawatti

rumsawatti Dino-bot

DUDE!!! This would fukking OWN!!!!!! OMFG IF U PULL THIS OFF!!!!!!! DAMN!!!!! if u pull this u should try it with a nissan silvia into a real accurate alt mode drift!!!

4. Alloy Alchemist

Alloy Alchemist Decepticon sympathizer

alternators are 1/25 scale and so is masterpiece prime

5. xaviercal

xaviercal Customizer

Ebay:
    it don't had too be an Alternator/ depending on the size; you mix and match piece for the upper half or bottom half what work the best; Cutting metal is complete difference I think you going too need 3'' High Speed Air Cutter....but have no real experience cutting metal...good luck

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Think it through in Creative Discussion; post any physical work in Customs. I wish you the very best with your project :thumb 

7. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    I would vote Drift also. This would make for one unique and cool custom. Good luck with whatever you choose to do with this!

8. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

It's just an idea right now. I'm not really sure where I'm going with it yet.

9. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

Excellent choice of reading. Eddings and Feist.

Cutting the metal is fairly simple. You don't need a 3" high speed cutter, a dremel with a cutoff would do just fine and make more precise cuts. Bonding the metal to the plastic TF will be a lot more difficult. You can certain try jb weld or something of that nature, but you're talking about surface adhesion. I might even recommend drilling holes in the plastic AND the metal and filling them both with JB weld just to give it something to bite into. You can smooth out the filler afterwards.

You could try a diecast TF, but I'm a certified welder, and I've been doing some pretty extensive research on top of my own experience and it turns out that diecast is quite difficult to solder and you pretty much have to find a specialty rod that will work for you. For example alumilloy will work, but it's finish comes out extremely hard and is difficult to work after the solder is done. I have heard of a lot of methods that SHOULD work, but I have met or heard from noone who has achieved a successful bond that could speak to me and give me advice on the issue whether in person or on a message board or chat room.

In some ways scratch building is actually easier than reshelling an alternator, but then that's just my personal opinion. With a scratch build you have a lot more flexibility with the transforming than you do trying to fudge parts from another TF and make them fit. Just my 2 cents.

Mathius

10. Treadshot A1

Treadshot A1 Or just 'A1' for short...

Since the OP actually asked for a base (i:24 being about Alt. scale, right? Close enough), i would recommend you use a Alt. Prime, with all the truck parts removed.

I don't know how to describe it, but i think Wikkid on Sector70 had a good follow along custom Breakdown Reshell, that seems like it could be changed slightly to fit this shell. He used an Alt. Prime.

11. Superquad7

News Credits:
    If you're going to use Alternators as your base mold(s), I'd recommend a mis-mash of parts.

12. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

Thank you all for the advise. I might not do this after all. I didn't realize metal was going to be so friggin hard to work with. It's just that I love the GTR and would really love to have one as a transformer. I think I'll try to look around and see if I can find a plastic model and go from there.

13. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I also love Goodkind and The master himself, the late Robert Jordan. What do you like to read?

Like I said in the above post, I think I'll try to find something in plastic.

14. Mathius Maximus

Mathius Maximus Well-Known Member

I also read Goodkind, and Jordan. Also Weis and Hickman, Fred Saberhagen, Terry Brooks, Deborah Chester, Dorita K. Paul, Anne Rice, C.S. Freidman, Sara Douglass, David Drake, Tad Williams.. of course Tolkien's main works and I've gotten through part of the simarililion (tough read). John Marco and some Stephen King. I've tried to read Anne McCaffery, L.E. Modesett, but I can't get into either author's books so far. I've read a bit of George Martin and liked it. I often re-read stuff because I have trouble finding new authors. Can't wait for Jordan's series to be finished. I also read Brandon Sanderson's books before he wrote Jordan's last book. He's a good author and he did a pretty good job with Memory and Light.

If you did opt to go diecast, if you could find an undersized TF base, you might get away with using alumiloy just to tack solder some supports behind the diecast GTR and then drill and tap the supports to attach the plastic robot. Either way plastic would be easier, but a diecast TF would be so cool. I've seen KingBotz stuff, and it doesn't look terribly difficult for someone with a metal working background. The main thing holding me back is a work area since I live in an apartment. Running over to my buddy's every time I get motivated to work on it could get tedious.

Mathius

15. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well id say this info is wrong, alts are 1/24 scale it even says so on their boxes. this would be an epic reshell but would take a lot to cut the diecast so get a good rotary tool! but a reimagining of drift would kick ass!

16. cheetor71

cheetor71 Autobot

I know. That why I am trying to go with the GTR. It may be a long time before I can get this ging. I've never attempted a reshell before.

17. nellie131

nellie131 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    im just working on my 1st reshell too, not an alt scale however.

look around the boards and tutorials they are helping me a lot!

18. Superquad7

News Credits:
    This is awesome to hear! I'm glad we can be of help to you on your project :)