Customs: These "new" rivet/pins on TR figures

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by gbm, Jun 25, 2017.

1. gbm

gbm Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I am in need of punching a few pins from a Titans Return Chromedome figure, but I noticed that they aren't traditional pins; rather they have a traditional pin end, and the other is a flat rivet looking head.

Is removing this done by heating that flat end up, and simply punching it from the other end? Will it reset back into place then when I attempt to put it back together?

Curious as to why the change? All the TR figures seem to be using these in place of traditional, knurled end pins.

2. TCJJ

TCJJ 102% Tank Engine

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Soldering iron is the way to go, yes. You could just try punching them out but I've personally had very little luck with that (though if you have a hammer/proper pin punch/something like that, I'd recommend trying that first). Then again, I've had a lot of trouble with using a soldering iron too - some plastics seem to not want to give unless you get the pin super-hot, to the point where the plastic will likely deform.

Granted, I could personally do with a better soldering iron, but I've rarely had pin removals be completely clean with a soldering iron.

And yes, they go back in fairly well. You can probably get most back in with little effort (maybe using some pliers or a hammer), but if need be, carefully use a soldering iron to put the pin back in place. Just remember that you might want to hold it with something but if you hold the pin with an object such as metal pliers, the heat will transfer to the pliers and it'll be much harder to heat the pin up to get it back in. Just something to keep in mind.

3. Agamus

Agamus Not an Iguana

There's a thread about this in the tutorial section