They Might Be Giants

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Primevil, May 7, 2006.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    I first heard of these guys a LONG time ago when Tiny Toon Adventures did those "Particle Man" and "Istanbul" music videos. And in the years since, I thought they were one of those groups that fizzled out before I heard of them.

Needless to say, I was surprised a few weeks ago when I learned they were performing here in Savannah. I got my ticket and went to the concert on Thursday. And I had a BLAST.

Although I didn't know most of their songs ("Istanbul" was the only one I'd heard of), it was still a great show. They announced before the show that they would do two sets: the first was their Venue Songs (a series of songs they performed for the venues on their previous tour), where they ask the audience to remain seated as the band is emotionally detatched. The second was the rock concert, where they invite the audience to stand up and come closer to the stage while the band pretends to be emotionally attached to the fans.

And while I was at the concert I bought their Venue Songs CD/DVD set, autographed by the band (though during the show they claimed most of the signatures were fake :lol  ). I figured for $20 it was a pretty good deal.

(Incidentally, the text my new sig is based on lyrics from "The Statue Got Me High", with "storm" replacing "stone". Hey, if it works, it works.)

Anyone else a fan? I wish I realized they were still around earlier so I could have already owned some of the CDs.

2. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I think they are ok. I’m not going out to get any of there CDs but I have nothing ageist them and some of there songs are fun.

3. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Love 'em.

Never had a chance to see them play live unfortantly, but still they rank as one of my top bands.

The Venue Songs are pretty awesome.

4. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    They're pretty cool. They did some stuff with Homestar Runner awhile back.

The first thing they did was write a song for SBEmail. The one about what SB would change in the town.

Then they did the My Expirimental Film for the cartoon of the same name.

I also believe they did all of the Puppet Jam clips.

5. vf-xx

vf-xx ereh ees ot gnihtoN

Ebay:
    They also do the theme for 'Malcom in the Middle' IIRC.

Their a strange band. I really like some of thier songs and really dislike others.

6. Kupp

Kupp Ford Fanboy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    My Girlfiend is a Big fan of theirs, as were two friends of mine in college, so I have been subjected to them numerous times. Ana Ng is probally my favorite song of theirs. Although Particle Man and Istanbul are also quite good.

My GF tends to play their CD's often when we travel, it is nice in that I can completely ignore it without trying. Makes long distance travel go by faster.

As VF-xx pointed out they do Malcolm in the Middle, as well as the song for "The Oblongs" Those songs are good too.

7. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    TMBG also do all the incidental music for The Daily Show. they were tapped to a new theme but Bob Mould's "Dog On Fire" proved too popular to replace.

I've seen them probably 6 or 7 times in the past decade or so. They never fail to amuse and entertain.

if you're just getting into them I HIGHLY reccomend getting Dial-A-Song
    [​IMG]
    Its 2disc Best-of. so many great fun songs on there.

Heh, I got my iTunes on shuffle and "Snail Shell" just came on...

8. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I'm a big fan and have been for about 15 years. One of the cleverest bands out there. If you're new to them I second the recommendation to purchase Dial-a-Song. It's a fantastic retrospective, with both hit songs and many of their best album tracks. I also highly recommend the documentary Gigantic, which is a movie that was made about their career a couple of years ago and is very good.

At the same time, I do have a problem with them in that they've used the MP3 era of music to get too prolific and put too much material out. They now release several MP3 only albums each year, and there's a lot of crap on those albums. They don't seem to even bother to weed out any of the bad songs, since their rabid fans will buy it anyway. Most bands put out an album with 12 songs on it every 2 or 3 years. TMBG have gotten to the point that they put out 100+ songs a year, and I feel like they suffer for it by having too much junk available.

9. Shipley

Shipley No Topic Required

News Credits:
    I agree. when technology and costs limited them on the number of songs they could release at a time, the albums were really good because they probably still wrote a hundred songs a year, but had to pick the top 15 or so to make the album.

I'm sure if they collected the 'best' of their MP3 podcast stuff over the last couple years you'd have a solid collection of songs.

10. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I love TMBG. I saw them live in Bloomington a couple of years ago and that really cemented my enjoyment of them; I had been a "eh, they're pretty cool" fan until I saw them bring the house down on stage. They're probably one of the most amusing - and entertaining - off-the-beaten-path bands around nowadays.

11. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I agree that anyone interested should pick up the dial a song cd. The Gigantic doco is pretty good, but I imagine any non hardcore fan might find it a bit tedious.

If we're going for some specific song recommendations, off the top of my head I would say...

Till My Head Falls Off
    Rest a While
    Why Does the Sun Shine? (live)
    Hovering Sombrero
    Dark and Metric
    Nothing's Gonna Change My Clothes

13. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

I had heard them on Tiny Toons, but didn't know who they were until later, when I was introduced to the songs "I Palindrome I" and "Birdhouse In Your Soul". They were my first introduction to the genre of "nerd rock". Lots of fun music! :) 

14. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

"Son, I am able," she said, "though you scare me."
    "Watch," said I.
    "Beloved," I said. "Watch me scare you though," said she,
    "Able am I, son."

There are many songs that showcase their lyrical genius, but I like using that example.

15. AutobotWonko

AutobotWonko Toy Pimp

I love TMBG. Right now I am loving Museum of Idiots for some reason. I own all their CDs except a few EPs. Sadly I have not went to see them in concert yet. I have never lived close enough to any of the cities they go to.

I have more non-album songs on my computer from downloading and the TMBG clock radio. They are a clever and different band than is never the same and does not get old.