Customs: Things you find frustating about kitbashing

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by funkatron101, Aug 6, 2007.

1. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Obviously I think most people have issues with pins, but what other problems do you face?

I bought two different kinds of yellow testors paint and I'm having a hell of a time getting a nice even coat with either one of them. It just seems like some colors just don't want to cooperate with me.

2. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That I'm awful at it. And I think I could be better at some elements (mostly the actual execution of certain techniques, but never anything artistic) with practice, but I simply don't have the time right now.

3. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I have the attention span of a flea so I never finish anything, which is pretty annoying.

4. funkatron101

Ebay:
    My classics Megatron has been legless for 6 months.

5. WhiteMocha

WhiteMocha TFW2005 Supporter

Painting. I hate painting.... and all the masking/mess/chipping/disassembling that comes with it. My dislike for it has made me decide to stop larger-scale kitbashing. Any mods I do from this point on will be as minor as possible.

I also don't much like using the Dremel tool.... it's too easy to over-cut or mis-cut, and I'm always nervous it's gonna slip and lop off my finertip.

Yeah, clearly I'm not a born kitbasher....., :p 

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Taking them apart (especially removing pins). This is why I'm going to try and find ways to dye the main color of any future kitbashes that I do.

7. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Aside from the following, I've NEVER in my life been happier with being into TFs as a hobby:

• Time management. My struggle is always the prioritizing. I spend my time in very valuable ways mostly. I just struggle sometimes with spending my time doing X when Y needs more attention.
    • (currently) taking SLICK photos of my work (and how the above interacts with this because I'm VERY picky with the presentation of my work)
    • Lack of traffic on a thread after I've done the work (and went through the above frustrations to post)
    • Amount of time necessary to create (which is why I'm not taking commissions)
    • Not being able to take commissions and at least break even
    • Too many ideas/too much work I want to do
    • Lack of a local community (at least 2 friends or so) that want to hang out in "real" life [Note: one of the board members here and I have been hanging out some, but he's in the service and doesn't get to post much; cool guy btw :D  Ironically we talk more on AIM, our cells, and in person than on the board :lol ]
    • Lack of being able to go to Botcon to view others' work [that last prepositional statement is key, btw]
    • Good intentions/being taken in ways not intended (but that's less of a customs issue and more of a board issue; still frustrating though)
    • Being frustrated.

8. freezowave

freezowave Well-Known Member

I feel you on the yellow paint. I finished a Bumblebee Alt custom a few weeks ago, and yellow paint takes a ton of coats to get good, smooth coverage. My experiences with red aren't much better.

9. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    Waiting for inspiration to strike. That's my frustration. I had an alt Jazz for like 6 months with plans to turn him into Breakdown before I got a clear vision of what I wanted to do. It was a long wait. Same with my Revoltech Soundwave. He's been half complete for 3 months while I waited to figure out what to do with his back. He's as close to a scratch-build as I've ever attempted.

I've tried forcing creativity in the past and made some shitty bots as a result. Now, I just wait till I'm inspired.

10. Ptitvite

Ptitvite Construction worker

I hate to see that I'm getting old when threads about kitbashed movie toys are more popular than the ones concerning G1 era... I hate the movie toys! 80's rock!!:rock 

Seriously, what I hate is when everythings done and paint chips when you transform it.
    I then feel like burning the house down!!!:dunce  ... Mental institute for me!!!

11. funkatron101

Ebay:
    What?

12. ShawnL7

ShawnL7 Old School Transfan

I'd have to second that.

13. TTT

TTT OutOfCommissionToys.com

News Credits:
    Time.
    I work full time, I'm dumb ass tired on my weekends to the point where I just wanna curl up on the couch & watch The Peoples Court on TV all friggen day....then I think....Oh yeah, chores,...pets(cats, fish, snakes) grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry, making dinner every night, then its back to work to do it all over again.

14. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

-Pins
    -the fact I can't scratchbuild
    -paint rubbing on joints (thank god ball joints are uncommon today)
    -not being able to paint when its super humid
    -ending up with a fragile piece

**drumroll please**

............and my favorite part, kitbashing a favorite character from a base who kinda looks like it but not quite, only to have Hasbro or FP come out with a real one later. Case in point: my Energon Thrust and Classics Sideswipe. :banghead: 

15. Samana Rombuca

Samana Rombuca Well-Known Member

Heh, yeah, same here. :) 

That and I'm clumsy/accident prone and impatient (>.<).

16. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I hate that I'm not good at it. Just like with piano.

17. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    - Well, I hate the obvious ones like paint rub and pins.

- Getting the motivation to finish what I start is annoying. I have about 7 different TFs in zip-loc bags in various states of progress (some just started, others 90% done).

- styrene is really weak.

- Needing small parts from another TF. i.e., Alternator hands- I don't want to buy a whole Alt just for it's hands, even though they would go great on what I'm working on. I also need two torso/legs from Classic Seekers, but that's pretty expensive now for just a few bits and pieces.

18. Hicks_Royel

Hicks_Royel Chicks dig the Mutt!

News Credits:
    Color matching... It drives me nuts to shoot three coats of paint on two different panels at the same time and get two different colors and textures from the same can.

That and windy days. Watching my can of paint fade away in a strong gust.

Lame primer kinda annoys me too, I use to get this really great ghetto primer from Wal-Mart automotive section at 97 cents a can, shot smooth and had good coverage in one to two coats; never had to sand it. Now that Wal-Mart's done away with their auto paints I've been using Rust-oleum and it tends to clump in finer details. I really miss my ghetto paint.

19. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Lack of motivation to pick back up once a project gets put on hold.

20. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    My biggest problem is actually getting off my ass and doing it. Just when I think I'm ready, I discover something neat about the base figure and want to keep it intact for just a bit longer.