They're like popcorn, but with little plastic monsters...

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by TranstechCat, Nov 20, 2010.

1. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

So I was at Toys'R'Us last week, and I thought I'd look at some of the other stuff on the isle besides Transformers.

I got to the Bakugan stuff, and this certain one caught my eye. Now before this point, I'd been pretty dismissive of Bakugan in general. It seemed to just be another "catch'em all!" type of fad that would die out in a year or two, tops.

Something about this particular figure called out to me though. For one, it was bright translucent red with bright yellow highlights (that shade of red happens to be my favorite color, especially when paired with yellow like that) and for another, it was clearly some kind of dragon. That made it twice as cool right off the bat.

It was just five bucks, and it came with a little translucent figure of some kind of mechanical-looking cyborg-ish dragon, so I caved and bought it.

After fiddling with it for a while, closing it and watching it pop open on various metal objects I happened to be near... I got hooked.

I've spent the time since then not only researching the show and game, but tracking down some other ones that looked potentially as cool as this "Pyrus Neo Dragonoid" (apparently that's what it's called. "Pyrus" being it's element, which is fire. And "Neo Dragonoid" being it's name).

So far, only one of it's "evolutions" has matched it in awesomeness (one called "Helix Dragonoid") and it took me a while (three Walmarts and two Targets) to track down a translucent Pyrus version (apparently the translucent versions aren't as readily available as the solid colored ones). But that's two that have stolen my attention for a few hours. There look to be a couple more that I'll probably end up tracking down ("Blitz Dragonoid" and maybe few more, if I can find translucent versions). I might even go wild and snag this large (extremely large) Dragon called (appropriately enough) "Dragonoid Colossus". (It's a red and yellow dragon, and looks freaking neat. Unfortunately it's not translucent though...)

Anyway, the point is that despite my initial judgment Bakugan (plural) are actually pretty neat little figures. (At least, the translucent red and yellow dragons are...) Even the ones that aren't my cup of tea are admittedly pretty neat.

Anyone else surprisingly captivated by these little things?

2. JetsAndHeels

JetsAndHeels Banned

The Bakugan figures have caught my attention a few times, but I have yet to buy one. They seem cool enough though that I may get one just to try it out.

I have seen the red and yellow one you are referring to. Looks nice.

3. TranstechCat

TranstechCat Cybernetic Chimpanzee

I say go for it. They're pretty cheap, and (IMO) are worth the price just in sheer novelty. I love watching them pop open again and again. :thumbs2: 

It's definitely my favorite. I've yet to find another one that's as cool. (Helix Dragonoid is a very close second, but it's still not quite as awesome as Neo Dragonoid...)

Blitz Dragonoid looks like it might beat out Helix Dragonoid for my number two spot, but I've yet to find one at all, let alone a Translucent version. I've looked around on the net, and I don't think there is a Translucent version of Blitz yet... (Or else they're extremely rare.)