Think superGeek

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Autobus Prime, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

Inspired by TrueNomadSkies, this is the thread where we ask and answer assorted questions with the intent of applying a higher than usual level of geek.

So, my DSL doesn't work well in hot weather. The wiring in the house is fine, cat 5 in a star topology going back to a 110 block ten feet from the service entrance, with a single filter separating the jumper to a 66 block which all the voice lines tie up to. I got a little silly when I was pulling new electrical wires, the telephone stuff is fun to play with, and you never know if you might want a housewide LAN, right? :D  Of course I'm only using one of the lines I put in, and it's connected to a wireless router... :( 

Anyway,the DSL is droppy and draggy, especially on hot summer days. If I pick up the phone, and leave it off the hook, it works much better. I've also got static on the voice lines.

I've concluded that there is a high-frequency fault somewhere on Verizon's olde tyme wyres in this neighborhood, which isn't conducting the HF DSL signal well. Picking up the phone is putting a sealing current through the fault, letting it conduct better.

The question is, how in the Bell do I convince Verizon to send out a tech, and fix their stuff already, instead of telling me silly things about my DSL modem and filters which I've already ruled out?

Perhaps someone knows a magic word to summon Verizon engineer...

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Have you tried expressing yourself tactfully via e-mail?

3. 3.8TransAM

3.8TransAM 1989 Turbo Trans AM

Had something similar happen to me with DSL when I was in FL.

Actually had a switch in the their box go/going bad. Would work like a dog on my end and show ok on their end. Once they verified mine and then went to the their box they found it. Basically switch for getting me DSL in providers box had higher resistance than spec

Might not help at all.

Ask for the next level, if they refuse hang up and ask the next person the same thing. When put on hold, cuss, your call will go thru faster(this tip works for lots of places). They give angry people the head of the line.

4. Autobus Prime

Autobus Prime Transit Former

TA:

Well, the trouble with calling is that it takes the phone off the hook, making the problem go away. :D  It's completely repeatable like that.

E-mail is probably a better idea, though my day job has led me to see e-mail as a place where communications go to die. It has also trained me to see tech support as a thing you call as a sort of ritual before finding / constructing your own workaround, which is probably why I keep slopping along with the workaround in this case. Habits, you know. :D