There's so much that can be done with TF games!

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    As good as WfC was, HMS aren't being too imaginative in the games and are thinking too much in terms of other TPS.

What would the game be like if it ran on Frostbite 2? (In case people are unaware this is the engine used in the Battlefield games).

The level of detail with the engine is amazing plus there are destructible environments. Think about it, how can you have a war of such proportions and just have blast stain the floor and buildings. Imagine if for example DOTM ran on the Frostbite engine. You could be fighting and the buildings could be crumbling and that can add to strategy; you can throw a bot into a building and blast it, sending the building crashing onto them for extra damage.

Or maybe you can do an Optimus vs Megatron moment and fly through there building.

There is so much that can be done in these games if they used their imaginations. Why can't ground bots jump and grab onto jets where the two can fight to see if the jet stays in the sky or the ground-bot falls? Why can't they melee properly? Why do we only get stiff moving robots marching across the battlefield shooting when a lot more can be done with the game.

WfC removed scaling buildings, rolling, melee combos and other stuff but these things make combat less dynamic.

2. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I agree.
    I think for a TF game, they could do something mixing WFC and Devil May Cry.

I mean, I hate Devil May Cry with passion, but that game had the whole shooter-melee thing pretty matched, they should take inspiration in that melee-shooter way when making a TF game, one of the things that bothered me most on WFC was the lack of a good melee [and on DOTM is even worse as the movie-verse consists almost entirely of pure brawl between the robots, to the point Optimus rarely uses his Ion Cannon].

You would be able to execute "special moves" [like throwing a 'Bot through a building or flying and landing on his head] with button combination while still retaining the third person shooter from WFC [and the transformation aspect as well, though making that thing a bit faster].

3. Trenner Dios

Trenner Dios Humility > Huge Ego

It's very bitter-sweet to fantasize about the perfect TF game. It's wonderful to imagine what we could have if it could somehow embody the look, feel, and action of the movies and tv series. However, when adding transformation elements to a shooter seems to suffice in terms of general fun and sales, it's doubtful that any developer or publisher will really try to do much more with it. Of course, you never know.

4. Shizuka

News Credits:
    Yeah. It makes me wish I had the skill or I swear I would do this.

Oh! They can add executions too. Imagine Optimus executing Grindor or Megatron ripping Jazz. That in a game would be epic. Imagine beating a bot to 5% health then press "X" and Optimus takes out his sword, rips the face off and the dead bot falls onto his knees and explodes/turns to ash.

Such an epic TF needs to be made WfC2 though probably satisfactory isn't good enough for my TF needs. *Sigh*

5. RoadBuster88

RoadBuster88 Studio Ghibli

Everything Shizuka said = golden :) 

6. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

Cybertron has some pretty durable buildings, so I doubt destructible environments would feel "real" in a game on Cybertron. On Earth it would be epic, however. Also, more games need to use DMM, (Digital Molecular Matter), a special physics engine that allows materials to react like they do in real life. Look it up!
    Also, what about more vehicular combat? Saws that fold out of the alt-mode, spikes, oil slicks? A bit of an expansion on Stealth Force, but with more traditional gadgetry. Or what about just full on melee weapons for robot mode. A Scout with his sword out at all times, ready to execute someone. The camera moves right behind him as he's sneaking around, cloaked and ready to strike.

7. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

To be frank, I think ROTF was headed the right way gameplay-wise, but the design fell so flat on its ass. The game actually gave a reason to use your alt mode, such as boost jumps, and melee rushes, but it still became a bit stale when the only thing to do was fight the same couple of drones a few times.
    Then there's WFC, which actually had decent effort put into it, but that just really gave us metallic Gears of War. Alt modes were rather worthless unless you had to reach certain areas with a jet, etc.
    There's only so much that transforming can accomplish in a video game. Unless and until a developer can find a good use for it, we're either stuck with generic shooters or generic shooters with tacked-on driving missions.

8. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    Money and time!! That's really the biggest issue that developers face. The issue is that added complexity takes time to do, and on top of that, you have to buy the licensing to use the engine if you don't already do so. If your publisher is breathing down your neck telling you to push out product, then often times you just don't have the time needed to build such complexity.

9. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I've said this myself as DMM is amazing. I saw a video for DOTM the game and Ironhide dropped on a bus and the bus did not even react so I said add in DMM because in Star Wars it's simply AMAZING. You can meet giant doors and every time you use force push at different areas it bends realistically.

I think them mentality with most developers nowadays is that they want to quickly produce a product and get the money. There are a few good developers out there but I would honestly appreciate a Transformers game that took 5 years to make that had all of these brilliant ideas in them.

10. PlanckEpoch

PlanckEpoch Brony

News Credits:
    It isn't as much as the Devs as it is the publisher. Sure there are dev teams that are pretty bad, such as Treyarch, but the reality is that the majority of the blame is publishers. Publishers do NOT want to see a game 5 years in development unless it's an MMO for instance. The longer you spend on a game, the more money the publishers and investors have to put in, and the less and less money the publishers feel they will make with the game.

Rocksteady Studios had to almost beg to get an extra year to polish off Batman: Arkham Asylum before the publisher forced them to publish it. Few studios ever get that much time even if they needed. Warhammer Online was a game that was very much killed by Publisher haste just as much as incompetence by the devs.

11. Shizuka

News Credits:
    I know what you mean. I remember that the publisher for Crackdown 2 kept pushing them and so the game was released very quickly and turned out crap.

12. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

Hell. Yes. :D 

Man, I would have been fully satisfied with DOTM if they combined the graphics style of the game but the gameplay was like the ROTF game, scale buildings and all that stuff.

Plus, lets make the environments more realistic! I want to see actual traffic I can blow up and pedestrians getting out of their cars and running in fear! If I tear down a wall of an office building I want to see people at their desks shitting themselves with horror praying that I have mercy and will not shred them to pieces!

Okay, maybe I got a bit too carried away with that last part :lol  but damn that would be sweet!

13. TheGame2K5

TheGame2K5 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think Transformers would make for a great action RPG similar to Dragon Age. You would level up abilities, weapons throughout the game, select diff squad mates to take on missions, etc. I think it would be a lot more fun than just another shooter.

14. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A Transformers RPG would be fucking glorious.