Thinking about getting into Gundam kits. Any advice?

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by CyberSlippit, Nov 20, 2008.

1. CyberSlippit

CyberSlippit Bot crazy!

I've been looking online and there are some seriously cool Gundam kits out there. I've never seen the show, but they look awesome! I used to put together Zoids kits a while back, so the building shouldn't be a problem, but any suggestions on which kits are the best? I think the master grade size is what I want to work with, but there are so many options there, its a little overwhelming :p  Any advice is welcome!

CS :D 

2. Sideways

Sideways Banned

i usually get the bigger model kits. they're a bit more challenging to build.

Show wise, I've only watched Gundam Wing, Endless Waltz and G Gundam.

3. deceptifocus

deceptifocus *Supercharged*

Ebay:
    ive only done one, i think they consist of smaller more tedious parts than zoids tho and they are a bot more exspensive

4. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's a huge ongoing Gundam thread that most of us Gundam nuts pay attention to. This'll probably get merged in...

Anyways, if you're looking for something more "toylike", then most MG kits released in the last couple of years should fit the bill nicely. You'll likely find the lesser kits a bit too light and flimsy feeling (although I'm quite partial to the Gundam 00 1/144 line). Beyond that, it all depends on your personal tastes. Quite obviously, kits with big wings and backpacks are a bit more unstable, balance-wise, but Bandai's also released inexpensive stands to accompany them, to enact dramatic flying poses, where those kits are most impressive.

Take a look through the MG section at ´Þ·ÕÀÌÀÇ °ÇÇÃ¶ó ¸®ºä to get an idea of what you're looking at. Any kit shown there from the Zeta Plus A1 onwards is quite solid (except recolours of older kits), although I'd say it's after the Strike Gundam that the line really starts hitting its stride in terms of the solid-ness of the figures. The more basic ones retail for around $40-50, but the MG line can get up to just over $100 for the larger, more deluxe models.

Once you've picked out ones that interest you, we can discuss further.

5. CyberSlippit

CyberSlippit Bot crazy!

*EDIT: Found the thread!* :D  Is there an English option on that site? I clicked on the link, but it was all in Japanese :confused:  I've been looking on a site called gundam store and more, they have tons of stock, so I might order from them... Thanks a bunch for the advice! I'm going to search for that other thread. It sounds like it could be really useful!

*Sideways, your sig is scary :lol  Hilarious, yet disturbing.

CS :) 

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  6. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The site's in Korean, but the headings are all in English, and there's an "English Catalogue" option to view all the names in English.

7. CyberSlippit

CyberSlippit Bot crazy!

I stand corrected :p  I'll have to go back and check it out again. Thanks! :) 

8. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    CS!! What about me!? You know I'm a Gundam nut! :p  Why not ask me!? xD

9. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well, don't get a gundam seed no grade.
    NG Saviour was my first gundam, and I was completely put of for a few months until I looked back into them. Then I bought a HG and was amazed at how awesome it is.
    four months later I have put together five kits and am halfway through G Gundam. With nothing but gundam on my birthday list!
    And the site mx-01 pointed out is a fantastic site, helped me pick and chose which ones I liked.

And you really should check out Prime92 on youtube
    YouTube - Prime92's Channel
    She has alot of videos about these. Mostly HG and a few MG's sprinkled in.
    EDIT- If you are buying online, try Gundam Model Kits From BANDAI
    But only if you are getting a whole bunch of kits, since there is a flat rate or 10 dollars shipping. :thumbs2: 

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

If you're going to go Gundam, it's Perfect Grade and Master Grade or bust. I love the Perfect Grade Strike. The MG Rick-DOM is also a gem, particularly with the articulated fingers. I personally love the MG EZ-08 although people think I'm nuts for that.

**Edit:
    Or you could save your money and get some Yamato valks.

11. cheetorBWORG

cheetorBWORG Cheetor Fan

News Credits:
    No! No Macross here! And PG's are a bit too big, I think.

Anyways, I got CS interested in MG's, so I think this thread is done. :p 

12. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed but compared to the Armor Core kits, the Gundam kits are a walk in the park! :D 

Exactly what I would have posted! Well said or written, dude!

Dude for a second, I knew it too good to be truth...until ya started promoting the Yamato Valks! LOL! While they are well designed, they are too rich for my blood and at times feel more fragile than some of my MG kits! XD

Now for my comments - please note that the later the release, the better engineered the MG kit is. For example, a version 2.0 Zaku II is better than a version 1.0 Zaku II kit.

IMO believe Bandai up the ante for the MG kits starting from the MKII version 2.0...therefore should you check dalong.net, check releases from that particular kit onwards. For example, the Freedom, Destiny were really good kits IMO. My person fave are the Hi Nu and RX-78 version 2.0. The quality of the kits are so toy-like - though as durable as a TF!

13. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

Simply put- find what you like. And I mean visually. If you think the Gundam looks bad as hell, then buy one and build it. Master Grades are nice if you can drop the money on them. I personally don't, but I've got little else but 1/144s anyway, I simply like the size of them. Plus you can play with a HG more than you could (or would be willing to) a MG. And I keep several on the shelf in action poses and whatnot.

But yeah, I guess if you want suggestions for a good kit to buy, I'd highly reccomend the RX-78-2. It is the Gundam and without a doubt a must-have. There are several different versions out there, so take your pick.

My personal favorite Gundam of all time is the Hyaku Shiki (I know... not a Gundam). Because Char is the shit, and the suit is awesome. And he does a Rider Kick in Gundam vs ZGundam (or AEUG vs Titans... I can't remember).

14. Cynicist

Cynicist Give me the 'oop

Gundamstoreandmore.com rocks :thumbs2: 

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Start with a Master & Perfect grade , they leave better first impressions. Will instantly hook ya. The smaller ones are just appetizers

16. Sideways

Sideways Banned

yeah wat Muffin said.. I started with the little ones then worked on some bigger ones.