Think a Beast Wars/Dinobot movie would work for a live action?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funnymerc, May 11, 2011.

1. Funnymerc

Funnymerc Well-Known Member

I've been wondering whether or not it would, or would just look terrible as a live action.
    And I didnt know whether to post it in here or the movie discussion...sorry

2. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think it would LOOK fine, it's just logistically, I don't think it will work. The best explanation for modern-day Dinobots was the Animated version and I don't think a movie about theme park dinosaurs that come to life is going to attract many adult viewers. Conversely, IDW's explanation of why they have dino alt. modes made sense, but now that they've been on Earth for years, again logistically, since they are supposed to be hiding, there's not a lot of reason to have big metal dinosaur alt. modes. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Dinobots, but I just don't think it would work as a movie. Beast Wars has a better shot, but again, I'm not so sure.

3. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

^ I think the OP is referring to the character of Dinobot from Beast Wars, rather than the Dinobots from G1.

4. Funnymerc

No sorry I meant the Dinobots regardless of which series they came from.
    Me personally I would have to have it as an animated film, cant imagine what a live action film would be like with giant metal dinosaurs or animals running about. Be amusing though IMO

5. Jochimus

Jochimus Well-Known Member

I'd say BW would probably have a better shot.

But as for the whole 'dinosaur modes not really working in modern times' thing...heck, the solution to me would be obvious: have them transform from vehicle modes directly into dinosaur modes and bypass 'standard' robot modes altogether - OR at least give them robot modes that are more dinosaur-like than robot-like. Besides the fact that many of the existing live-action movie TFs already have haunches, claws, sharp teeth and whatall, the 'beast' TFs in the existing movies tend to be portrayed favoring a beast mode anyway, whether by design or by preference.

6. Auto Morph

Auto Morph Gimmick Bot

My bad. :eek: 

I'm such a huge BW fan I always assume it's that one rather than G1 when the singular term is used!

7. Sky-Byte

Sky-Byte Armada Fan

It would probably be like Bayformers, with lots of humans, only set in the jungle or the wild. Think something akin to Jurassic Park, or Congo. It would be just too expensive to have a movie full of realistic CG Transformer beasts, set in the prehistoric era.

8. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Maybe along the lines of Predator; a group of humans stumbling across a raging Beast Wars in the remote wild? :p 

9. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    No.

Oh it could be done, the question is why bother?

The reason Dinobot (Singular, BW Character) was so popular is because of his character growth over two television seasons that paid off in a way that doesn't often happen in kids shows.

The reason the Dinobots (plural, G1 group) was so popular (aside the obvious, dinosaurs + Robots + Transforming gimmick = Teh Awesomes!) was because of how different they interacted with the rest of the series characters. Without that other cast they're just a bunch of jerks who look cool.

In 120 minutes you can't tell either story without sucking, big time. That's without all the issues that come with trying to make a motion picture and all the changes that endeavor will incur.

10. Goldlock

Goldlock and don't call me Shirley

News Credits:
    Of course it would be pointless, but it would still be possible. And don't forget Hollywood love pointless! ;) 

11. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

If it was Michael Bay making the movie in the same style that he's made the other Transformers movies, I'd want no part in it. But if done properly, I think a Beast Wars movie could work.

12. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I dont care if Bay makes, I'll see a Beast Wars movie without any thoughts at all. I'd give anything to see the characters I grew up with on the big screen.

13. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I can only see it being a massive disappointment.

14. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Agreed, it could suck and I could hate it, but I would go see it.

I think BW designs rendered realistically would be pretty damn cool. Plus the characters are just naturally fun to watch.

Question is, woukd it have it's own plot, or just be an abridged version of the show? Would it be set in modern times or prehistory?

15. Jetbolt

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I think a future Earth would work better. Could have Megatron scan a clone Trex from a dino park. Plus it could make it possible for Silverbolt and Quickstrike as animal hybrids could be a pet trend.

I think a BW movie would need a new plot. If its set in the Bay universe, maybe have something that ties in with the current movies. Perhaps a lost super weapon that was left behind and the Predacons finds it.

16. Funnymerc

I was thinking perhaps in the wilderness of Africa millions of years ago, the Maximals and the Predacons are in stasis, then in the present day some hunters accidentally awaken the Predacons whilst Cheetor who arrives on the planet later activates the Maximals and a big fight happens in some village. I dunno

17. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    Nah, just for the fact that many moviegoers, want some type of reality. Animals into robots would not fly...I don't think studios would take that big of a risk....

18. Jetbolt

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    Nothing about Transformers could fit into reality. When was the last time you saw a F 22 attacking a semi truck on the interstate and both turn into robots? I fail to see how robotic aliens taking up beast modes wouldnt bring the same results as robotic aliens taking up vehicle modes.

The movie folks will just see Transformers and see $$$$. Heck throw in Bumblebee as a Maximal and the kids would want the gear.

19. exclusacon

exclusacon Expert with the Scopes!

News Credits:
    I think you missed the point, I said some reality....meaning people would accept a car turning into a robot, becuz a car basically a robot....but a Dinosaur or a rat that in a wheelchair (O_0) turning into a robot, the average moviegoers would say WTF!
    Now I'm not hating on BW, just saying....

20. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I don't think enough of the general public will be accepting of robots turning into animals. When people think Transformers, they think robots into vehicles. The most you can hope is one of the movie characters that turns into an animal form (metal) like Ravage & Scorponok in the Bay movies.

If there is going to be new BW, it will probably have to be direct to video.