Thinking about getting a X-box 360

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by NSJ23, Aug 17, 2006.

1. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

OK, I need/want a new gaming system. Sometime in September or October I'm going to buy one. I not thinking about the Wii or PS3 yet because if I get one of those it won't be until 2007.

I already have a PS2 and Gamecube. So the X-box360 it is. I don't own the first x-box so the games I will buy are Dead Rising and Halo 2 when I purchase my x-box. and Maybe Madden 2007.

Can you guys recommend games (That are not RPG's or Star-wars) that I should pick up when I plug the trigger on this purchase?

Thanks In Advance

NSJ23

2. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
    I had been thinking of getting a new XBox 360, but last I heard there are still several systems out there that are overheating and DYING either within the 90 day period, or right outside of it. I'd research the system a bit more, to see if Microsoft has fixed the problem.

Another thing you have to look at is the XBox 360, fully loaded for the system itself, is going to be around $600. Now, the PS3's final price (last I knew) was around there and the Wii is going to be $250 to $300.

3. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

For what I want it would be $530.00 shipped (as of the free shipping special gamestop is having right now). That is for the Pro System, Halo 2 and Dead Rising.

4. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Your memory of the Xboix 360 Pro's pricetag is about $200 higher than its retail price, unless you're thinking of a bundle with games and extra controllers. Also, he already said he won't buy the other systems until next year.

5. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    Ehh... the 360 just doesn't appeal to me. All it has over the last XBox is better graphics. Sure, the games look great and there are some established series I'd love to have, like Mechwarrior, but I'm tired of the same ol'-same-ol' games.

I do remember that the price for a FULLY loaded Xbox 360, minus games, was $600 or close to it. That is out of my budget.

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=B020253AB

I've been keeping up, being a former Microsoft employee and MS hater (even though I use Windows XP), to see how it is doing. It is selling VERY well, and the games aren't too shabby.

6. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I too was thinking of getting a 360, but I still hear horror stories of systems overheating and even dieing outside of their warrenty period. :(  So at least for now, Im just waiting for the Wii, and if 360 ever starts getting its act together or the PS3 is looking strong and stable, I might buy one of those in the next few years. But for now, my next gen of choice is going to be Wii and a PC. Shame I keep hearing about the problems with the system, because I really love the 360's controllers.:( 

7. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I have neuropathy in my hands pretty bad, and can hardly hold my beloved Nintendo DS. I sold my XBox and games because it was physically TOO painful to hold the original XBox controller. I haven't had a chance to hold the XBox 360 controllers, and if the controllers are really ergonomic, I'd LOVE to get one once they iron out the "issues" with it.

Currently, the Nintendo Wii (I HATE that name, I prefered Revolution) is the console I'm looking forward too, with games like Red Steel, Metroid Prime 3, Rayman: Rabbid Wabbids, and some of the inevitable Virtual Console releases.

8. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

Don't think, do.

The 360 is a peek in to the future of console gaming, although it is pretty much crippled if it's not connected to a broadband internet connection permanently.

As for games, DOA4 is pretty fun, if somewhat flawed, but it's good for a giggle and works especially well over LIVE. Table Tennis is pretty neat too, and cheap and if you like racing games PRoject Gotham is a fairly robust title.

If you're looking to bolster your games library, check out XBox LIVE Arcade, it has about 2 dozen retro-ish styled arcade games for around $6-ish each. Some are a little more expensive than others, but usually you get awesome value for money with them. All of them have demo versions for you to try before you buy, so there is no danger of you ending up with a clunker.

Don't listen to the naysayers, the 360 is an experience that, at present, simply can't be matched by anything else out there right now. And I'm not talking about grpahics either.

9. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Seconded. The fact that it has a distribution channel for the sort of stuff that big publishers won't invest in anymore went half way to selling it to me, not to mention that I can try most buy-in-shop games without having to buy obscenely priced magazines to get demo disks.

The XB360's controllers are the nicest i've used since the SNES as well, much better then Sony's torture racks or the rubik's puzzles that Ninteno have used since. No hardware issues with mine either, althougth i've got enougth sense to give my electronic goods some airflow.

10. McBradders

Oh, plus it can Blog. Which is both scary, and awesome all at once. Like a rollercoaster.

11. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    That link says $500, and it's still not a fair comparison. You're saying that jacking up the price of a 360 with an extra controller, remote, and play & charge kit is the same as a PS3, but you're adding a bunch of extra junk to the 360 just to get to the baseline PS3. To be fair, you'd have to add the cost of extra controllers and other accessories to the PS3 too, which would bring it to $700-800 (without games).

12. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    You might wanna wait...theres a good chance there will be some kinda price drop in the next few months...

13. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The only fact in this statement is that you used to be an employee of Microsoft.

14. Streck

Streck QED Veteran

I'd love to know the details on that one. I can check on former Microsoft employees pretty easily. :) 

15. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'm still planning on holding off on a 360 until Halo 3. Dead Rising was the first 360 game that made me really want to have a 360, but I can wait. They'll have to pull something pretty special out before then for me to jump on it early.

16. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Logic has been replaced with blind ignorance.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can't actually prove it, but I thought I'd at least give the benefit of the doubt.
    :dunce 

17. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

The 360 is not that expensive. I bought my system for $280(used from EB). The I bought a used HD from blockbutser ($50), and a used controler from them($25). The best thing about EB is the warrentys, from $30 you are covered for 1 year. Which is what I did.

As far as games.
    Dead Rising - is good
    Chromehounds - awesome if you have online capablty.
    Ninty Nine Nights - very good
    Halo 2 - has some issues on the 360 due to the software backward compatiblty
    Burnout revenge - awesome.
    Need for speed most wanted - no differnt than the xbox version

18. McBradders

It's not early, Joe, you're late. Pac-Man is crying because of you!

19. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Ya gotta do better than what's available on XBLA now. There are a ton of really great arcade games dying to be put up there. Midway seems to want to support XBL so much. Come on, how about an XBL enabled version of Gauntlet II, Rampage or Rampart? Konami seems to be headed in the right direction though.

20. McBradders

Yah, in all fairness, the Namco stuff is shite compared to the stops Konami pulled out with Frogger.

But Contra is coming!

Whoo!