Thinking about buying a new LCD HDTV today...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by flywheels, Nov 18, 2007.

1. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm on a super tight budget just after paying for a new water pump on my car, but I've been kicking around a few different LCD HDTV models. My primary use of the TV will be video games. It's going in my game room so I won't be watching much TV or even DVDs on it. I plan to have all of my consoles hooked up to it...Sega Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, SNES, N64, Wii, Xbox & 360. I'm not interested in having the "best of the best" or a set w/ all of the bells & whistles...I've got all of that on the TV in the living room. That said, here is the model I'm leaning towards:

** EDIT ** New TV selected...

Specifications
    OLEVIA 32" 2 Series LCD HDTV
    Video
    Screen size (diagonal) 32"
    Display type HDTV
    Flat panel technology LCD flat panel
    Built-in tuner NTSC/ATSC
    Widescreen Yes
    Comb filter 3D Digital
    Maximum viewing angles H:178 / V:178
    Resolution 720p (1366 x 768)
    Picture-in-picture No
    Contrast ratio 1600:1
    Audio
    Audio type Stereo
    Inputs and outputs
    Component video inputs 2
    S-video inputs 1
    Composite inputs 1
    RF inputs 0
    DVI (Digital Video Interface) 0
    HDMI inputs 1
    PC compatible Yes
    Convenience
    Remote Basic
    Pedestal stand Yes, fixed
    Wall mount Not included
    DVD player included No
    General features
    UPC 872303009437
    Manufacturer's part number 232V
    Dimensions
    Height 22.2 inches
    Width 37.8 inches
    Depth 9.4 inches
    Weight 33.2 lbs.

Again, I know it's not the king of the hill, but with my limited knowledge it appears to be sufficent for my gaming needs. Circuit City has them this week for a little under $500. After looking at a lot of the local Black Friday ads in my area this is as much of a good deal as it gets and it doesn't require me to wait in crazy lines either.

So, comments? Sound like a decent deal for a video game only tv?

2. Cory Bauer

Cory Bauer Well-Known Member

Flywheels, there's really nothing worse for gaming than a cheap LCD. Unless space or weight is an issue, if I was limited to $400 I'd probably consider something like this, a CRT-based HDTV. It's going to have far better picture and response times than a cheap LCD, but the downside of course is that it weighs 117 pounds, takes up a lot more space, and consumes more power.

3. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Symphonic is a crappy quality brand. If they offer a multi-year warrantee I'd definitely get it. Also that contrast ratio is kind of low. The colors won't be as vibrant.

4. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    True and true. A cheap LCD will have bad motion blur, and that sucks for gaming. A CRT will give you the best refresh and picture, but the downside is it's heavy and deep. If you have the space and don't plan on moving it, there's nothing better.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2007
  5. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Assuming that your new choice is was listed after these other comments, I can say that the TV you have there is pretty decent. I have it, and I have my PS3 hooked up to it. It looks really amazing.

The only downside with this TV is that you have to flip through all the functions to get to the desired setting (Tuner, Svideo, Component, VGA, HDMI). It's not bad, but it's something to be aware of beforehand.

6. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With LCD's, you really get what you pay for. And I mean no offense to anyone by that statement. Save up a little more and get a Samsung. You'll never regret it.

7. Sixshot

Sixshot Jeff Goldbluman Group

News Credits:
    Both my brother and I have Olevia HDTVs. I use mine for TV, gaming, movies, and it's my screen for my computer. Works really well. Picture is great.

8. WTF2005

WTF2005 Chaos Commander

If you want a budget tv and shitty customer service, get Olevia. Picture quality is decent, but it will definitely not blow you away. I recommend doing some decent research on this, because at the end of the day it's the tv in front of you, not the dollar saved that will matter. And from experience with Olevia's, you can do worse but you can do much better...

Of course this is coming from and HD nut and my friend having and Olevia for comparison helps. One thing you must consider, if you're like me, is contrast ratio and more important, black levels. I like my deep black and a lot of TVs drive me insane with their muddy/milky blacks. Also, only one HDMI input might frustrate you someday. Just some friendly advice. :) 

9. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I concur, don't buy it especially if you want it for any gaming.

10. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

I'm not sure if you really want to fight off the people on Black Friday, but there are some good deals to be had. If you're looking for chaep and good Circuit City has a Sharp 32" on sale for $599 and a Sony 32" for $699. I have the Sony and it's a good tv. It's the cheapest 32" LCD they make but it looks great and has the same inputs as the one up S model. The Olevia tempted me, but after hearing horror stories about their customer service I decided to stear clear.

11. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I broke down and purchased the Olevia 232v last night. Got it hooked up to all but the 360 and everything looks great. During the initial channel scan, one of the built in tuners picked up a few local HD channels that we didn't get before...so I got to see Beyonce last night in all her HD beauty!

Back to gaming, everything looked great. I test drove each of the systems (Wii, N64, SNES, Dreamcast & Saturn) and the games looked 100 times better than on the old 42" Toshiba rear projection TV...of course that TV was nearly 13 years old too. Anyhow, once I get a new network adapter I'll move the 360 onto this television too. I'm also considering bringing the computer downstairs to put on the TV as well. With a new wireless keyboard & mouse, why not? It give me a stronger wireless signal on the 360 having the router in the same room (as opposed to being seperated by a floor and several rooms) plus it'd free up a lot more space in my toy room not having that clunky desk in there.

I'm not a HD nut and I don't care to have the best of the best. We already bought a really nice (and expensive) 42" LCD for the living room when we sold our previous home in May of this year so that will meet my HD needs. This TV will be for gaming and the occassional movie.

I spent hours and hours researching several different makes and models so I'm aware of the less than stellar customer service Olevia has. I made sure to pick up the extended warranty from Circuit City and plan on keeping the box just in case. One of the salesmen @ CC acknowledge there rough history, but pointed out that there are a lot of happy customers as well. Told me if I had any problems whatsoever to just return the TV and they'll swap it out...for that same model or even another brand if I so choose. After getting the set home, I double-checked the model # extension w/ a list I found online and mine is the newest...manufactured in Sept. if I'm not mistaken. Anyhow, firmware is updated to the newest release too so all I have left to do is play around w/ the individual settings to "perfect" the picture to my liking.

One last thing. I had to take the Genesis out of the setup b/c the RF adapter made some of the stations screwy. Some of them were really fuzzy and some channels didn't even come it at all. Oh well, at least there a lot of Genesis on the Virtual Games.

I'll add some pics of the setup later today or tomorrow. Now to pick up some good component cables for the Wii and 360 and I'm off to blissful gaming...

12. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks like it fits you nicely, Definitely a step up from a projecton TV. Have fun.:D 

13. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Ohh it was a second TV. Now I want one in my bedroom . :lol 

14. flywheels

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Still not done, but here's part of the game room thus far...

[​IMG]

15. TonyzCustomz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Looks great! We should start a show us your gaming set up. Thread. Unless it already exists.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007