They're coming out in swarms

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Prowl, Jun 5, 2007.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I went to Wal-Mart with the intention of buying one movie toy (until I got paid at least).

Ended up buying 5. And that's because I put back the TF:Heroes of HotRod and Shrapnel. They threw this crap at us all at once. I wanted everything! Torturous Bastards! God this summer's going to suck/rule!

Anyone else going in with the intention of spending a little and coming out with a mountain of new Transformers?

2. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

No. Please, do you yourself a favor and pace yourself. Don't get sucked into the hype! You'll only regret it in a few years!

I got burned buying a lot of Episode 1 merchandise when it came out, then the movie came out. I hated it and sold all the figures at a loss. I'm not saying the TF movie will suck, I just think if one buys too much, half will end up at a garage sale in a few years.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, I guess that's true. There are certain things that I bought regardless of the movie's quality. I really like Blackout and Barricade, and I want that Optimus mask because it's probably the only chance I'll get to have a head-piece of one of the Transformers. But I think this weekend I'm going out and spending my entertainment money before going to wal-mart :)  But I do need pacing, hehe

4. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

[​IMG]

Come on now..Doesn't that just look like fun..Go on, go out and buy--Let your inner child free!

5. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I did $1300 in 48 hours. Haven't found Leader Megs, the bikes, the Barricade bike helmet, or Monopoly yet.

I'm pacing myself working through it all, though... but want to have it all on hand so I can grab and open one whenever I feel like it.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You guys have my utter respect and envy today :D 

7. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I keep my inner child chained up in the basement. I find it helps stimulate creativity, and prevents me from spending like a madman. One large toy and two smaller ones a paycheck, tops for me. Forty-dollar rule, strictly enforced. Else I'd look like Backscatter there for five minutes, then spend the next three years regretting it.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I am and have started

I went and bought all the deluxes, robo vision and probably will get the unleashed and some voyagers next paycheck. TRU has the bikes if anyone is looking and the bike helmets differ between TRU and Walmart.

9. Mumble-bee

Mumble-bee invertebrate lurker

News Credits:
    I haven't got that kind of money to spend all at once ....

besides, I know it'll still be around in a few more weeks.

Although, unlike a typical movie tie-in toy line, transformers is a toy line with a movie, that also has tie-in toys. So it's unlikely that the toyline will have the usual short shelf-life of a movie toyline, but because of the sheer breadth of the toys that are being done, and by virtue of being a toy tie-in line, stores may not order what we think, therefore we should spend all our money as fast as possible so we don't miss out on anything, because it won't hang around as long, because you have fans of the movie, am I pissing anyone off yet, fans of the toys, people coming back, etc etc. And given that Spider-man toys never got as picked over as fast as the Transformers stuff I saw this weekend, you never know how much money you're going to blow all at once.

I did spend more than I originally thought, tho.

10. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah, a similar thing happened to be but for a different YF line. It was either Energon or Armada...I'm trying my best not to get sucked into the hype...although the movie toys are blasted cool in their unique way but I got other stuff on my plate but congrats to thosewho can afford them - I envy ya! :D 

11. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

I understand the SW ep 1 comment, but I am not sure it applies here. I spent over $300 and will be happy even if the movie is bad. Since I bought all the figures I wanted and past on the ones I did not like. I did buy every deluxe, voyager, and leader. But I pased on the rest.

So who care if the movie tanks, buy what you like and not what you do not. That way you will not regret it.

12. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I'm currently avoiding hitting any of the stores because I KNOW this will happen, and I need to save up money for car repairs. The moment I hit the store, my lack of self control will cause me to buy one of everything and then I wont be able to get to work and thus gain money to get more toys. :p 

13. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I will wait a while..for me Its not important with all the other stuff like helmets, raidos, and imo crap. Im to old to wear a Optimus helmet or run around blasting with a laser gun. I will get the toys I want. Other then that I only feed my inner child G1 toys and sex.. and lots of both .

14. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

I'm just going in for Leader Prime and 08' BB.

15. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Leader Prime looks amazing. I bought Bumble Bee and Barricade two pack. Saved me a few bucks and it's a nice little set (Mustang and Camaro).

I think Friday I'll pick up Leader PRime and the Double Prime box (oldschool and newschool prime combo).

As hurtful as it is financially, it's cool to see the days we were all waiting for come to fruition.

Can't wait to see what TF:"Heroes" brings to the line.

Someone once made the statement that Transformers was being treated like Final Fantasy.. Same name, new itterations of characters, story and design. I have to say that this is one thing that keeps TFs fresh. One line, you might like, and one you might hate, but there will always be the next line to present something new and old at the same time. My hope is that Hasbro finally makes a decent cartoon to followup the mythos that we all love.

16. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I'm not saying the movie will suck like Episode 1 -far from it- I think our movie will kick all kinds of ass. But with this much merchandise hitting after a long draught (much of it in formats never before seen!), its very easy to get swept up and make impulse purchases you'll later question.

Personally, I'm leaning toward getting most of the main movie cast, but I'm not going near any peripheral nonsense like the bikes, clothes, board games, kiddie toys, etc etc.

17. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    I have a finite list of what I want to buy:

- Leader Prime (Got him!)
    - StarScream (Voyager, unless they do release a Leader)
    - Barricade (Deluxe, unless they release a Voyager)
    - Megatron (Leader, or maybe the less expensige Voyager - if they release him without ice)
    - Brawl (Deluxe, unless they release a Voyager)
    - Blackout (Voyager, unless they release a Leader)
    - Ironhide (Voyager)
    - Bonecrusher (Deluxe, unless they release a Voyager)

And I'm tempted by Voyager Prime and 2008 Bumblebee too...

Yeah, that's a *finite* list. Notice no helmet, FABs, blasters, 70' Bumblebees, Jazz, Scorpy, Ratchet, Frenzy, Cyber Stompers, Unleasheds, LOCs, etc etc. Still hundreds of dollars.

As you can see, I'm also torn on several of the figures possibly coming out in larger sizes. That is staying my hand a little as well.

I'm not worried about the movie sucking. If it does, these are still some of my favorite character designs and toys EVER.

I do have a probably irrational fear that certain characters will be rare or hard to find, and if I pass them up now I'll regret it later when I can't get them. I'm trying to resist that, mostly based on the fact that if I buy it, it is guaranteed not to become rare, thus I can't really win. :p 

18. Sidecutter

Sidecutter Evil Former Dealer Scum TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ROFL. That's a great pic.

And while I'm commenting, that's a helluva new sig pic too.:sly:  Definitely a step beyond the prior ones. :lolol 

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I didn't go totally crazy. But I will say Friday and Saturday were two days that I bought more than I ever have in 2 days. I was not that in to the A/E/C so much and classics I approached one by one.

But for some reason I really like some of the stuff coming from the movie. The fact that I just got a good bonus at work eased my mind about what I spent, but I still stayed fairly focused on the items I had in mind to get for the past month or so. Didn't buy shoes or board games, but for those who did, good for you. It may be a once in a lifetime opportunity to have an onslaught of TF merchandize.

Or it may start ALL over when the sequel comes out :D 

20. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord, Botbot Collector

Ironhide is so far the best of the mega sized figures that I have (ok, he's the only one but still)