There's something about Soundwave...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Katamari Prime, Mar 18, 2007.

1. Katamari Prime

Katamari Prime Hassan Chop! TFW2005 Supporter

From what I've seen on the boards, and in the minds of many, Soundwave is one fo the stand out toys for people. This may be due to his alt form making him accesible by not being a gun from either G1, Titanium, or Cyberton versions, or that he can carry smaller figure inside him, a feature that not many have even today. While the personality of his cartoon self can be debated(and has), It doesn't seem to matter to anyone when they get one of the figures. Could it be that Soundwave has the toy mojo? maybe the design? or is it simply nostalgia?

2. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave 俺の魂は燃えていない!

News Credits:
    I'd say all three :p 
    Soundwave is a classic character just like Optimus Prime.

3. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    strictly toy wise:
    - passable alt mode
    - interactivity with other figures (his cassettes)
    - excellent looking bot mode with size

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I like Soundwave for the following reasons:

1) Realistic alt mode. Very convincing as a tape recorder.
    2) Robotic voice, combined with his passive personality makes him very robot like. Emotionless and cold.
    3) Cassettes. Even though he's got gun and shoulder mount cannon those are not his main weapons. His arsenal comes from myriad of cassettecons that he can summon to do his bidding.
    4) Place in Decepticon hierarchy. He's the #3 man behind Starscream and he's probably the most important Con to Megatron.
    5) Toy. Even after 20 years I still prefer his toy to many of today's TF. With cassettes you have almost unlimited playability.

5. TCM Hitchhiker

TCM Hitchhiker Decepticon

Soundwave was my first Transformer, when Transformers were first released, before the rub signs, and my favorite character all the way through. This was before any cartoon or comic influance. The fact that he could transform into a cassette player and actually hold cassetes and eject them was extremely cool to me. I have always been a music fan, even when I was very young. KISS ruled my world. But it was his robot mode that really did it for me. A very cool design, good colors, nice size. I still to this day think he is the coolest looking Transformer, and at this point, I don't think there is anything that will change my mind.

Nostalgia
    Robot design
    Alt mode

All a factor for me.

6. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    For me, I always liked Soundwave because he was so unique. The voice, the minions, the alt mode...it stood out from everyone else. Blaster came along and took away the novelty of the alt mode, but the voice...no one had a voice that stood out to me like that. Plus the toy was badass too.

7. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

hmmm...............

[​IMG]

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    hehe good one, i noticed the title too XD

now we need rumble in a zipper incident.

9. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

lawls

10. Katamari Prime

Seven posts, that's how long it took for the joke. Congratulations, TheJacker!

11. TheJacker

TheJacker Banned

lol if my computer wasnt old are the hills it wouldve been the secod post

12. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    "Toy Mojo", heh.

I'll just say Soundwave (both toy and character) is special to fans and casual nostalgics because he's different relative to other autobots and decepticons, and stands out because of it.

His attitude and voice make him more 'robotic'.
    He's got his own crew of cassettes. (Even Blaster didn't do that until the Movie)
    a 1:1 scale altmode, for human interactivity,
    Interactivity with the cassettes,
    Being a pretty cool toy at the time, and even still today.

The downside of being Soundwave is he doesn't 'modernize' very easily. Everyone wants a new updated Soundwave toy, or to have the character in the live-action film, but the result is either a remake with a semi-archaic alt-mode (Titanium), no attempt at a similar altmode (Cybertron), or an update with a loss of cassette-style minions (Mp3 SW).

13. Katamari Prime

I forgot about the MP3 player, But you do have a point. Though, The Cybertron version is closer to working for him than the G2.

14. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    now imagine soundwave saying that in his vocoder voice, imitating austin powers.

15. 138 Scourge

138 Scourge WE R 138

Soundwave's just one of them iconic guys. Everything about the original character worked for him so well...it would have been easy for a tape-deck former to come off as a smaller, weaker character, especially when he's on a team with a gun and a group of fighter jets, but his porportions and minions really make him look like a powerful and dangerous character. The fact that he keeps an army in his chest doesn't hurt any, either.

I'm a huge fan of the Cybertron version, as well, even if he is so different than the original. Especially on the cartoon. The fake "street-DJ-hip-whatever" speak in that faintly echo-ey, deadpan robot voice was a new take on the original's style without just imitating it. And, for some reason, I found it equally endlessly hilarious and kind of creepy.

16. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Old

He is the first Transformer that you can stick an object into....educational!

...besides fists...or um hands

17. AMG

AMG Old School

Soundwave is a Decepticon legend both in the hearts of fans and in the show. Extremely loyal to Megatron without question, and he has a mini army of troops at his command. He is just an all around cool bot.

When I think of G1 Icons, he is among the list.

18. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I love Soundwave... he's my #1 favorite Decepticon of all time. Megatron and Starscream, they're bickering morons.