They're calling me a white honkey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Embryoyo, Oct 2, 2010.

1. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

msnbc.com Video Player

Ok, I don't really understand this? Why are they getting so pissed off over this? You can clearly tell that it's not black. A corpse tends to rot in a color somewhat like that. Do you think they're over reacting or do you think they are in the right? Discuss!

2. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think people have a bug up their ass about everything. Hell we had a greeting card pulled from shelves because african americans were pissy it said black holes because they heard black hoes.

Racism is so minor an issue these days they need to seek out and make up controversy. "Oh look the sounds like 'black hoes, I'm offended by you racists!" "Oh look at that halloween display. The figure hanging looks vaguely black. The person who did this wants to lynch blacks and is a racist!" "Oh look a white kid in a afro wig and pimp suit, That's racist!"

3. Embryoyo

Embryoyo Destron

Yeah, I remember reading about that as well not to long ago. Find it all kinda ridiculous. Whatever happened to, if you see something that bothers you just look away. Guess that would be to easy or something I don't know. I mean it be one thing if it was racist, but it's not. I don't understand people.

4. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Yeah sure the black hole thing was absurb but shiiiiiiiit we're only what at most 50 years away from literal state endorsed racism in the USA. The PC police blow many things out of proportion but racism is still (in some cases) very prevalent and can be much more than a minor issue. It's understandable that some people can get very sensitive about it...

5. *Deathblade

*Deathblade Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    first off, 2 random black people =/= some huge movement, so the "theys" are not relevant. I dont post in here or know you enough to say anything, but it really chaps my hide when people use stuff like this to make broad generalizations about black people. The doll looks harmless, but you can find someone who is "offended" by anything. This is a non story.

6. rattrap007

News Credits:
    I'm just saying that the media gets involved in things like this then it gets blown way out of proportion. Yes there is racism still prevalent... on all sides. If this was any other time than around Halloween (late september to end of october) then Yeah I can see racism. If you look close it is clearly a generic ghoul mask. With a blond wig on it.

I can see where at first glance people might take offense, but it is a Halloween decoration in this case. Nothing more.

Maybe the store owner can put an alien or monster head on the dummy and make it a non issue.

Also it is on private property so I feel the person is allowed to do what ever he wants. If it offends you, don't shop there. If i saw a blatant racist effigy, I'd shop elsewhere. If someone put this on someone else's property, THEN i see a problem.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  7. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Oh, so it's okay if it's a white guy hanging?

8. rattrap007

News Credits:
    put it in a pirate or prison uniform..

9. Deceptigtar

Deceptigtar Sworn Decepticon Assassin

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    give me a fucking break. if there was no clothing on it no one would bitch. also go dig a corpse up and im sure it will be pretty close to looking like that. hell i woudlnt be surprise if some black american hasnt bought this same mannequin one halloween and never thought it as a dead black person.

also i dont see too many blonde black women without it being a wig or a weave. not trying to be rude but its true.

i am not racist, but some, not all, black americans create a lot of these stereotypes and situations for themselves.

10. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    I think the part that's more disturbing than people finding it offensive, is that the news is actually covering it. Impartial my ass...they're inciting people to start some shit.

11. rattrap007

News Credits:
    isn't "White honkey" redundant?

12. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    We need to punch some media members in the mouth. That or just kick in their teeth. This stupidity is SO far out of hand. No one cares that a fruit stand in the middle of God knows where has a "questionable" Halloween decoration. Just like, if not for the media, no one would have know about some podunk assed preacher in Fl that wanted to burn the Koran. If the media would make up the news, it wouldn't become news. They jump on any BS story that they can spin into some way out of control drama to get their ratings up. THIS IS NOT NEWS. If you asked 100 people, 33 white, 33 black, 33 hispanic, and 1 arabic, I bet you wouldn't get 5 people that give a rats @$$. I'm sorry, but the media accounts for a hefty amount of the BS and drama that goes on in this country, and if not for them, we might have a better place to live.

If it offends you, don't go there. Don't shop there. Tell your friends not to shop there. Simple as that. All this is doing is giving the fruit stand free advertising for the people that couldn't care about the drama.

13. red4

red4 Banned

Isn't this a political discussion?

14. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Rascism is friggin pointless..........

.........And rascist accusations are even more pointless. If any accuses something being rasicst if anything their rasicst for saying that.

15. Brawlastator

Brawlastator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Why is it that the stupid voices are always the loudest? It makes me sick that people can not only be this stupid, but that they can be this stupid without consequence. Saying that a hanging figure is offensive because black people have been hung in the past is like saying that wearing clothing is offensive because Hitler wore clothes.

16. rattrap007

News Credits:
    All manner of people were hung. Pirates, Old west outlaws, people who simply pissed off the king, suicides, etc.

17. Brawlastator

Brawlastator Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Exactly my point. All manner of people were hung for different reasons. It's not some thing that the white devil exclusively did to black people. Thinking that a hanging figure represents black people because black people were hung in the past is a preposterous idea.

18. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There's a difference between whats offensive and what should be offensive, those who usually make the accusation aren't normally part of the group that they feel would be offended.

For me the worse part of situations like these are the people who claim racism is a non issue. Denying there is a issue is one of main reasons they still exist. Ironically those who are least affected in anyway by racism do this the most. It has been going on for as long as people found reasons to differentiate each other. Saying it somehow magically stopped happening is an ignorant and otherwise ill-informed statement. If it is not something that normally happens/happened to you or is immediately relevant to you, then I can almost see how you would think that. But that doesn't give you the right to tell others how they should feel or react to things. Yes that limits the things you say, do, buy or sell, but that is the type of country in which we live. We share this place we many different cultures, religions, nationalities so it is incredibly easy to step on toes. A fact few like to deal with.

19. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    While true hanging, lynching and slavery were made infamous in their uses by what white American settlers did to African Americans. People seem to associate things like slavery in a purely negative way largely due to this, slavery was not always a bad thing. It really depended on the culture or country doing the enslaving. Same with the Swatiska, before Hitler that symbol meant something completly different. Due to the way he used it, it's almost exclusively seen as an evil symbol in association with Nazis and their assault of the Jews.

20. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

ayyyyyyyyyyyyyyymen!
    Well said.