Things that have been written out of the IDW GI continuity

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SharkyMcShark, Jun 5, 2010.

1. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    I'm trying to make a list of things that have been dropped entirely, either through being explicitly said to have been written out, or though consistent non use and ignorance.

Ore 13 - was said to be gone at around the start of AHM by Mcarthy or someone else (as a part of the soft reboot).

Jimmy Pink - not mentioned at all in the Continuum book, not or mentioned since the one panel he was in at the end of Maximum Dinobots

The Machination - now every human organisation that has some kind of dealing with the Transformers is being called Skywatch.

Holomatter Avatars - last seen during Devastation, completely unused since then (correct me if I'm wrong).

That whole Avengers... thing - although the less we say about that the better.

Anything else?

2. Sideswipe1954

Sideswipe1954 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I thought the Avengers thing was just a one shot mini-series, not tied into either Marvel or IDW continuities?

3. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    Spotlight Ramjet was written seemingly following on from the Avengers crossover, and Ramjet's characterisation in the Ironhide mini is also consistent with that.

Although I'm sure the actual crossover exists in the same limbo as every other multi-company crossover.

4. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I'm fairly sure the official line on the Avenger thing is that it was part of the main IDW continuity.

Even though the seekers were F15s (well to be fair only in half the panels, although that raises even more issues). And it was never mentioned again.

Which is to say that it's fairly easy to pretend it never happened but officially it's meant to be part of the timeline.

5. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    I think The Machination were absorbed by Skywatch. Not sure, though.

6. Infosaur

Infosaur Well-Known Member

Weren't the Machination run by Scorpinock?
    I'd assume that most of them were killed by Grimlock and the rest were shut down when Scorpinock got taken out.

And if there were any more Sunstreaker-clones (Diacrons?) around out there and the Post-AHM-Military found them they'd probably be buried in some deep dark Area-51 type place for deprograming, if not mercy killing.

Actually a decent writer might just like to tackle the tale of someone recovering from that level of "perversion". I could even see an IDW version of Circuit Breaker here.

But there isn't enough time to tell that story I suppose.

7. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    The Machination was merely a front for Scorpinok's operation.

8. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    It's not gone, it's just not something any of the writers since Furman have touched. They've all run with their own plot ideas.

Verity has a picture of her, Hunter and Jimmy in issue 2 of "'Wreckers", so he's at least been mentioned since Maximum Dinobots. Jimmy's still out there, we just don't know what he's up to.

Wasn't the Machination pretty much destroyed following Maximum Dinobots?

Haven't seen them since, as far as I know. Most of the disguised Transformers during Costa's run are driven by actual humans, unaware that their car is a Transformers.

9. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

This is why I stopped reading IDW's books. Just too confusing.

10. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Autobot perfection of Pretender technology: Pretender tech was established during Furman's run as this very powerful, but extremely dangerous experimental technology. As a requirement for the ULTRA FAST AND CONDENSED wrapping up of his plotline, Furman had to have the Autobots perfect the technology (somehow). It was only used once more to fix Kup, and has never been mentioned again.

One would assume the four Pretenders they managed to make would have been more than enough to handle the Decepticons as part of AHM's off-page "Autobot massacre" (the great battle that you don't see that somehow left the 1984-1986 characters surviving).

The Magnificence: We may never know what this macguffin was originally supposed to be used for, but in Revelation, it was used to info-dump Nova Prime's plans (because Furman didn't have enough pages left to have the plot unfold naturally). One would assume that, following this usage, the Magnificence would be a huge advantage to the Autobots.

Wheelie: We don't know if he was ever rescued, and if anything ever came out of that temple with the glowing Quintesson mural.

11. Cyclonus86

Cyclonus86 Wrecker - Wreck 'N' Rule

News Credits:
    Well if i remember correctly Furman wanted the to have a negative effect on the user of the The Magnificence. Kinda like a monkey paw, there's always a penalty for using it .But due to his the reduced time, Furman had it simplified to the beating Hot Rod took in maximum Dinobot.

Disappointed that Idw abandon ore-13 , since it was kinda reason why everybody was flocking to earth. It made sense why earth was the center of a space war.

12. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Doesn't make them retroactively not having existed, though...

13. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    They haven't been retconned out of existence.

14. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I would've loved, LOVED to see this plot line followed up on. Also, I thought the wheelie spotlight was quite well written. One of Furman's best in the IDW run.

15. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Maybe that can explain why Hot Rodimus acts like such a tool in Costa's ongoing series.

As far as the Wheelie plotline goes, there's nothing stopping them from going back to it in the future. It's just on hiatus for now.

16. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    And the same thing is true of Jimmy's current status, or the Ore-13, or the Machination. They're all still there if Costa or anyone else wants to revisit them.

17. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    I'm fairly sure it was specifically said to be gone (as opposed to it just falling out of use).

To be fair this was mainly from Continuum (where he doesn't appear) - although how much of a representation of the ongoing continuity that is is debatable.

Essentially yes, but any reference made to Transformer dealings with humans in the past (eg the Sunstreaker headmaster affair) has been said to have been perpetuated by Skywatch.

18. SharkyMcShark

News Credits:
    They have. Whenever the experiments done on Sunstreaker and the like have been mentioned it was all put down the Skywatch,

19. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Can you give me the source for that? I'm sure it's not in any of the published material that I've read. Was it a comment by one of the editors or writers since Furman? I'm not saying it's not the case, but I've never heard that. I have read comments by McCarthy to the effect that he only picked up things from Furman's stories that were relevant to the story he wanted to tell.

That doesn't reference Ore-13 specifically, but continuity in general, so I think the Ore-13 storyline could be included.

Continuum was a mess. It contradicts everything else that IDW has published on so many points that it's just about useless as a source of information. I hate to say that, but it's true.

Again, only in Continuum. When in doubt, ignore that book and refer back to the actual stories.

20. DarthCrusher

DarthCrusher Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    IDW themselves have more or less said to ignore Continuum in favor of the actual stories, right? I mean, Andy Schmidt even apologized for it.