Things that make you go WTF?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kasper0v, Aug 6, 2007.

1. kasper0v

kasper0v Well-Known Member

Well, Hasbro sure knows how to strike while the iron is hot, eh? All I can think about is how badly they effed up the merchandising initiative regarding the movie-related products. Here are three of the more egregious examples:

1. Concept BB toy still not available (more than 1 mo since movie release)
    How many parents were dragged (straight from the theater) to the nearest TRU to find the updated, cooler toy version of BumbleBee from the movie. You know, the TF with the most screen time? Apparently, this toy kicks ass...sadly, nobody can find him. If and when this baby does show up, most of the interest for all things transformers will have dried up.

2. Voice-changing helmet not Cullen's voice.
    yes, I know there is a version with the "real" movie voice, but good luck finding them as they seem to be vastly outnumbered by the shit version. Why on earth would you have multiple versions, anyway? It's not like the regular consumer knows to look for the subtle package variation.

3. garbage toys taking up valuable shelf space.
    Like that $70 "computer" that is currently warming shelf space. What is that thing, anyway? Or that caribeaner set (?!), or the garbage "tech" line currently rolling out. WTF, Hasbro?

D-

2. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Stil no 08 Bumeblebee,Seeing protoform Starscreams on shelves when Prototform Optimus's isn't.

3. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I saw a "fake" voice and a "real" voice helmet the other day. The packaging was different, but they were the same Cullen voice. Even my dad said they were.

4. Greenshadow0

Greenshadow0 Well-Known Member

Yes, all the shelfwarmers and lack of better toys.

5. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Magnus and Galvatron repaints from optimus and megatron.

6. Spartan Prime

Spartan Prime is an apathetic douchebag

There's a reason for that.

7. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

i grabbed my 08 bb before they stocker even got him to the peg. same with arcee.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

That I still love Transformers.

Also, that fans are still suprised and / or irritated about any given corporate policy.

9. killahbuny

killahbuny Well-Known Member

i go wtf at hasbro uks inability to pull there fingers out and get entire lines out rather than half a wave here and half a wave there; and the fact that everyone hated energon op when he came out but now i want one off ebay they all cost rrp or more!!

10. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd chalk up the concept Bumblebee fiasco as things not working out how they planned (a lot of the blame can be placed on the retailers who ordered the figures from Hasbro for their chains; they don't know (or care) what is in a given wave and likely expected all this stuff to just stagnate on shelves like most other movie merchandise does ... massive floods in China doesn't help matters either).
    Voice changing helmet I really don't care about, so no comments there.
    Tech toys; yeah, they suck but they're not whats preventing us from getting deluxes or whatever; demand exceeding supply, demand greatly exceeding the expected demand, supply chain being halted by natural disasters, etc.
    Once things get back on track, Hasbro is likely going to make up for this as best they can (yeah, waiting till October or whatever for CC Bumblebee sucks, but at least there will be another chance to find him). All the Tech toys and arm-blasters and shit didn't have any real bearing on how many main line figures were produced; if they didn't exist we'd still be in the same boat.

11. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Can you explain to me HOW you don't see Concept Bumblebee in the US, but I bought one in Chile?

It's the third time this happens to me. I found in Chile toys that were really looked for in some parts of the US!

12. butz

butz slippery when wet

Retailers ordering up craploads of wave1 in the US because they didn't give a fuck. Perhaps Chilean stores were warmer to the idea of getting a variety, and ordered more later wave stuff? I don't know on that one.

edit: its also possible they waited to (or simply weren't able to) order till later on, when those later waves were available.

13. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Yes, damn you Hasbro for war, famine, global warming, and not releasing a $10 toy the exact moment I want it!

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Burn in Hell hasbro!!!!

15. edicius

edicius I need a drink.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've never quite understood how that happens either. And I remember asking a Hasbro rep about that at Botcon (mentioned Energon Ultra Magnus as an example - minimal in the US, plentiful in the UK), but damned if I can remember what he said.

I don't even see the older BB out there anymore, so it's not like the retailers are thinking, "Don't stock that one out there, we have enough 'Bumblebees' out there already."

16. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Well, I bought Alt Mirage (and saw Camshaft) when they were really scarce in the US.

Then, Tit G1 Magnus.

Now, Concep Bbee.

I just read that the toys that were imported from Hasbro to Chile are already siold out, even the ones that were supposed to be sold in Xmas.

Does Hasbro keep a limited amount to the US and send the rest abroad? It's the only thing that comes to my mind.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

You forgot, they also have ESP!

Seriously though, I think this is the big thing here (least for the US):

(sorry to quote myself, but thought it needed stated again for good measure).

Edit:
    *shrugs* its possible ... I'm just grasping at straws on that situation.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I was lucky when I found my CC BB two days after the movie came out, there were at least ten-fifteen BBs, plus some Arcees and five-ten of everything else. I couldn't afford Arcee at that moment so I picked up BB, he wouldn't scan so I had the cashier scan Scorponok. Next day, I go back....

NOTHING! No Transformers products whatsoever. I asked the toy worker if they got pulled, he said, quote: "It was crazy all these kids and people wanted everything Transformers, but we didn't have a lot." When I asked if there were any left he said: "A couple" they were off the endcap though. It was Arcee and two Swindles. I snagged Arcee.

Total WTF. Now, the distribution here forces you to go everyday lest you miss out. It's crazy.

Who knew anything could be so popular? Not even the Craptastic four or Spiderman sold that fast.

19. butz

butz slippery when wet

I was under the impression those barely sold at all.

20. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

QFT. BTW, if the shelfwarmer TF Computer ever gets a decent sale, I may pick one up. I'd love to hack the thing to see if I could get it online (or do other things) and it might make a good Teletraan prop. :D 

Anyway, if you don't like all the non-Transformers extras, this is one year no one will fault you for not buying. Even the younger kids don't seem to want the transforming devices that do not have a robot mode. Many things are gathering dust, but Leader Megs and Optimus are now nowhere to be found. So I'm not worried about the Transformers as a whole.