Things to improve in a sequel - from a film making not TF perspective

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by unicronic, Jul 5, 2011.

1. unicronic

unicronic TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If a new movie is done, as seems likely, there are some things from the 3 existing movies that should be retained but also some areas that can be strengthened.

Action - In general over the 3 movies, the most effective action sequences were the shorter ones imo. Longer sequences seemed to lose their awe factor quickly. Perhaps this is a lesson that more frequent smaller doses of action would work better than a few prolonged sequences. Example: Arrival of the Autobots, Blackout Arrival, ROTF Forest Fight, Prime vs Megs/Fallen etc as a counter to the long city battles in TF1 and TF3.

Tighter storylines/plot and editing - DOTM was good but did suffer from some sloppy editing and very loose storytelling and plot sequences. I won't go into detail but they are there. A more focused story and tighter plot will lead to everything else benefiting from a strong foundation.

Villainy and Heroism - One of TF1, TF2, TF3's major flaws was the poor building of villains. If one side falls down, the other side become harder to subscribe to. One of the better villainous moments was Sam being chased and ultimately seconds away from a brain extraction in ROTF. You could subscribe to some pure villainy and the subsequent heroic rescue but this is few and far between. Without getting too drenched in TF itself, if a villain is built up to have a clear motivation and is also manages to repel attempts to be defeated prior to a conclusion, a greater sense of satisfaction is present.

Characterization - More screen time for less characters provides a greater opportunity to create empathy and loathing respectively for heroes and villains. Citing an example that Q was in DOTM so little that his execution was of little impact however in TF1 Jazz had been given a better build up hence his death had some more impact to it. More than just life and death though introducing too many characters too fast in any movie simply burns out the audience and dilutes their attention and interest. On the whole there was a lack of character building in the TF trilogy. Again I'm not going to go to deep into this area, the flaws are there.

Now to conclude I enjoyed the existing TF trilogy, they all had breathtaking moments and an equal amount of head shaking to match. Again I ask without getting hung up too much on TF what fundamentals can be improved upon for the benefit for the franchise in future movies?