Things That Don't Do What They Should

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, Jun 29, 2010.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    So my son called me at work today and asked me if he could play with my Animated Transformers. I told him yeah, as long as he doesn't smash them all into each other. So I'm sitting down tonight and I start to transform some of them. I get to Blitzwing, and that little gear on the back of his helmet that changes his faces. It's tight and I can't turn it if my life depended on it. Made me start to wonder how many toys over the years that have things that are supposed to do a task, but don't. Anyone in particular come to mind.

2. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Beast Wars Snarl.

I treasure the hell out of that little figure and it's one of the few BW figures I've got left from my childhood that I haven't lost the accessories for down the years, but dear god in heaven the using the tail to make the alt mode lunge was always useless from the moment I opened it to this very day. At best it would get like maybe a centimetre and a half along the length of the barrel when you launched it.

That said inserting the gun in it's position in robot mode always makes me laugh, but I'm immature like that.

3. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

RoTF Cannon Bumblebee

It's a pain when transforming him into robot mode and the front part of the car won't budge at all and flip over to form his chest. When I do figure out how to do it I completely forget how to do it the next time I'm transforming him. I'm gonna end up breaking him like that sooner or later :lol  good thing got a backup figure for free.

4. red4

red4 Banned

Generations Drift. He fails to exist in my collection. It's really annoying.

5. Omega Jolt

Omega Jolt Hunter

Not sure if it counts but on RotF Sideway's package is says it has a push gear to rotate the saw blade on its arm, yet no such mechanism exists. If I'm not mistaken it's also on the back of the HftD 4 pack with the Sideways repaint and the three bike sisters.

6. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Yeah there was a lot of that in the RotF line (Voyager Starscream is said to have pop out rocket launchers, LEader Prime is said to have articulated fingers).

It's because they were hit with budget constraints between the prototype/mockup phase and the production phase.

7. prime13

prime13 UCHUU KITAAAA

News Credits:
    I remember on the back of 07 Ratchets box, It said he had a hidden gun in his left(?) arm. All I found was a crappy axe in his right.

8. CURAMEN

CURAMEN LOS ANGELES COLLECTIVE

News Credits:
    This kinda could fall in this category...

ROTF Jetfire having only 1 light in the chest when it seems that it should have 2.

First time I bought it and opened it when I got home, I thought it was defective and planned on returning it for an exchange.

Then I found out... No, it only has 1 light.

9. NCStarscream

NCStarscream Me Grimlock cute

News Credits:
    Along the packaging description error lines, I was disappointed ROTF Voyager Starscream's guns didn't pop out of his forearms like the box said.

Regarding broken features of the toys themselves, ROTF Jetfire's straps should store better and should be a hair longer - I've never been able to get them to fit Prime quite right when combining them.

10. red4

red4 Banned

Could be my fault, could be quality control:
    1. Classics Dinobot - his tail won't close properly
    2. TF1 Wreckage - one of his shoulders is way too loose
    3. Animated Blur - the clip in one his shoulders is worn, so it doesn't clip into his chest as tightly as the other.
    4. TF1 Leader Megatron - the clip on his chest won't stay in place when I transform him into jet mode.

11. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Armada Optimus Prime- i bought him and even after putting fresh batteries in him, the automatic trailer transformation gimmick didn't work.

after some time trying to get it to work, i out him in bot mode and left him alone.

'07 movie Blackout- Automorph=Fail. period.

12. rainningstorm

rainningstorm cheapskate@Cantonment

I cant get out the shurikens out of animated prowl's knees without lots of force, I keep them in constantly after that.

13. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Mostly Harmless

News Credits:
    Yeah, Blitzy's face-changing gear sometimes does that. I end up changing the faces manually (from the front). Also, it only likes spinning in one direction (can't remember which now). And yet I still like him.

14. ectoneon

ectoneon Well-Known Member

I ran into that-pretty annoying. You have to make sure the corners on the bottom of the windshield get around the door hinges before flipping the chest down. I cringe every time-hasn't broken yet, but It's a good thing I have like five bumblebee's already. For me I would have to say the earlier movie Ironhide releases. After a while the roof-windshield assembly just won't stay connected to the robot. That little tab just don't cut it. Glad the changed up the connector joint for recon Ironhide.And of course-who can forget deluxe Barricades punching gimmick? You breath wrong and that thing springs out.

15. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    Universe Hound's shoulder cannon. Which doesn't want to stay on his shoulder.

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    That automorph on that mold is the worst automorph from the line. Doesn't work on Blackout or Evac. I actually had to take my blackout apart because, the gears jammed and messed the alignment up.

17. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

Classics Dinobot's shoulders and "neck pieces" that clip into them. It simply does not peg into the shoulders.

18. eagc7

eagc7 TF Movieverse fan

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    Human Alliance Bumblebee. Looks horrible, transforms horrible, worst way to start this line, Looks Liek a kibbleformer,

19. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan OFFICIAL MMM REP

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Fixed.

20. einis

einis Want some candy?

News Credits:
    THIS