They getting worse or better?

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by DaggersRage, Jun 4, 2007.

1. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Well, just curious, *prays this doesnt start a flame*, you guys think that video games (all platforms) are getting better or worse?

I think they're getting better with all the new tech there is for them.

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Perfect By Nature

News Credits:
    Can't it be both?

Better in terms of graphics and gameplay ablilities. But now a game has to be pretty popular to garner a sequel, making it harder for the 'off' titles to leave a big impact. During the days of the SNES and Sega Toe Jam and Earl and Earthbound were sweet, now it's not often I find something that quirky or different. Plus, Remember Battletoads?!?!

3. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Ehhhhhhhhh, I usually prefer if the answer remained in one catagory, I do know what you are talking about though. I came from mostly PC gaming and seen action games like Crusader: No Remorse stand up to Duke Nukem 3D or Quake.

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I still have Battletoads on my NES. So totally awesome.

I think if used correctly the tech can open up for some fantastic games.

But my best example is Dead Rising on 360, the extra power allows for ALL THOSE ZOMBIES. Absolutely freaking fantastic. Right up until you have to rescue a survivor and the Survivor AI won't allow them to climb up a step to safety. Super technology, crippled by shitty code.

5. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Definitely better. I don't think there has been a better time to be a game enthusiast.

6. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Yes it's a great game,but besides the survivor codebug,it's got the time run crap/save overwrites which takes all the fun out of it.
    A shame really as a freeplay mode would have been better then a storymode for me.

Dead Rising is a good example,the up coming Assasins Creed and MetalGearSolid4 are others.
    I think the tech for a really good game is here now,but whether or not the developers use it is the problem.

7. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I agree with it being both at the same time. Graphics and what can be done in a game have never been better, but I think we're starting to reach the summit, and may soon be heading down the slope.

In terms of the basic categories of games (shooter, rpg, racing, etc) we're just about hitting the peak of what our technology can do in terms of making a better gameplay experience. Sure graphics can improve, but I feel that improvement in graphics is leading to the law of diminishing returns. I remember being amazed when I saw titles like Mario 64, and Goldeneye 007; but today, nothing really hits me that hard, not even Crysis. You can see that we've already started hitting the peak of what faster processors and all can deliver to gameplay; notice all the cross-genre games such as Stalker (RPG/FPS), Oblivion (First person hack and slash/ RPG), GTA (basically a jack of all trades with action, driving, etc). And it should be noted that many other games have begun to rely on cinematic flare to make the title more engaging.

I also agree that there is a HUGE problem with making good games get noticed without an impressive budget. I fear that we are beginning to see the end of things such fun and quirky games such as Katamari Damacy. There are a few quirky stand out titles such as Little Big Planet and Viva Pinata, but I don't think we are going to see as many of these type of games as time goes on.

Lastly, I think the Wii is probably the best thing to happen to gaming in general in a long time. So far, the console has been incredibly successful worldwide and Im hoping that in the next generation, this may shake up things a little bit, and force companies to take larger risks rather than just staying with the status quo in terms of interface (Seriously Sony, you have used the same damn controller for 3 generations, and I never particularly cared for it in the first place).

I also think that downloadable content is taking us quickly down a path we dont want to travel. Sadly, I don't see a revolt from users coming to fix that anytime soon.

8. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

As long as EA Games can make games, and people buy them, I say WORSE.

9. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

While there are some stand out ones, I'd have to say that PC games have been on a downward slope since at least 2000. Big publishers (and quite a few developers, eg. Bethesda) forcing games to appeal to the lowest common denominator is the main cause followed by the very rapid advancement in computer technology in the past 10 years. This forced developers to concentrate on graphics at the expense of gameplay. Nice graphics are fine, but having an aesthetic that works is more important than utilizing the latest graphical technology.

I'm starting to see the same thing with consoles as well. The number of gems (games developed by smallish developers, games that aren't hyped up, games that focus on gameplay) is dwindling with each new console generation. Games nowadays "have" to be big productions with massive budgets. The only exception is Nintendo, but that's not that good of an exception. Simple, gimmicky games that try to appeal to everyone aren't advancing any genres or games in general. If anything it's just a reversion to the simple, gimmicky games of yore. Nothing wrong with having those, but don't delude yourself by thinking that they are revolutionary/evolutionary/or whatever buzzword you can think of.

A collapse of the market seems fairly close.

10. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

Well ya if console games have 9 processors in em I would be a console noob all day. But vid cards are popping up every 2 months but games pop every 6 months it seems.

All in all, I think things like graphics and game design are moving along rather swimmingly.

PS2
    pre-Geforce era video, 7.5 million transistors (lots of embedded ram)
    No pixel shaders
    Flimsy MIPS CPU
    Two vector units with 4 FMADD units
    32 MB of RAM, 3.2 GB/s
    DVD player (4.7 GB)

PS3
    Geforce 7 video card, 300 million transistors (little embedded ram)
    Pixel shaders
    G5 (PowerPC9XX) CPU
    7 SPEs (vector units) with 4 FMADD
    256 MB of RAM, 25.6 GB/s + 22.4 GB/s
    Blu-Ray disc player (25 GB)
    1 Emotion Engine (PS2)

Xbox vs. 360 comparison on cNet.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11226_7-6400489-4.html?tag=btn

11. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

The only downside I see is that games are getting shorter.

12. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

The main downside for me is with the power of new consoles, stupidity and laziness become apparent in games. The big thing that gets my back up is when people can't run up stairs convincingly, you see them run up a slope, they don't climb the stairs or come into proper contact with them.

13. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

I'm finding that the better the graphics are, the worse the gameplay gets. It's either that or the game ends up being too short, which is just as annoying considering you just paid $50 for a game that only has less than 10 hours of play in it.

Nothing has impressed me yet for the PS3, and the only games I want on the Wii are old NES, SNES games. The Xbox360 though, there's at least 1 game I want, but I've got quite a while to go until it's released.

14. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

i find early games for a console are always shorter. compare some early snes games with late nes games. you could plow through a lot of early snes games in a half hour

15. BMGFX

BMGFX Awesome Spooner Veteran

I think one thing that needs to be addressed in the developing community is that next gen graphics need to be met by next gen animations. Better collision detection, environment recognition (as mentioned before with the stairs thing), facial emotion, and overall smoothness.

Also, I think "next gen" features that should have been commonplace by now are still not being embraced by developers while they should. For instance, since consoles got hard drives, custom soundtracks has been a very good feature to have, yet so few games have taken advantage of it. The cameras made for the consoles have brought good results when putting your face in the game, yet barely anyone has taken advantage of the technology.

16. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    I do like the pretty high def graphics of my PS3 and I still think Resistance is a very fun game 1 player or multi. But the game I think was the coolest new thing in the last few years was Katamari Damacy. The graphics may not have been cutting edge, but the gameplay and idea was so original. It's a game like that, that gives me hope for the future of gaming.