Things in Movies or TV Shows That Leave You Annoyed

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Nachtsider, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I'll start. This is by no means a comprehensive list; just what immediately came to mind.

When a character who features prominently during an episode disappears from the episode for no reason. For instance: in the TFA episode 'Thrill of the Hunt', Prowl, Bumblebee and Bulkhead are abruptly not seen or heard from ever again after they tangle with and get beaten by Lockdown. Only Optimus and Ratchet are seen back at the base at the episode's end.

Rivalry between cops and federal agents. That shit is old, man.

When every gun has over 9000 bullets. It isn't all too difficult to show reloading being performed.

When a family's two children consist of a son who is a delinquent and a slacker, and a daughter who is smart and talented. Sexism works both ways.

Kid characters who do not take their parents' or guardians' advice, wander off and get themselves into trouble. Carl from The Walking Dead... I hope the zombies take you next.

Gratuitous nudity/sex scenes. You know, the ones that serve no purpose whatsoever and do not advance the plot in any way.

When time travellers or interdimensional travellers are disbelieved and/or get institutionalized by people who think they're wacko. To be honest, this one doesn't annoy me as much as it upsets me. My heart really bleeds for characters like this: stranded in an unknown world and disregarded by everyone they meet.

2. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

The beach episode.

3. megapork

megapork Cheese

Over use of Explosions or Micheal Bay Effect.

Hmmm. Sexual innuendo or hot girl in skimpy clothes Just to entice the libidos of teenage boys or Micheal Bay Effect.

Characters getting shafted/killed for shock value.

Under Characterization.

4. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Race-Diversity for the sake of appealing to said race.

5. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    When common sense flies out the window.

6. SAF7

SAF7 LOVE this game!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Musical episodes in a usually non-musical show. It is VERY rare that I like a musical episode, Mayhem of the Music Meister being one of those exceptions.

7. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Cliffhangers that make no sense and are there mostly to troll the viewers.

8. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    - Romantic subplots that come to dominate the focus of a show, especially in procedurals. I don't care when/if/how/where/why the main characters are going to hook up, I just want to see them solve the case, diagnose the illness or whatever. I used to like both House and Bones, for example, but had to quit watching them when the various romantic subplots took over the focus of the show(s).

- Science fiction writers messing up basic terminology. Eg - There is only one "Solar system" - the planetary system consisting of the planets, including Earth, orbiting the star Sol. For instance, Wheeljack can't chase Dreadwing across 12 Solar systems without crossing into alternate realities.

- Musical episodes in a non-musical show.

- Season-ending cliffhangers. Nothing wrong with leaving a few plot threads hanging to pick up if the show gets renewed, but writers shouldn't assume that their show is going to actually be back.

I don't mind that so much if the kid learns from it and it doesn't happen again and/or their character develops. Can't comment on the Carl example, as I'm a season behind on Walking Dead, but Miko from TF Prime would be an example of when it bugs me. She repeatedly runs off into battles against orders/advice, never learns her lesson and, even worse, the other characters never do anything about it.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  9. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    So much this. ST: TNG Best of both worlds I am looking at you.

10. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    - When a plot summery sounds like a page of TV Tropes (The President's Daughter is Stuck in a Prison... in SPACE, and only a Loose Cannon Ex-Cop can save her Before Time Runs Out)

- Too many pop-culture references. Especially when they're clearly targeting a specific subculture (i.e. 80s, "geek", etc.)

- Reverting to the status quo

- When a show starts off with a strong, unique plot only to devolve into generic, mainstream garbage

- That one awesome-looking secondary character that looks like he should be doing something amazing and has many obvious opportunities to do so but doesn't for some reason (namely because a more primary character goes ahead and does it instead)

- Executive meddlings. example: making Courage the Cowardly Dog talk. Talking isn't really the issue, it's that Courage spoke purely because execs wanted him to -- Courage would go do something for a blatantly obvious reason then tell the audience what he just did, which is utterly redundant.

11. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

While coworker hookups do happen, most of us date people outside of work/close circle of friends. Once you've hooked up two couples, it's time to consider writing in new characters. Frankly, I'm surprised that the duck and the monkey didn't end up together on Friends.

I can't watch CSI/NCIS without screaming at the television. (One of the guys at work was reviewing the security camera footage when he zoomed in at one point and started complaining that the focus button didn't work on the recorded footage. Sad thing is that he's an otherwise brilliant person. Now I find myself yelling at the commercials for those shows.)

Also, if you can perform that task from a bathtub sitting two feet away, you probably don't need that particular medication.

12. seekerblackout

seekerblackout Banned

Goody-Goody bullshit in TF cartoons. I really hope they don't take away Arcee's desire to avenge her best friends in Prime just because "it's not the right thing".

Also, Women always being right and Men always being wrong. Like Natch said, sexism works both ways.

Also, killing characters for the sake of body count. Breakdown in Prime had plot lines where he was important, plus it came outta nowhere. We get it, it's a war.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My suspension of disbelief is pretty good. I don't have any problem with blatantly over-the-top stunts or anything, as long as they fit with the ongoing action, and what's onscreen is stylized enough to sell it. I don't even bat an eye at ridiculous "comic book science". Yeah, yeah, radioactive spiders won't give you superpowers. On with the show.

The one thing I can't get past, though, is when the writing passes off a blatant falsehood as matter-of-fact truth.

For example, despite all the good reviews it got, I couldn't bring myself to even try to watch Limitless, because it's entire premise revolves around the "Human beings only use X% of their brain" myth.

It just perpetuates bad myths and bad science.

14. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I get annoyed when children swear in right in front of their parents in movies and the parents just disregard it. The way the parents just ignore it and don't even tell them to not do it again just seems a little unrealistic to me. If I swore in front of my parents I got grounded. The one time it didn't bother me was in Kick-ass because that was joke. I don't mind movies in which children swear when they're with their friends in movies because lots of kids do that.

15. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    - When a kid is a computer genius. Raf from Prime, the girl from Jurassic Park and I'm sure 100's of other movies and shows use this overdone character trait. It pisses me off to no end.

16. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:

All of these. I'll come back and write some more but since I cant do any thinking on my own right now...

17. Kujo1597

Kujo1597 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really really bad fake driving. Mad Love taught me this. They were on a highway and moving their hands back and forth like crazy. Now, I haven't been on too many highways in my life, and I've never been on an American one but I'm pretty sure they're usually much straighter than that.

18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I hate when a movie or TV show has a great premise and wastes it by being a bad movie. This annoyed me a lot in the movie "In Time."

19. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

The "Girls are better than boys" episode. Shows like X-Men Evolution and Camp Lazlo suffered from this.

20. megapork

megapork Cheese

Unfortuantely those kinds of parents do exist and are in significant number. Swearing is becoming less of a taboo nowadays with liberalism and freedom of speech being more ..... uh, widespread...