They're not dead! They're still out there!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Sep 18, 2009.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was watching Aliens again and the scene in the APC after the marines' ass whooping made me think about TFA.
    (the scene where the "lost" marines' bio readings are still going, but ripley knows they are toast...)

anyway, what's to say that TFA is dead? Classics/Universe puts out toys from other lines and older lines. so why not put in one or two TFA figures in the Universe line every now and then? I am talking about new molds, not repaints like Freeway Jazz that is coming out.
    They put Bumblebee in Universe.

and it makes sense. The show is gone, but there are characters that we saw and want. and luckily the number of those is rather small.

Look at Star Wars- characters that barely had any screen time in the Cantina Scene or Lucas' own daughter in Ep. II got a figure.

it is a stretch, i am sure, but it sounds like a way to both keep Animated alive without dedicating a whole line and valuable shelf space and make the fandom happy.

...no petitions from me, just hoping Hasbro would figure this out on their own.

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Personally it might work. Mattel did the same with the Justice League series, whose toyline continued long after the show's end due to fans requests. Eventually, fans got almost every character in the shows huge roster.

I'd say Animated is much like Justice League and if Hasbro was smart, they'd follow Mattel's or their own (with regards to Star Wars) steps well.

3. MidnightBliss

MidnightBliss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That is because George Lucas apparently needs more money. I also believe it is cheaper to tool a SW figure compared to a TF.

4. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    What's to say TFA is dead, you ask?

Hasbro. Hasbro says it's dead.

5. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed, as much as i love animated, any figure we haven't seen, we probably won't. There are a few that "could" (ie. Ramjet) just because they are repaints, but even then i doubt it

6. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Food Truck or BMW Moderator

News Credits:
    I think the comparison between TFA and Star Wars/JLU is more than a bit skewed. Star Wars collectors are crazy completists. DC fans are getting almost as rabid, and the JLU figures still being released are easy for Mattel to produce. If you think about it, the JLU figures are all repaints using maybe four or five types of base figures and interchangeable parts. The only real recasts are the new accessories they may come packed with.

Star Wars has been around for 30+ years, and with a hit show on Cartoon Network the toy machine won't be losing steam any time soon. As for JLU, seeing your favorite obscure character in the popular Bruce Timm style is a DC fan's wet dream. And they have a cast of literally HUNDREDS to choose from, so that's another easy sell.

TFA, on the other hand, caters to a VERY niche audience. Sure, the kids like it. But it's the hardcore collector fans that get a kick out of it, and let's face it... looking at the way the line performed on TV and on the shelves sends a signal that it wasn't that big of a hit. Don't get me wrong, I love the show and the toys, but it didn't make that much of a splash in the grand scheme of things and we're INCREDIBLY lucky that Hasbro's decided to release all this stuff that they've promised.

7. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Outside of G1, most TF toys don't have much staying power. Animated is gone, just like all the other toylines that disappear in the TF Galaxy (A/E/C, BW, etc.). Eventually Classics/Henkei and movie toys will disappear too. It's just the circle of life...er...toys.

In the end, Animated was just another perverbial blip on the TF radar. Time to move on.

8. brr-icy

brr-icy MP Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    classics/henkei i think have some staying power, movie and animated might, it's too early to tell yet

9. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure *somewhere* in the future we might get a couple of Animated toys, as part of a line similar to Universe. But I doubt it would be much..

10. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Animated was technically already in Universe. It was in the form of legends, but it was still in there. So looking at it that way, when universe/classics(Or whatever the hell they decide to name it.) returns, the idea of them throwing a deluxe or two of a Animated character in there wouldn't be completely out of the question.

At least in concept. I personally wouldn't bet money on it, but I'd like to think it could happen.

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    More likely we'll just have to hope Animated finally makes its way to Japan and something new toywise is created here and there to go along with it.

12. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

It's possible. I see them releasing TFA-based characters in the future Classics/Universe (4.0?) line similar to how they released new Dinobot, Cheetor and Armada Hot Shot toys. They'll be designed to mesh with that line, but it could likely happen with some characters. (Similar to how Lockdown will have a movie-designed toy to counter the new deluxe Movie Ratchet) Of course, these would be characters already released in the TFA line, just renewed.

As for whole new TFA characters not previously released? Whatever they're planning to release, that's likely it besides repaints.

13. Sioce

Sioce Radicon in training

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As long as Rodimus Minor gets released I'm happy. That will be the one and only TFA toy I own.

14. Ray Kremer

Ray Kremer Well-Known Member

Only guys left that I care about that aren't in the known upcoming batch are the three constructicons (combining or no) and Omega Supreme.

Well, and the humans, but fat chance of that. (Maybe just a "bot" mode season 3 Sari please?)

15. Dom

Dom TFA Supporter

News Credits:
    Yeah SW and TF are unfortunately. I would love to see some of the thinking that brought us the Falcon,AT-TE and Turbo Tank, you know those guys would have made an epic Omega Supreme.

As far as TFA being dead, I hold out some hope we will see Ramjet. Maybe if it gets a botcon set we may even get Autotrooper and some background characters.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm Good Morning, Weather Hackers! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't see much of anything coming beyond what we already know about either, though possibilities include:

a future Botcon set - that's the best chance to get some of the more obscure characers, especially ones which could be made thru repaint or remold

"Universe 3" - repaints, maybe remolds are a distinct possibility. New molds are really really unlikely, unless there's something the designers have been just itching to get made.

store-exclusive repaint - not likely at all, given most retailers' preference for movie stuff.

17. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    nuff said

18. kamuix

kamuix weeeeee

lol wel we can use your aliens analogy; while in the apc they are alive and there is a believable hope they can be saved, it can be considered the fans hoping that releases of tfa figures will come possibly in the universe line. but most people know, such as ripely that their dead, like the others here know that there's not much a possibility due to hasbro. think hasbro as the mother alien. would she spare the humans, nope. now will hasbro consider releasing tfa goodies. that's a bit hard to say.

19. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:
    I'd like to hold out hope that in Universe v3, we'll get an Voyager Omega Supreme and a Lugnut Supreme inspired repaint, but that would be it that I'd realilistically like and would expect.

20. Cyber-Kun

Cyber-Kun UNLEASHED!

News Credits:
    the only thing I could think of Animated being released in Universe line would be a Voyager Ramjet, since its a simple repaint.
    And I'd be ok with that.