think TF names are just names like ours?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by grunge, Jun 9, 2011.

1. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    when a new cybertronians is built and a spark placed into it, i wonder how the name is given/issued?

like we have the autobot inferno and the predacon inferno. Optimus Prime and then Optimus Minor. being that prime is a title, it could be given that Optimus in and of it self is a name.

like wise, -Maximus. theres been a few of those, again not entirely limited to either autobot or decepticon.

a predacon took on the name Megaton as well as another Galvatron. Silverbolt got re-used twice during the beast era.

and apparently "bumblebee" is a code name.

2. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

Animated was an interesting case, where the Autobots apparently had no names until their commanding officer at boot camp gave them one. I'm assuming they were called by serial numbers until then...

IIRC, didn't some of the newly created characters in G1 get to name themselves? "Hi, I like to bash heads, so you can call me Headbasher!" That kind of thing.

And then there are the TFs with Earth-specific names that wouldn't make sense before they encountered humans. What was Jazz called for the first four million years of his life? I suppose he could have been named after a style of alien music and he just picked the closest Earth style to change his name to, kind of like people will sometimes alter their name to the closest equivalent when they move to a different country.

Maybe they're all code names... A TF's real name could sound like static or modem noise, and they just adopt an easier name for speaking in English.

3. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Just like internet names for humans!

4. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I like the thought of there being several different Transformers who have used the names Optimus and Megatron. It makes the names Optimus and Megatron from Beast Wars/Machines a little more likable. I'd rather think that there've been many Transformers who have used those names, as opposed to those two having been only the second Transformers ever to use those names in Cybertronian history.

5. Omegatron Prime

Omegatron Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Well the only things that come to mind about the subject is Optimus used to be called orion pax and jazz at some point in the g1 comics says his real name would be unpronounceable in english. So i reckon that their names are kind of call signs like airforce pilots use e.g. tom cruise in top gun.

I think that there names are given based on their names or appearance like how you call a skinny guy slim or a tall guy stretch; it's like a descriptive nickname or in this case call sign.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    The call-sign hypothesis is the one I roll with. I also like to think that a TF's true name is a highly personal thing, something they don't freely share.

Just as an aside: 'Jazz' is not an Earth-specific name. It can also be a verb that means 'to liven up' ('to jazz up').

7. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Well it's obvious, they just look around them and see all the Tidal Waves and Bumblebees and what not and they pick a totally logical name :D 

8. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I always thought they work on the same thinking of biblical names: most of the names [regardless of their original sound] MEAN something, their names in english is merely a translation.

Like, let's say, Breakdown, his name probably meant something like "Unstabble" [or something like that] in the original Cybertronian way, he just translated to english.

Kinda like "Mathew" means "gift from God" in its original language [hebraic, I think].

The other names [like Megatron, Optimus, Unicron] are likely just the Earthly form of their original names [similar to why Bumblebee is named "BAMBURU" in japanese to fit with the way Japanese is spoken]

9. Buster_Witwicky

Buster_Witwicky ALL HAIL KORROK

I always thought other than names like Optimus Prime they were codenames, IE Solid Snake or Raiden.

10. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Don't look too much into it. All of the Autobots and Decepticons immediately start speaking English the second they arrive on Earth in most of the continuities, with Bayformers the only one giving an explanation.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I liken it to giving yourself a username on a messageboard. Optimus is probably named Kevin in real life. There are instances where TF are given names, sometimes even before they come online, but there's nothing to stop them changing names later.

12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I like to think Banzai-tron was a nick name given him by Jazz that stuck. At one point I felt Energon Divebomb should have been called Banzai-tron as I felt his appearance was very similar to him, to me at least. My sense of irony liked the fact that this would be another TF called Divebomb that had a name change forced upon him.

Given that they share a mold, I'd like to think pre-Beast Rattrap was called Ransack.

Same for Wingstun and Waspinator who both share a mold, a similar colour scheme and both served BW Megatron.

I doubt that the likes of Cheetor and Tigatron were so named on Cybertron.

I did like Swindle naming Hot Rod Rodimus in Ongoing.

13. Driftx3

Driftx3 lord of all things robot

I always figured that most TF's are named with call-sign names, similar to internet aliases. Some appear to clearly be nicknames (Rattletrap, Pyro, Thundercracker ect).

Though it does seem as though Vector Sigma has something to do with deciding names as TF's re-formatted or constructed by it seem to have names immediately.

14. Driftx3

Lol! I like this. Optimus Prime does sound more like a noble leader than Kevin Jones. Just like Megatron sounds more ominous than Steve Anderson.

Starscream: I should be leader! Not that fool Steven Anderson!

Megatron: It is you who is the fool Eugene!

Starscream: >pouts<

15. Driftx3

It is explained that TF's use auto-communication software. In fact a prominent example is Cliffjumper in Spotlight:Cliffjumper. This makes a wealth of sense as there actually exists auto-translation algorithmic translation software.

Plus is should be noted that in a "TF First Person View" there is always Cybertronian glyphs in the corners of their views, presumably some sort of "read out" like Terminators use.

So a TF would only need to listen to a an unknown language for a short time before it could translate and speak it fluently. Seeings how it is a nearly automatic process, I don't think they actually learn per-sey. I don't think they would actually "think" in a foreign language, their internal dialogues are most likely in Cybertronian.

16. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

The way they receive their names probably depends on how they perform in battle, or perhaps their names are chosen at creation like humans. Their names on Cybertron may be based on old, dead languages, too, from the ages of the Covenant of Primus. When they come to Earth, if their Cybertronian name suits them, they probably change it to the closest Earth equivalent. If it doesn't, they just pick a different name. Some names might not even change at all. I like to think Megatron is a Cybertronian name.

17. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

I've been wondering myself, why there are most Transformers that have generic names, but there seems to be a lot of different Primes throughout the years. Optimus was originally know as Orion Pax, right? When did he change his name? Megatron, could he have been some sort of Prime, but because he chose exile, he was stripped of the title? I'm just curious. What are some of the mythos concerning linage in the Transformers universe?

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I always thought that their names are just what we humans read them as. Their language is not english.