"They Were Always Real To Me" Video up at Hasbro's Universe Site

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by knook, Jan 29, 2008.

1. highlander3000

highlander3000 Jump around!

News Credits:
    Holy Crap! That was awesome!

2. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

If the movie looked like that it would have flopped harder than any movie in history, ever.

3. Morthoseth

Morthoseth Member

now THAT is how the movie should have looked.

4. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

And if you're thinking it's just because they have the aesthetic of realistic robots, then you're kidding yourself.

5. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Even harder than "Freddy Got Fingered"?

6. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

This video is going to spark a LOT of controversy.

But remember, you can't prove that a full on convincing CGI Transformers would have flopped, in my OPINION, a Transformers movie done in that style would have had longer lasting appeal, even better DVD sales and become a cult classic. That, is, of course, if they had solid, continuous plot and dialogue to go with the solid, continuous designs.

Between this and animated, I'm just more and more turned off the movie. And I have a CRAPLOAD of movie toys, too, so don't call me a hater or G1 Purist.

7. grock35

grock35 Hmmmm...

News Credits:
    that was sick...i wonder what other web eps they have planned for us

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

QFT

While this animation sequence is very impressive, a full-length movie like this would be the same level of popularity of a Direct to DVD Care Bares movie or those AVENGERS 2 animated movies.

That type of animation really has no place in a theatre being passed off as a legitimate summer blockbuster. And I bet it wouldn't be cost effective to do a 90-minute straight to DVD movie with this detail.

It is cool but have some perspective, it doesn't vindicate movie hate.

9. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

What do you even mean "that type of animation"? Animation with one of the most kickass Transformer battles ever, where you can actually SEE the action?

I'm telling you, people are only saying this crap out of defense for the movie. No matter HOW convincing G1-ish CGI is shown to Bay fans, they can just claim that it "looks fake". But you can't prove it! A lot of the movie CGI "Looked fake" to me. Fans are ALWAYS going to be more scrutinising than the general public.

If you genuinely prefer Bay's style, fine. That's okay. But don't pretend there aren't other ways of doing things.

10. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    Got to agree with nkelsch the movie is much better being a blockbuster in the style they used. I loved the movie i thought it kicked ass. While i have small issues in the movie i don't think that this type of animation would have done as well it would have flopped. I would like to see a direct to dvd thing but not for the movie. I loved how they were able to use robots in a real movie style. Honestly also i dont feel that the shaky camera took away from the movie.

11. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

Alright! Listen up everybody! You probably hate me for being negative & bashing Animated all the time. But now you can see why Animated is huge pile of horse vomit. This is the way a new Transformers series should look! This is what I've been wanting. Now you can see why I have been bashing Animated & hate it so much. They can make something like this but they chose to give us Samurai Jack shit. Don't ever try to defend Animated ever again after seeing this video. Animated is garbage, THIS is the real deal!!!

12. GUIGUI

GUIGUI Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It has a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie level of realism, it would have only worked with CGI humans.

13. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

Because companies have access to extensive focus testing to know these things. It can be proved because they know what would be successful and what wasn't going to be successful. They went with the successful designs targeted at a Live CGI with realistic effects opposed to a cartoon CGI with G1 designs. You are saying the movie should have been made LESS popular to the general public to make it MORE popular to the hardcore fan.

Please take a time machine back to 2 years ago when this was discussed ad nauseum.

There are other ways of doing things and those other ways are going to less appeal to the general public. That is why I compared this animation to that you would see in a Direct to DVD video or a video game intro. Both of which are not targeted to a general public but a direct group of people.

14. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

A cheap CGI clip teasing a new toyline is never going to look as real as top notch up to date Hollywood CGI, no matter what style either of them take.

Why do you even feel the need to say this, knowing this? Or do you not realise that all CG is not inherently equal? Honestly, I don't understand this with the movie pushers.

That overall style, with the same budget as the movie, would have looked amazing. In fact, it would have looked better - so much of the budget was spent into all the little unnecessary details.

15. Sycia

Sycia Draconian Faction

Nice! :D  Something to tease the fans with!

Won't compare this with the movie. They're two separate things altogether.

16. Nutcrusher

Nutcrusher Decepticon

News Credits:
    Holy crap!!! Is this what the movie should have been? I would've been happy either way! Total AWESOMENESS!!!

17. TCracker

TCracker R.I.P., 5/2019 Veteran

News Credits:
    Kewl. But seriously, can never worked in the movie platform. Looks like CGI for some console game to me.

18. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

AWESOME!!! Megatron using the steel girder is an awesome homage to all the "accessories" Megsy used in the fights in G1.

19. SCIENCE

SCIENCE Banned

Show me the results of these tests. Plenty of companies make whacky, insane decisions. Godzilla is one of them - most people didn't like that redesign.

Unless you can prove this, you're talking crap.

How do you know this? Hollywood stuff flops all the time. Nobody actually working on the movie CGI has told us this aesthetic would not work. NOBODY. It's only the fans and Nelson that have come up with this shit. It was a STYLISTIC CHOICE. Do you understand? It's just like choosing to make Wolverine look a bit different. It doesn't mean there is another Wolverine they did extensive studies on and the focus groups HATED.

It is not fucking "cartoon CGI". Real mecha would more resemble that CGI because the over-compicated, exposed wiring of the movie bots would be less likely to hold up.

These are all presumptions. Do you realise this? They're not fact. And it drives fans like me nuts. You're talking as if you've been brainwashed. How is not having millions of divided up messy panels "Cartoon CGI"!? Argh....

No, I'm not. You're making the presumption that it would be less popular. That's it. You are not proving it.

Yes, I've done that already - when people like you bullied anyone who didn't like the movie into submission. I ALWAYS take the time to Lurk Moar on forums. Nobody "Proved" a blasted thing.

You cannot prove this. Though I guarantee if you showed this to any member of the general public they'd find it incredible(if they were aware it was quick cheap CGI thrown together to advertise a toyline).

No proof, no evidence, no argument.

Again, there is more than one way of doing something. If they did have extensive testing, the G1 style and Movie style could have scored roughly equal. Did you even consider this? Or, in fact, someone's ego may just have gotten in the way(*cough* Bay) to push for the messier designs.

20. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That was fu%$ing awesome!!!!! I would love if they did updated G1 episodes like this for straight to DVD release, like the marvel animated films. Great idea for a commercial, I hope they do more of these little trailers and throw them on a DVD with the ultras.