They shouldn’t have killed Megatron in the first film

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Mar 15, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    I think that was my only big problem with the film. Sam pushing the AllSpark into Megatron’s chest was a great ending for TFilm1,but it doesn’t seem to work well in the long-term. Look what has happened to Megatron in consequence: he got degraded into the role of supporting villain to the big bad (the Fallen, Sentinel Prime).

In ROTF he got rebuilt as the Fallen’s servant. While I think lots of fans miss the fact that G1 Megatron was similarly revived as Unicron’s servant Galvatron, I agree that Megatron didn’t deserve that fate – he’s Megatron, he is apprentice or disciple to no one! In DOTM he got a little more respect, as a broken-down leader who gets deposed, and then finally decides to take back what is his (it was ironic that the last ten minutes or so – the time when Carly provokes him - he was like himself in the first film again).

Giving each film a separate antagonist may keep the series fresh (and to some degree it keeps the films self-contained so you don’t have to rely on watching the others), but it distracts from the fact that Megatron is THE main villain of the TF saga. That’s how it is, and how it should be.

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

There was a practical reason: At the time, they had absolutely no idea if the movie was going to be succeful or not [keep in mind, Transformers-2007 was pretty much the first live-action adaptation of a toy franchise that worked well, today the idea seems normal, but at the time it was a complete shot in the dark], so in case the movie didn't have a sequel, they killed off the main baddie to not leave the story unfinished.

But in case there was a sequel, they left a subtle Sequel Hook [Starscream flying into space].

A similar case was Iron Man, at the time, Comic Book movies in general were a bit dead-on-the-water, Iron Man was a shot in the dark, so they had to kill off the main baddie [though I doubt they'd leave him alive either way] to not leave the story unfinished, but also left a subtle Sequel Hook at the same time ["I'm here to talk about the Avengers initiative"].

3. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    Or they shouldn't have introduced the Fallen in the second film. Its just stupid to watch two movies in a row where Megatron ISN'T the leader. And I think we all know who the better villain was between Sentinel and the Fallen (it ain't the Fallen).

That would've given Megatron more screen time and they could have explored the Optimus and Megatron dynamic. And it would'vve made his downfall in DotM all the more meaningful.

4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

I actually didn't mind it because it brought closure to the first film. If no sequels were made after that, I would have been disappointed, but I could have lived without them. I didn't mind Megatron's resurrection just because I enjoyed ROTF and DOTM.

5. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    I think something else. Megs should have stayed dead. The sequels should have been about Starscream getting smacked around by bigger bad guys.

6. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    Well said! *claps*

7. Hanzkaz

Hanzkaz Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I hope they don't bring Megatron back again in Transformers 4. I definitely didn't like the fact that he was a sidekick to Sentinel Prime and the Fallen. What happened to 'Megatron bows to no one!'?

8. Rakuen_Nox

Rakuen_Nox Well-Known Member

i'm with starscreamownz here; killing mess was fine but the res in ROTF was what lead to his downfall, id have rathered we have starscreamed manned war effort in ROTF with screamer seeking help of the original deception to cement is authority as deception leader only for it all to go down hill!
    THEN DOTM could have had Soundwave masterminding the reestablishment of the deception threat by sending ravage and co to res Megs whilst simultaneously tricking autobots into reviving sentinel...

9. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    This more. Megatron could've fulfilled the basis of The Fallen's role and plan in RotF with very little change to the movie. And him being the 'fallen' one from the '07 movie the RotF title would've still been apt, moreso even because of Megatron wanting revenge for his defeat in the first film.

10. Rayzilla Prime

Rayzilla Prime I RIP ALL MY RAZE!

Am I the only one who thinks Megatron's resurrection is symbolic of how powerful he is? I thought it added to his character in ROTF and DOTM.

ROTF - Just the fact he came back and was more powerful. Plus, I never thought he was a second-in-command to The Fallen, more or less Megatron's creator. But more like he was chosen to lead the Decepticons to victory.

DOTM - He's cheated death. Why should a battle scar (his head wound) bring him down?

11. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    This is a diff continuty, thus diff Megatron, then again this megatron is workiing with them just because there is something for him in those alliance (Fallen promised him the powers of a prime; With Sentinel, their planet would be rebuilt)

12. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You're right, OP, they shouldn't have killed a villain they had plans to use later in the first film, since it essentially cheapened any death that happened after his ressurrection. By the same token, they shouldn't have written the story in such a way that Megatron's death in the first film was the only way the good guys could have won.

I actually liked the "decay" of Megatron, though I wish the arc had a lot more meat on it.

13. DepthWave

DepthWave Decepticon Storm Trooper.

News Credits:
    When I saw, how they tried to throw him out to the Ocean, I just thought:"Why didn't they melt him down".
    I presume, in that way it would be harder to restore Lord Megatron.
    And quite funny, I think.

14. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    micheal bay and everyone involved were not sure if TF1 was going to be succesfull and if there was going to be sequels, so they killed megatron in case no sequel was made

15. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I agree but clearly the writing couldn't avoid it.

Second I hated how he ended up decaying each film and dies like a bitch at the end of DOTM.

16. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You're right, but they could have easily written the story in such a way that Megatron survived, leaving the door open for his return in a sequel, while at the same time having a satisfying conclusion to the story.

17. eagc7

eagc7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    YouTube:
    like sending him to stasis?

18. Killamarshan

Killamarshan Iacon Tourist

In 1977 no one knew whether or not Star Wars was going to sell tickets but Lucas didn't kill his main antagonist.

It's Bay's simplistic storytelling style as a director, to have the good guy kill the bad guy at the end ... as massive amounts of people watch his movies it obviously works for him.

There are many, many different things I would have liked to have seen in the Bay Trilogy including not having Meagtron die in the first movie, but it's just crying over spilt milk.

19. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    To add to my case; most of Megatron's scenes might as well have been written for Screamer. Like Starscream gloating about conquering Chicago to Sentinel then getting beat up. Then sitting depressed in a corner somewhere and being slightly reasonable enough to listen to Carly and attack Sentinel from behind. Watch those scenes and picture starscream and his voice instead of Megatron and try to tell me that doesn't look more like a cowardly ego case then Megatron.

20. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

First off, the comparison makes no sense, Transformers was a goddamn toy franchise, not one toy franchise-based movie managed to be succeful before 2007, companies had as much faith on it as they'd have on a remake of Trolls 2, it was an absolute shot in the dark.

Star Wars was a SCI-FI, that genre worked very well way before SW [Star Trek for instance], was it risky? Yes, a bit. But it was nowhere near the shot in the dark TF was [in that field].

Secondly, if you watch A New Hope closely, you'll notice Admiral Tarkin is the most proactive villain of the movie, not Vader [who does actually very little other than killing Obi-Wan], and Tarkin gets killed off at the end of the movie. The same principle still applies here, only on a lesser scale.

Third, it is very easy to win every argument using the exception as the rule.